Negatron II

Negatron

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Here is a pic of the new AV Rack space frame. I contracted a wood worker yesterday to build the cabinet for me. The cabinet will b build from my old 1 1/2" thick shelves. All the old shelves will be joined together, sanded, and refinished with a cherry stain. He also will be making the shelves from plywood which also will be stained for me.
The carpenter was booked up, so the rack will not be ready until sometime in October...so we will be working on the amp build once I get the rest of my connectors.
received_1397224970429202.jpeg

When you look at the space frame you can see my adjustable shelf supports. The supports are made from 1/2" solid aluminum bar stock that has been tapped for threaded rod. The threaded rod was locktited, along with a nut.

Negatron

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Here it is testing out config of rack. I also have some of the pieces of wood on top to show somewhat what the rack will look like when finished. The thick wood shelves are going to be cut, and joined together to cover the top and both sides. Amp case is just sitting there...I have a few parts I am still waiting for. Amp should be completed sometime this month, and the rack sometime next month.
20190907_175630.jpg

Last edited:

Negatron

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Thanks, I am loving the way this one has come about. This is my 3rd DIY build rack (1 flexi, and 2 8020 racks in the last 4 or 5 years. I am still debating on wether to have some doors, or leave it open. Will be glad when it is done, so I can hookup my wife's turntable too, as it will be sitting on top along with 1 surround channel speaker.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Reviewer/ Senior Admin
Staff member
My AV System  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon X8500H
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
VSX21-THX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
OPPO UDP-205, UDP-203, Panasonic UB820
Front Speakers
SVS Ultra Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Ultra Center
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC RS520
Screen
Carada Cine-White 0 gain
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F
Looks great... leave it open!!

Tony V.

Staff member
My AV System  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Other Equipment
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
Love the look of the rack, do you notice that the shelves the amps are on look a little stressed? I wonder if those supports need to be either braced or run all the way across?

Negatron

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Love the look of the rack, do you notice that the shelves the amps are on look a little stressed? I wonder if those supports need to be either braced or run all the way across?
When I pull it down I will see if a washer will remedy the stress. I think on the Yamaha pro amps I will do each on its own shelf as they each are pretty heavy.

I could also just put the amps on the bottom shelf as there are no 1/2" supports on the bottom.

Negatron

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I have a feeling a washer will take care of the problem as I just removed the weight and it still angles down. I am thinking it is the fact that the 1/4 20 threaded rod, and the rectangular nut in the t channel allow movement (tilting, not slippage). I noticed that even my Pioneer BR player shows strain, and that is very light. The rods are solid aluminum, and do not appear to be bending at all.
We will see what happens when I add washers between the nut, and the t channel.
If that doesn't resolve the issue... I will see if I can get some aluminum tubing that will slide over the rod, and connect both ends.

Negatron

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Well I found a good deal on some rp150ms in cherry so I ordered 4 of them. These will be for 2 surrounds, and 2 Atmos channels for now, and when I get my k402s... I will have the 4 rp160ms for surounds, and the 4 rp150ms for Atmos. If I ever find 1 more in cherry I will have my VOG channel too.
At least now I will be able to listen in surround again till the bad boy fronts are made. I will have a complete Klipsch setup except for the subs. The RP150Ms will have 250wpc for power, and the RP160Ms will have as much as 400w (if they dip down to 4 ohms). The RP160Ms, are 4db more efficient so I think I can use either the Yamaha or B&O ASX125BTLSs for power.

Which do you think would need more power...The 150s, or the 160s. The speakers are rated for 300w, and 400w max power.

Top Bottom