The Top 20 Blu-Ray and 4K Blu-ray Releases of 2020!

full?d=1606158891.png

(November 23, 2020) The holiday season is upon us, which means it's time to unveil our top Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray releases of the year! This marks the seventh or eighth time that Michael Scott and I have collaborated to create a Top 20 list, and it's probably no secret that the vast amount of picking falls Scott's way. He's one of the best in the disc review business and we're lucky to have him at AV NIRVANA.

This year is radically different than the past, largely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. While our list is dominated by 4K Ultra HD releases (probably more so than ever before), it only contains one true 2020 theatrical release. Christopher's Nolan's Tenet opened in theaters and made its way to disc (set to be released on December 15th), which makes it unique. The rest of our Top 20 comprises TV series, 2019 theatrical releases, and re-releases of classic films. The good news is that 2019 gave us several excellent films, and movie houses have given the 4K treatment to some excellent catalog favorites!

To make your holiday shopping easier, we’ve included “Buy It Now” links to Amazon, and, when available, we’ve included links to Michael Scott’s full review of a release.

If you have a favorite film or show that we missed, please leave a comment and let us know!

20. Gemini Man (4K Blu-ray)
full?d=1606159995.jpg

"Wowza. That’s all I can say about the 4K UHD video quality. Right off the bat, let me state that the 4K UHD experience is going to be wildly different than the 1080p viewing experience. While the 1080p Blu-ray is shown at 24 fps, the 4K UHD specs allow Gemini Man to be played back at 60 fps (sadly not the 120 fps 3D that was shown in some theaters, but the film’s camera work is way ahead of it’s time for the layperson). As such it has that high frame rate look, with a ridiculously glossy soap opera feel to it. The detail levels are out of this world though. No matter what your opinions on high frame rate motion, the detail levels are so picture-perfect that I honestly was surprised my TV could show that much detail and clarity." -Michael Scott

Read the full review

full?d=1497080930.png

19. Frozen II (4K Blu-ray)
full?d=1606159995.jpg

"While Frozen 2 was a bit underwhelming, you have to realize that it had A LOT to live up to, as Frozen was a smash hit of epic proportions. Failing at living up to the original was a near inevitability, and even though it’s NOT as epic, it’s still a fun Disney movie. The songs are fun, the visuals are sumptuous. And the famous Disney side characters are the life of the party. I really enjoyed my time with Frozen 2 and found it a moderately worthy sequel to the 2013 phenomenon. The Blu-ray disc is nothing short of jaw-dropping, with perfect visuals, but some rather lackluster audio experiences. Extras are rather impressive I might add, making this a fun purchase for families who enjoyed the original." - Michael Scott

Read the full review

full?d=1497080930.png

18. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (4K Blu-ray)
full?d=1606159995.jpg

The Rise of Skywalker marks the end of the latest Star Wars Trilogy, making it a must-own for any home theater enthusiast. If you're considering settling for the standard Blu-ray release, don't do it! The 4k version delivers a considerable upgrade in the video department.

Read the full review

full?d=1497080930.png

17. Top Gun (4K Blu-ray)
full?d=1606158892.jpg

"The 25th- and 30th-anniversary editions of Top Gun were solid Blu-ray discs, but Paramount went the extra mile and finally gave the film a brand new remaster, as well as cramming in a FEW more extras and decking it out with a nice Dolby Atmos track. I’ve seen EVERY version of this film on home video – from VHS to four different variants of the Blu-ray format – and this upgrade is very much worth it, as Tony Scott’s raw filming style translates well to 2160p. The new 4K remaster of the Blu-ray, itself, is also a welcome addition for those who haven’t upgrade to 4K yet. Definitely worth grabbing if you’re a fan of the film." -Michael Scott

Read the full review

full?d=1497080930.png

16. Stargirl: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
full?d=1606158892.jpg

"Stargirl: The Complete First Season is a BLAST to watch, and is the best thing to come out of DCTV for the last 6 or 7 years. It manages to capture the elements that make a great comic book GREAT, and keeps the action exciting (and sometimes dark). I was enthralled from the first episode, and the show manages to keep that excitement and quality all the way until its conclusion. HIGHLY Recommended." - Michael Scott

Read the full review

full?d=1497080930.png

15. Star Wars: A New Hope (4K Blu-ray)
full?d=1606158892.jpg

A classic film through and through. What more can be said? Star Wars: A New Hope has entertained for decades and finally found its way to 4K UHD Blu-ray during 2020. This is a must-own disc... so buy it!

full?d=1497080930.png

14. Ford v Ferrari (4K Blu-ray)
full?d=1606158892.jpg

"All in all, I have to give credit where credit is due and admit that I was surprised by Ford v Ferrari. It blends just the right amount of thrilling car races with a rich character drama that it appeals to people of many tastes. The acting is out of this world and it has fast become one of my favorite movies of the year (so far). 20th Century Fox’s 4K UHD disc is absolutely stunning, with perfect audio and near-perfect video. The only thing this release owns as a weakness is its mediocre extras. Definitely a great watch and a great buy, in my opinion." - Michael Scott

Read the full review

full?d=1497080930.png

13. Joker (4K Blu-ray)
full?d=1606158891.jpg

"In a world dominated by flashy superhero movies with over-the-top villains, Joker takes a nearly 180-degree turn and crafts a carefully woven and visually grim character drama of Batman’s most iconic villain. You see glimpses of who he will become, but this isn’t some superhero or supervillain story. Instead, it’s a quiet character drama that creepily entangles you in the web of mental illness, bitterness, and anger that makes the Joker so incredibly terrifying in comic books. It’s a stunning film on both Blu-ray and 4K, and a fascinatingly dark watch for those who were expecting something a bit lighter and more “comicy” in nature. Either way, the 4K UHD is a great disc, standing head and shoulders over a stunning Blu-ray release and well worth grabbing if you have the equipment." -Michael Scott

Read the full review

full?d=1497080930.png

12.V for Vendetta (4K Blu-ray)
full?d=1606158892.jpg

"V for Vendetta was a moderate hit back in 2006, but one of my favorite films of that year, despite Alan Moore hating it so much he had his name removed from the credits (though, to be fair, Alan Moore doesn’t like much of anything, especially when it comes to his comics being adapted to film). Hugo Weaving is impressive, the visuals are stunning (especially that last fight in the alley between Creedy and V) and the 4K UHD is a MASSIVE improvement over the 2008 Blu-ray disc. Easily recommended for those who liked the film, and for those who just want another great 4K UHD disc, you won't be disappointed. Highly recommended." - Michael Scott

Read the full review

full?d=1497080930.png

11.Swamp Thing: The Complete Series ( Blu-ray)
full?d=1606158892.png

"Yes, I’m sad to see it go, but Swamp Thing: The Complete Series is a must-see for fans of the DC shows. Much like how Netflix has allowed the Marvel Universe to become darker and less broadcast friendly, so has the DC streaming universe. Swamp Thing definitely benefits from that freedom and thrived as a short-lived, but well-crafted horror comic show. The Blu-ray is rather well done with good video and audio, but there are no extras to speak of. Still, don’t let this deter you from grabbing one of the best comic shows of the year, and my personal favorite. A very good buy." - Michael Scott

Read the full review

full?d=1497080930.png

10. The High Note (4K Blu-ray)
full?d=1606158892.jpg

"The High Note is Dakota Fanning’s Working Girl, and it’s kind of sad how the pandemic de-railed this from theaters. However, it’s kind of a good thing too (as I mentioned in the full review), as the film is more than entertaining and one of my surprise films of the year. The music is top-notch, the story is warm and inviting in that sort of “inspiring” sort of way, and it fits that “comfort food” niche quite well. The Blu-ray is stunning to hear and view, and even though there’s not a TON of extras, there’s enough to satisfy most fans. Worth checking out." - Michael Scott

Read the full review

full?d=1497080930.png

9.Jaws 45th Anniversary Edition (4K Blu-ray)
full?d=1606158891.jpg

"At the end of the day, Jaws is a true treat of a film and one of the crown jewels in Steven Spielberg’s history. 45 years later, it’s still tense, exciting, and full of some of the most quotable lines in cinema history. The 4K UHD disc doesn’t have any new extras, but it DOES include a brand new 44-page art booklet, as well as a stunning upgrade on 4K UHD from the 4K master and a new Atmos track that fine-tunes the already excellent 7.1 track from the Blu-ray. Definitely a must-own for any collector." Michael Scott

Read the full review

full?d=1497080930.png

8. Game of Thrones: The Complete Series 1-8 (4K Blu-ray)
full?d=1606158891.jpg

"Great set, great video, and the remastered Atmos audio that Steelbooks and later seasons received makes this an AWESOME set. A must buy!" - Michael Scott

Read the full review

full?d=1497080930.png

7. Full Metal Jacket (4K Blu-ray)
full?d=1606158892.jpg

"Full Metal Jacket is one of the best anti-war movies ever made, and one of Kubrick’s most relatable and visceral movies in his career. It’s brutally honest about the horrors of war without being preachy, it manages to affect people from all walks of life, and is probably one of the most intense war movies without being visually gory. The 4K UHD disc from Warner is top-notch, delivering an A+ upgrade over the Blu-ray version's video, but does have the downside of having a very raw audio mix. The extras are the same ones found on the Blu-ray and actually are all housed ON the Blu-ray as well. While I would have loved an upgraded audio mix, I understand why they didn’t choose to pursue one. Kubrick was very adamant about his choice to make the film in 1.0 Mono, and luckily we get to choose the 2007 5.1 mix, or the original Mono mix on the disc. Great buy." - Michael Scott

Read the full review

full?d=1497080930.png

6. Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy (4K Blu-ray)
full?d=1606159995.jpg

"OK folks, THIS is the version of Back to the Future that's worth its coin. We’ve had the same old recycled DVD era transfers for some 10 years... it’s about time we have sparkling new transfers. This 4K UHD set gives us new remasters for the 4K disc, and ALSO gives us the remastered transfer on the included Blu-rays, making it a head-and-shoulders upgrade whether you have a 4K TV and player or not. It’s a classic trilogy for a reason, and while I’ve been happy with my 25th- and 30th-anniversary sets, THIS is what we’ve been waiting for. GREAT video, Atmos upgrades, with the only minor caveat being that it offers the same extras as found on the 30th-anniversary Blu-ray set. This is a fantastic release, a fantastic trilogy, and easily on my “you must own this!” recommended list." - Michael Scott

Read the full review

full?d=1497080930.png

5. Resident Evil Collection (4K Blu-ray)
full?d=1606158892.jpg

"Resident Evil movies are pure popcorn fun, and fun that’s not meant to be taken seriously. “Check your brain at the door” is the films' mantra, and with that in mind, they’re a blast to watch. The series starts to go off the rails with the 5th and 6th films, but they’re still fun to watch as brainless monster mashes. Milla Jovovich goes all out for the flicks (they ARE her bread and butter) and the new 4K UHD releases for these films are generally GREAT. The bundle is really REALLY nice for a boxset, with a snazzy foil box that opens to reveal individual 'flip-open' books for EACH film. One thing that makes the packaging nerd in me super happy is NO slip sleeves like Universal is prone to do, so no scratched discs! As a huge fan of the Resident Evil universe for the sheer popcorn fun of it all, these upgrades are all massive upgrades over the aging Blu-rays, and the new artwork is really nice as well. I’d definitely put it down as a “you gotta grab this” for the fans as Sony has gone all out on this one. Great buy." - Michael Scott

Read the full review

full?d=1497080930.png

4.Friday the 13th Collection, Shout Factory (Blu-ray)
full?d=1606158892.jpg

AV NIRVANA didn't review this stellar boxset, but Michael Scott comments that "we didn't review it, but the set is AMAZING!" Much like Back to the Future and Star Wars, Friday the 13th is classic cinema, making it must-own material for any enthusiast!

full?d=1497080930.png

3. IP Man: The Complete Collection (4K Blu-ray)
full?d=1606158892.jpg

From Well Go USA: "Martial arts superstar Donnie Yen solidified his legendary status beginning with the first film in the IP Man franchise, and now the entire series is available for the first time in 4K Ultra HD™ when Well Go USA Entertainment debuts the IP MAN COMPLETE COLLECTION 4K BOX SET on December 15. The 8-disc set features all 4 IP Man films, presented for the first time with 4K restoration including the newest Dolby Atmos surround sound. Each film comes in a 2-disc amaray case featuring the new 4K disc along with the Bu-ray disc. This limited-edition box set also contains a cool, collectible IP Man movie franchise compendium book and a double-sided premium IP Man poster."

Full review coming soon

full?d=1497080930.png

2. Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection (4K Blu-ray)
full?d=1606158892.png

"As usual, Universal has cherry-picked the “best” and most popular films from its Hitchcock Blu-ray boxset to upgrade to 4K UHD. While I would have LOVED a full 4K UHD set of 20-plus films, I realize that re-visiting masters and encodes takes a lot of time and money, so I’m more than happy with these four for the time being. The films' new 4K UHD encodes are quite nice, each one showing very appreciable upgrades from the Blu-rays, and the new DTS:X audio mixes on Vertigo and Psycho are a treat." - Michael Scott

Read the full review

full?d=1497080930.png

1. Tenet (4K Blu-ray)
full?d=1606158891.jpg

While we're still waiting for Tenet to be released on 4K Blu-ray, this was an easy number one pick. First off, it's Nolan. He's the name behind such gems as Inception, The Dark Knight, and Interstellar. That means there's pedigree. Second, this is a film that many haven't seen, making it the perfect choice for the home theater enthusiast in your life. Simple, right? Buy it!

Full review coming soon

full?d=1497080930.png

Last edited:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Cool beans... I like it. Can't wait for Tenet to hit... and there are a few here I need to watch still.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
there's a couple others I wanted to put on there such as Weathering with You, but there's only so much space lol

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
The Columbia Classics Vol 1 4K Collection is certainly another one that could have been in there!

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
You may as well go ahead and make it the Top 100. :dumbcrazy:

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the list and lot of great movies to see for those who have not seen yet. :)

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Really good stuff on your list of course.
One of my top 2020 flicks didn't make it. Perhaps an honorable mention for

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
That easily could have been on the Top 20! Great flick @JStewart. The twist at the end is sweet!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Joker on 4K UHD is $9 on amazon today, so is Top Gun! Rise of Skywalker is $19, Hitchcock collection is $49!

And if you want to dig a few years back, Ex Machina is only $7.99!!

Top Bottom