V5.20.14 early access build

Status
Not open for further replies.

user44455555

Registered
for the all SPL display, maybe there can add a button "disable all". because often have more measures but want only see 2 in compare. so click disable all and then select the 2 that wish safe time.

user44455555

Registered
when switch on or off the Plot harmonic ....... picture is not redraw. only when click limit normalisation ....... it is redraw

screenshot.jpg

John Mulcahy

REW Author
when switch on or off the Plot harmonic ....... picture is not redraw. only when click limit normalisation ....... it is redraw
That setting has no effect on the THD trace, it only affects the plotting of individual harmonic traces.

user44455555

Registered
That setting has no effect on the THD trace, it only affects the plotting of individual harmonic traces.

please see video it have also changes on THD or maybe it plot wrong depend on limit normalisation option. measure level was around 80 db. Edit: in edit view video is show, butr not when i save the post. size of video is only 1.1 megabytes. forum problem `?

screenshot.jpg

John Mulcahy

REW Author
As I explained in the response to your email on this same topic, the behaviour you are seeing is explained in the help:

Plot harmonics at the harmonic frequency changes the way the harmonic orders for sweep measurement distortion are plotted - rather than plotting the distortion at the frequency of the fundamental it is plotted at the frequency of the harmonic, so (for example) the 2nd order harmonic distortion level for 1 kHz would be plotted at 2 kHz, where the distortion occurs. This makes it easier to correlate harmonic levels with the level of the fundamental at the harmonic frequency and also helps distinguish the effects of external noise, since noise affects all harmonics at the frequency at which it occurs. The THD trace is not affected by this control, it will continue to show the THD value corresponding to the harmonic levels at their fundamental frequency. When plotting harmonics at the harmonic frequency the harmonic frequency is used as the reference, regardless of the state of Use harmonic frequency as ref.

tjcinnamon

I've been using the new build and one of my subs is giving a huge negative delay. This is irrespective of what output on the MiniDSP is used. The odd thing is that it has a similar impulse response as a similar sub *sub #2) that is measuring well.

Sub 2 and 3 are accurate. Sub 1, I'm not sure. I've attached the MDAT. I didn't try downgrading REW yet

Sub 1:
Delay -195.3607 ms (-67.009 m, -(219 ft 10 in))
using IR start time relative to Acoustic reference played from 3

Sub 2:
Delay 13.9850 ms (4.797 m, 15 ft 8.9 in)
using IR start time relative to Acoustic reference played from 3:

Sub 3:
Delay 8.6675 ms (2.973 m, 9 ft 9 in)
using IR start time relative to Acoustic reference played from 3:

Attachments

• problem with delays.mdat
    523.3 KB · Views: 26

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Sub 1 and sub 2 both have very high distortion between about 20 and 50 Hz, sub1 slightly more so. For sub 1 it is so high that the distortion images are looking to REW like part of the IR so it is placing the IR start time much earlier than it should. Try measuring at a lower SPL and if the subs have any boost EQ applied at the low end it may be more than they can manage.

tjcinnamon

Sub 1 and sub 2 both have very high distortion between about 20 and 50 Hz, sub1 slightly more so. For sub 1 it is so high that the distortion images are looking to REW like part of the IR so it is placing the IR start time much earlier than it should. Try measuring at a lower SPL and if the subs have any boost EQ applied at the low end it may be more than they can manage.
That did it! What is an acceptable amount of distortion for a sub?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Lower is better, though subjectively low order sub distortion is likely a lot less objectionable than for a main speaker. The THD from sub 1 was over 40% at some points though so that suggests it wasn't entirely happy :)

I have made a change to the code for the next build to prevent it being fooled by very high distortion.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Builds have been updated today with the following:
  • Added: Pro upgrade: The input selection dialog for multi-input capture now has an option to not generate an overall average of all the inputs
  • Added: Support for d&b audiotechnik tuning filters
  • Added: Hold the shift key when using the mousewheel to zoom the graph in the x axis only
  • Added: Show a warning message if "Invert second output" is selected when measuring
  • Changed: Allow Volts axis to go up to 1 kV (previous limit was 100 V)
  • Fixed: Zero magnitudes could cause invalid results in a frequency-limited division
  • Fixed: Only apply the Analysis preference to add FDW to measurements when they are made
  • Fixed: Ensure dialogs are fully visible when they are displayed
  • Fixed: High 2nd harmonic distortion could cause IR start time to be set too early due to treating harmonic image as part of the IR
  • Fixed: Measurements using loopback as cal and timing reference would give an array index out of bounds error if the measurement end frequency was not above 1 kHz
  • Fixed: The IMD DIN overall calculation used d2L and d3L twice instead of d2L, d2H, d3L and d3H
  • Fixed: Deleting all filters on the EQ filters panel set any crossover filters to 1 kHz instead of clearing them

serko70

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
Is there a REW setting to default Overlays window open with "everything unticked" or remember last ticked measurements when REW restarts?

The reason I am asking is that when there are too many measurements (and with good sweep length) along with many vector calculations between them, when you open Overlays window for the first time, it selects everything in every window and especially ETC and Impulse tabs can struggle to open. I am talking about well over 50 measurements though.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Remembering the last selections wouldn't make sense for the overlays graph as those selections would only be meaningful for the specific set of measurements that were loaded when REW was last used. There could be an option to only select the current measurement when the graphs are first opened, or only the first N traces?

serko70

More  
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
Only the current selection would speed things up

dcibel

If the overlay window had the same selection as All SPL tab when opened I would find that very beneficial as a time saver, mentioned a page or two back in this thread.

Somewhat related to workflow efficiency, I think it would be great to have the IR window settings of previous measurement, or perhaps the selected measurement applied to new measurements. Currently new measurements get default settings set in preferences requiring selection of previous measurement, then "apply windows to all" to make sure all measurements are using same window settings.

Last edited:

serko70

More  
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
If the overlay window had the same selection as All SPL tab when opened I would find that very beneficial as a time saver, mentioned a page or two back in this thread.

Somewhat related to workflow efficiency, I think it would be great to have the IR window settings of previous measurement, or perhaps the selected measurement applied to new measurements. Currently new measurements get default settings set in preferences requiring selection of previous measurement, then "apply windows to all" to make sure all measurements are using same window settings.
Even better would be option to apply IR settings to "selected" measurements in AllSPL rather than the current all or nothing approach.

jtalden

More  
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
VTV 6 chnl NC252MP P-amp x 2
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Player
Front Speakers
DIY SEAS H1456/H1212 Spkr x 5
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
I often want to compare a 2 or 3 measurement subset from a larger measurement group within the overlay window. Moving from; SPL to phase to step to distortion requires repeating all the selections. I would really like "Replicate Current SPL selections" to all the other overlay windows. I don't normally care if the All SPL main tab changes as well. Using All SPL selection to replicate the changes seem less efficient to me when a new subset can then be chosen within the overlay window and replicated there.

serko70

More  
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
All SPL is very powerful but frankly you're done with it after a couple of measurements and Overlays become the center of focus. I had 67 measurements /calculations at one point today and needed to compare just two final vector averages for step response but overlays got stuck in the impulse window and I had to restart REW. And I'm using a very powerful pc (3rd fastest at HWBOT 12-core y-cruncher). This is a problem that needs to be solved imo but the suggestions here are also really very beneficial to speed up general work flow.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I had 67 measurements /calculations at one point today and needed to compare just two final vector averages for step response but overlays got stuck in the impulse window and I had to restart REW.
Probably ran out of memory, you could try allocating more memory by changing the -Xmx entry in the roomeqwizard.vmoptions file.

jtalden

More  
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
VTV 6 chnl NC252MP P-amp x 2
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Player
Front Speakers
DIY SEAS H1456/H1212 Spkr x 5
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
Thanks, I this will help me a lot!

dcibel

For the IR window, I am curious why the response phase result is always phase from t=0, not from the IR reference time location? For loopback measurements I usually have impulse occurring a few ms beyond t=0 (1m distance for example), which makes for quite a bit of excess delay. The way around this appears to be to include a timing offset when measuring, or apply a t=0 offset for the measured results. I find it odd that phase is not represnted relative to IR window reference location, and would love to see this as normal behaviour so t=0 offset isn't required.

serko70

More  
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
Probably ran out of memory, you could try allocating more memory by changing the -Xmx entry in the roomeqwizard.vmoptions file.
I don't think it will happen again but noted. Actually, may be there should be options higher than 2GB when installing REW, most PCs today have a min of 16GB of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom