V5.20.14 early access build

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Try measuring near field with 10 dB corrections and see if the measurements match the prediction as they did with the 20 dB corrections using the same Q values.

serko70

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
Here you go

Attachments

• rew_output.txt
    184.8 KB · Views: 17

serko70

More  
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
Try measuring near field with 10 dB corrections and see if the measurements match the prediction as they did with the 20 dB corrections using the same Q values.
I am working on that. In the mean time, very minor problem:

Alignment Tool / Fit Screen to data ignores black aligned line response:

1669651805500.png

serko70

More  
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON

Mic 5 cm away from tweeter and same level. 8,000 Hz & 16,000 Hz measured levels for varios gains:

Attachments

• Near Field EQ Q Factors.mdat
    9.7 MB · Views: 17

serko70

More  
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
Looks good for using the RBJ Q settin
Very small differences are probably rounding errors to 2 decimal digits. How did you come up with these numbers? They sure aren't octave related :)

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I just used values that made the predicted SPL for the No EQ measurement match the measurements with the filters applied.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Another few updates today:
  • Added a button in the Overlay RT60 graph controls to export the average of the selected traces, along with the standard deviation and number of measurements that contributed to the average at each frequency
  • Switched to a separate dialog for the soundcard preferences Check levels and Calibrate soundcard steps as the buttons on the help panel were too easily overlooked
  • Added an option in the filter adjust graph controls to highlight the target match range

Also addressed the following from earlier builds:
  • Bug fix: Custom noise filters did not work properly if only low cut or only high cut was selected
  • Bug fix: Cal file sensitivity check did not apply the FlexASIO special case
  • Bug fix: EQ filters panel became slow to open/close after a while
  • Re-enabled multiple selection for the mdat file dialog
  • Help pages now have a dark background when using the dark theme
  • Possible fix for macOS Ventura report of 2nd attempt at exporting IR as WAV results in file dialog appearing behind main REW window (not reproduced though)
  • Take aligned sum into account for fit to data on All SPL graph when using the Alignment tool

ApolloXXVI

More  
Main Amp
Bel Canto REF 600M
DAC
Holo Audio May
Front Speakers
Focal Sopra No 3
Streaming Equipment
Grimm Audio MU1
John,

Thank you for trying to fix my "macOS Ventura report of 2nd attempt at exporting IR as WAV results in file dialog appearing behind main REW window".

I tried it again in ea9 and ea10, and unfortunately, I am still experiencing the same. Let me know if you need anything from me to help identify the source of the issue.

Philippe

KSTR

V5.20.14 has moved to a new look and feel, FlatLaf, for most components, to modernise the appearance and make it easier to adjust. That involved a lot of changes, as many REW interface components were heavily customised, so I'm making early access builds available to help pick up any interface issues ahead of the full release. If you spot any problems please post about them here.
Just tried the new version on Linux Mint but what in the world is this, the visual interface seems totally broken? Windows/panels have no visible borders and the window/panel which currently has the focus cannot be identified as there is no accent color of the title bar. Note that both features have been industry standard for professional software for years, if not decades, for good reasons. A GUI that looks fancy and modern but disrespects the most basic requirement for ergonomics is a failure IMO.

For example, it's almost impossible to grab a window and move it around or resize it with the mouse when you don't see where it ends, plus the overall broken and messy appearance (see screen shot) hurting the eyes, flying blind. If you cannot identify which window/panel has the focus how is one supposed to ever use keyboard shortcuts? Etc etc...

Sorry for the rant, but I find that new design completely unusable and it spoils the whole idea of being a user-friendly software.

Do you see any chance to change that to well-established industry standards? That would be highly appreciated and I would guess I'm not the only user who is hugely irritated by the new design...

1670168467470.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Seems to be a Linux feature, I'll see what I can do about it. In the meantime try the Dark theme and see if that is OK.

1670169442483.png

thothsong

The only title bar change I see in Windows 10 for focus change is the shade of gray used for the title text, which is pretty subtle.

KSTR

The only title bar change I see in Windows 10 for focus change is the shade of gray used for the title text, which is pretty subtle.
Undermining the standards happened to start after XP, sadly. But with some tinkering you can have a title bar accent color. The title bar accent can be overridden by user software, though, starting with Windows' own utitilies :-(
And sadly some professional softwares do that too, for example Altium Designer.
In Linux Mint ergonomics are fine (but not out of the box, needs some tinkering too).

This is how V5.20.13 looks like on my Linux Mint machine:
1670171807731.png

The different shades of gray backgrounds also help big time to clarify what going on the screen.

dcibel

Another few updates. It has been very tricky to move through impulse responses at high zoom levels, so I have tried to tackle that by adding an impulse response navigator. It sits below the impulse graph, replacing the scroll bar, and shows the entire response with the currently displayed portion highlighted. The highlighted region can be dragged to reposition the view, with smooth scrolling even at very high zoom. Clicking anywhere in the navigator view centres the displayed portion on the click. If the mouse wheel is used while the mouse is over the navigator the graph will be zoomed along its time axis, centred on the time axis position of the mouse pointer in the main graph.

View attachment 56978

There is now an option to "Fill silence with dither" on the Measure dialog and the Measurement sweep panel of the signal generator. If this is selected the generator will replace silent parts of the sweep with 16-bit dither. This option is provided to try and counter aggressive output muting which some DACs exhibit when one of their input channels does not have any signal. There is some penalty in the impulse response noise level, though it is far below the noise floor for acoustic measurements, only potentially having an impact when measuring electronics. Nonetheless the option should only be selected if required to counter device behaviour.

There are now controls in the room simulator to set the SPL at the top and bottom of the response graph.
For this new impulse response navigator, I think it would be great for the navigator to have little pull tabs to act as zoom function, instead of using the +/- buttons for zoom and the navigator in place of the scroll bar. Navigator can function for scroll and zoom. I can provide an example from something I use at work that uses plotly to generate graphs in a similar manner. It would also be great to have this feature added to the impulse tab in the overlay window as well.

I'd like to request addition of Tukey 0.5, Tukey 0.75, and cosine functions to the IR windowing capabilities.

As a special request for the overlay window, I would also prefer if by default it showed the same selection of responses that are selected in the ALL SPL tab, rather than showing all responess by default.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
For this new impulse response navigator, I think it would be great for the navigator to have little pull tabs to act as zoom function, instead of using the +/- buttons for zoom and the navigator in place of the scroll bar.
You can use the mouse wheel anywhere in the navigator area to zoom the x axis.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Updated to build ea11:
  • Bug fix: Stepped sine THD measurements vs frequency could plot harmonics beyond their valid range
  • Bug fix: Frequency band header could appear on stepped level measurements
  • Bug fix: Try and fix missing dialog borders on Linux

phofman

I have been using Mint Mate since 2016, always the default theme. Every new release has lower contrast compared to the previous edition. Top windows decoration, scrollbar slider, still harder to see. It's called "modern".

I was never lucky with different themes, there was always some inconsistency, in some specific case.

Klaus, I see your decoration blue, do you use a different theme?

IMO the move to FlatLaf is good for the future of REW. There may be issues with linux windowing environments which at best should be reported to their gihub https://github.com/JFormDesigner/FlatLaf Maybe there is some recommended setup for linux (apart of the officially documented one), maybe something should be handled differently, maybe there is a bug or scheme incompatibility in flatlaf or in mate/cinnamon.

FlatLaf is a young project, supporting perfect GUI on all platforms is very difficult, let's give it a chance to settle down.

KSTR

Klaus, I see your decoration blue, do you use a different theme?
I'm using "Moheli" theme ("Daloa" and "Kokodi" are also nice) in Window Manager (Xfwm4+Compton), and the Mint variant Xfce.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom