Negatron II

Negatron

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Today the wood pieces for the prototype were cut...tomorrow the portholes will be cut, and some pieces will be glued. We are still waiting on the veneer so all cannot be glued until the pieces we are veneering are veneered. Piece will be vacuum veneered. Once we have one veneered, I will start bringing them home (as they are completed), and start to assemble.

Last edited:

Negatron

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Update... we have all the port holes cut in all 4 horns. We have one prototype all setup and ready to glue, after we make 3 more duplicates of the cut MDF. Today I received 6 sheets of veneer, and next week hopefully we will have the glue in so we can veneer the fronts of each speaker, and then veneer one cabinet assembly. Once I have a sample of each in the house we can start installing the drivers, and tuning the individual speakers to see which one I like the most.

Negatron

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Progress pics... All 4 horns have been drilled for the woofer port slots, and we have a stack of MDF to assemble the 1 1/2" thick motherboard for the horn to slide into.
20200220_141244.jpg
20200220_141049.jpg
20200220_141057.jpg

Negatron

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Running a little behind schedule...front baffles are now made, and awaiting veneer. I just picked up 5 more 4x8 sheets of MDF for the cabinet portion. We are hoping the design allows us to install the cabinet with the horn front baffle, and 2 woofers already installed...if not then we will install the woofers once the cabinet is installed, and just seal it off with the removable rear panel. I think we will have enough room to install the woofers after the cabinet is installed. I know I have plenty of room to install the bottom one, just not sure on the top one. The plan is to install a couple of threaded inserts, and then install a short piece of threaded rod loctite in. By doing this we can then use them as alignment pins, and also put a nut on them to help secure the woofers.

1_sufferin_mind

Supporter
My AV System  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Emotiva XMC-2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
McCormack DNA-1 Custom Monoblocks (On Standby)
Other Amp
Woo Audio WA6se w/ Audeze LCD-2
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo BDP-95
Front Speakers
Revel Ultima Salon
Center Channel Speaker
Revel Voice
Surround Speakers
PSB Image B5
Subwoofers
Seaton Sound Submersive F2+/- pair
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cary SLP98P / VPI SuperScout with JMW9 & Hana MH
Video Display Device
LG 65" OLED 65CX
Screen
TBD
Other Equipment
JVC X70R Proj ; PS Audio PWD w/ Streaming Bridge
You’ve done this before, haven’t you! Over my head, but still enjoy following along.

Negatron

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Last build we tried to make the horn and cabinet out of MDF.....all we did was set the crossover with no tweaks at all. We then compared it with a pair of LaScalas, and it was more revealing, in the mids and the bass was more extended but needed some tweaks. We were getting ready to move so I left the horn minus the woofers and drivers with a friend who in turn gave it to someone.

This time we are using authentic horns, and I will send the REW info to the designer of the horn, and he will tune it for me.

Last edited:

Negatron

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Update: I just got off the phone with my neighbor...we decided to just bring the front panels over without the veneer for now. By doing this I can start to design and tryout what style cabinet works best for me. Once I do this, I can then take it back apart, and give him the pieces to veneer all at once (in pieces instead of as one piece). Who knows...it might sound great without a box. I also can take the box I brought my horn to Mexico, and just insert the 1 horn I have as a spare to compare to the no box version.

Negatron

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Pic are posted in the 2 Way Synergy build of what I have done as of today. Tomorrow I will work on the support backbone if I can... if not I will work on assembling the 2nd one.

Negatron

Staff member
VIP Supporter
A little update...
My center channel speaker should have its cabinet veneered, and sprayed tomorrow. I will assemble it again, and rewire it as soon as I get it home...it will be complete except for the copper 4x4 plate that I still need to get engraved. I will be wiring the center channel up one last time with Speakon connectors too.If I like the way the cabinet version sounds better than the OB version, I will have the left and right channel. Oxes made, and veneered too.

I also have some new headphones, and a headphone amp on the way. The headphone amp is a Schit Magni 3 Heresy, and it will be powering my new Mass Drop 6XXX headphones when they arrive.

My neighbor also said he will be starting on the front 3 channels amp this week too. This means my front 3 channels including amps could be done in the next few weeks...after which I will be paying these off, and starting on either a new preamp or a new 4k tv. I am thinking it will be a Monolith HTP1. Later on I think I will have the RP160Ms reskinned in the same veneer I am using for my front 3 channels.

I will post up pics as soon as I have the center up and running...after I get the new amp, and then I will start the tuning again.

Top Bottom