V5.20.14 early access build

Status
Not open for further replies.

sm52

I figured out when this situation occurs. If acoustic synchronization is set in the measurement window when measuring SPL, the repetition counter is reset to 1 and cannot be changed. If you then switch to impedance measurement, you can set the repeat count to any number, but it is reset after the impedance measurement or calibration step.
Regarding the error message, I cannot yet repeat it so that the message appears again. Everything is fine for now.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If acoustic synchronization is set in the measurement window when measuring SPL, the repetition counter is reset to 1
Yes, I have fixed that for the next build.

Regarding the error message, I cannot yet repeat it so that the message appears again.
I couldn't repeat that either, but I have added some code to guard against it.

sm52

I couldn't repeat that either, but I have added some code to guard against it.
I suspect a situation where REW loses connection with an external sound card connected via USB. Because some Windows process does not allow to process requests from usb at the required speed.

JoinUs

@John Mulcahy
Hello John, Is this possible function?
A*(-B)

Let's say A is 2, B is 3. (Just for example)
2 * (-3) = -6
2 * (1/3 which means 1/A) = 0.666666.....

Sometimes negative Multiplication results are needed.

111.png

In Equalizer APO, can do that.
And I can loop back the results and use the responses, but the process is a bit cumbersome.
So I wonder if this is possible within REW.

jeppekristoffer

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon X3700H
Main Amp
Nad M27
Front Speakers
Dali Rubicon LCR
Center Channel Speaker
2-way with Purifi woofer & Gladen Aerospace 28
Surround Speakers
Dalin Fazon Sat
Front Height Speakers
Dalin Fazon Sat
Rear Height Speakers
Dalin Fazon Sat
Subwoofers
Faux sub through minidsp to front channels
Other Speakers or Equipment
5 Minidsp 2x4 HD
Screen
Sony XG95 55 inch
1. Many times when i open a measurement with eq-filters in it(all pass filters) and when looking in the overlay tab "Predicted phase" and "unwrap" engaged i have to disengage/engage the filters for the phase change to take place.
2. And if the phase trace is wrapped and i press unwrap then not all traces selected unwrap. To be able to make them unwrap i have to switch to another of the overlays tabs and back to "predicted phase" tab and then all traces selected are unwrapped. The same applies when goind from unwrapped the wrapped.

Regards Jesper
@John Mulcahy please see if this can be replicated. Regards Jesper

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Builds updated today (ea75) with these changes:
  • Changed: Allow frequencies down to 1 Hz for custom dual and triple tone signals
  • Changed: Show box volume with 4 decimal places on the TS params panel
  • Changed: Show driver diameter with 2 decimal places on the TS params area calculation popup
  • Fixed: Unwrap phase may not update some graphs
  • Fixed: Scale IR data did not update the windowed IR if a frequency-dependent window was applied
  • Fixed: Coherent averaging did not work well for tones that were not locked to the FFT length
  • Fixed: Number of sweep repetitions for impedance measurements would be reset to 1 if the SPL measurement timing reference choice did not allow multiple sweeps

sm52

John Mulcahy

In the latest version, phase graph smoothing in the SPL window and smoothing in the GD window do not work correctly. If you disable smoothing and then enable 1/48, everything is correct. But if you turn on anything other than 1/48 and ctrl 0, and then turn on 1/48, the phase is not displayed correctly. And GD.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
if you turn on anything other than 1/48 and ctrl 0, and then turn on 1/48, the phase is not displayed correctly
Not correct how? What are you seeing and what are you expecting to see? Do you have a file that shows the problem?

JoinUs

Can add "Set Graph Axis Limits" Preset? 1, 2, 3 things.
Even with the same impulse, there are certain numbers that are used in various ways, such as a narrow range of 1-50 ms and a wide range of ~500 ms % units.
However, it is cumbersome to enter and change it again every time.
Only one limit setting is saved, so I want to be able to add it in various ways.

sm52

I took any graph, pressed ctrl 0, then ctrl shift 9, ctrl shift 7, ctrl shift 9. This is shown in pictures 1,2,3,4. Two right - smoothing 1/48.

Attachments

• up mb ctrl 0.JPG
    up mb ctrl 0.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 40

Draki

Registered
I was watching some YT videos from the contributor OCA , and he is routinely using a REW second screen by (seemingly) clicking the "restore down" double square icon at top right.
How is it done? Obviously I can't replicate that, hence my question - you can tell I am not very savvy at this...

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The V5.20.14 early access build has now been replaced by the V5.30 beta release. That has the following changes since the last 5.20.14 build:

• Changed: RTA Coherent averaging is possible when playing a tone burst or CEA-2010 burst from the signal generator with an interval which matches the FFT length when FFT overlap is set to 0%
  • Fixed: Changing smoothing from a fraction more smoothed than 1/48 to 1/48 did not apply the improved phase smoothing

Edit: The V5.30 beta release update notifications will be activated from 4th November.

Last edited:

JoinUs

The V5.20.14 early access build has now been replaced by the V5.30 beta release. That has the following changes since the last 5.20.14 build:

• Changed: RTA Coherent averaging is possible when playing a tone burst or CEA-2010 burst from the signal generator with an interval which matches the FFT length when FFT overlap is set to 0%
  • Fixed: Changing smoothing from a fraction more smoothed than 1/48 to 1/48 did not apply the improved phase smoothing

Edit: The V5.30 beta release update notifications will be activated from 4th November.
Well done! Finally!

serko70

More  
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
Dear John,

I bumped into a paper that describes a method to determine the point in time when the early reflections fully transition to late reverberation (mixing time) by analysing normalized kurtosis values. Calculation is free of room dimensions but takes room properties into account.

It seems relatively easy to implement and maybe(?) also used for more realistic clarity measurements instead of the defined 50/80ms.transition points in REW.

A novel and SOTA technique also uses it for truncation before inversion:

1699012857789.png

What do you think?

Attachments

• STATISTICAL_MEASURES_OF_EARLY_REFLECTIONS_OF_ROOM_.pdf
    408 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Like the Clarity measure, the paper is relevant for spaces that are very, very large by domestic standards (the "smaller" space considered in the paper was a 350-seat venue). Potentially more relevant to domestic spaces is the work of Alejandro Bidondo in characterising room acoustic "texture", examining the behaviour of early reflections and the transition to a diffuse field. See Texture of a room impulse response and Room acoustic texture: a methodology for its quantification

serko70

More  
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
Like the Clarity measure, the paper is relevant for spaces that are very, very large by domestic standards (the "smaller" space considered in the paper was a 350-seat venue). Potentially more relevant to domestic spaces is the work of Alejandro Bidondo in characterising room acoustic "texture", examining the behaviour of early reflections and the transition to a diffuse field. See Texture of a room impulse response and Room acoustic texture: a methodology for its quantification
This is truly innovative work!
In my limited understanding, REW's ETC smoothing is already doing something quite similar to the decay cancelling method in the paper to generate echo density function. Are we going to be able to measure room impulse response texture some day? :)

Lowclock

Has something changed about the way "Normalize step to IR peak" works? I could've sworn it never used to behave like this:

Attachments

• sloped.png
    sloped.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 28
  • huge.png
    huge.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 29

serko70

More  
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
"Response copy" of the attached measurement (a .wav import from rePhase) generates pre-post ringing in the impulse response in the V5.30 Beta:
ResponseCopy.jpg

Attachments

• XO_noecho.mdat
    1.6 MB · Views: 15

John Mulcahy

REW Author
"Response copy" of the attached measurement (a .wav import from rePhase) generates pre-post ringing in the impulse response in the V5.30 Beta
Please post about the 5.30 beta in the new thread. That is just the interpolator trying to make sense of the sample values (i.e. reconstruct the inter-sample behaviour in accordance with the sampling theorem). Looks a somewhat odd response to start with, time-reversed perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom