V5.20.14 early access build

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Here are those measurement-related changes I mentioned, should make things more convenient when measuring multi-channel systems.

There is a measurement mode selector for SPL measurements to choose between single, repeated or sequential channel measurement
1680898522073.png

There is a mode setup button to configure start delay, delay between measurements for repeated measurements and the channels to measure for sequential channel measurements
1680898566570.png

There is now a naming option to prefix the measurement name with the output channel
1680898594329.png

The Measure dialog now has options to reduce the sweep level by 10 dB when measuring the LFE channel and to use a different end frequency when measuring the LFE channel. For Java drivers that means the channel whose name is LFE, for ASIO drivers it is assumed to be the 4th ASIO output channel if there is no channel with LFE in the name.
1680898611631.png

Other changes:
  • Added: The delay between repeated measurements is set independently of the start delay
  • Changed: The Measure dialog options to invert second output, fill silence with dither and play dither before sweep have been moved into an options panel
  • Fixed: The polarity of filtered data could get out of sync with the invert controls during impulse alignment

Lowclock

Wow, that is awesome! LFE adjustments and everything! I messed with it briefly and the only problem that I could find is that occasionally it would fail to play an acoustic timing reference after the first channel, seemingly more often the shorter the length of a sweep you chose. 64k gets stuck waiting for timing reference every time, and then failing less often up until 1M where it seems to work consistently. It just fails to play the timing reference at all so it sits on "Waiting for timing reference..." indefinitely. Also, you can't do repeated sequential measurements, but I'm guessing that's intentional. Might be nice to be able to combine them in environments where you don't have perfect control of outside noise and want to be able to compare a few runs to make sure they're consistent.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I messed with it briefly and the only problem that I could find is that occasionally it would fail to play an acoustic timing reference after the first channel, seemingly more often the shorter the length of a sweep you chose.
Does it help to have a 1 second delay between the measurements?

Lowclock

Does it help to have a 1 second delay between the measurements?
Yes, that seems to fix it. That's interesting since turning both dithering options on makes time between measurements take longer than the 1s delay does but doesn't make it actually play the timing reference any more consistently. Weird!

Lowclock

Doesn't really seem like EA51 is any better. To try to maintain consistency, I've had default clean settings except for acoustic timing and clock references on and doing 64k sweeps just to save time. With repeated or sequence measurements, I can get through usually 2 and sometimes 3 measurements in the first set now before the timing reference fails to play. Once it has failed to play one in a REW session, it seems like the second measurement's timing reference in a set will always fail. Restarting REW gets back to playing 2 or 3 before failing again. Each step longer sweep tends to add about 1 more measurement before it starts to fail again. 64k passes 3 sweeps in the first set, 128k passes 4, etc. Adding the 1s delay between measurements makes it play fine for any number of measurements.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
What's the replay path? Java drivers or ASIO? I suspect that one second delay benefits something else in the chain, it doesn't change REW's behaviour.

Lowclock

Good idea, I should've tested that earlier. Looks like this is only a problem with java drivers and an output device that isn't in exclusive mode. Any other combination works just fine.

E: That's also with exclusive mode completely disabled, so it's not like something else is trying to take priority, it just isn't liking shared mode at all.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
All works fine for me with any driver combination. Something to be careful of in shared mode is it is possible to default the input and output of a device to different rates, which does not produce a happy device.

Lowclock

Yeah I guess it's not a big deal since it seems to only happen in a very specific configuration that most people probably wouldn't use anyways. I've seen sample rate mismatch problems before when trying to measure some stuff from inside a VM, and this wasn't anything like what that produced. When it does play the initial timing reference the measurements finish fine with no warnings or clock corrections or phase shifts or IR delays or anything, it just doesn't actually play it sometimes so it sits waiting.

Draki

Registered
Running V5-20-14 latest. I am getting a signal from both output channels when using the "check levels" either in preferences or in measure, regardless if it is #1 or #2 selected as output. Didn't happen before as long as I can remember.
Soundcard config checked (Focusrite 2i2).

When actually doing a measurement, the channels are correctly routed, only the selected out channel sends the signal.

Restarted REW several times, the same thing happens.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Probably a side effect of the setting to send the signal to the timing ref output, which isn't appropriate during check levels even if selected. I'll look at that.

1681036746526.png

Last edited:

fcracer

Here are those measurement-related changes I mentioned, should make things more convenient when measuring multi-channel systems.

There is a measurement mode selector for SPL measurements to choose between single, repeated or sequential channel measurement
View attachment 60863

There is a mode setup button to configure start delay, delay between measurements for repeated measurements and the channels to measure for sequential channel measurements
View attachment 60864

There is now a naming option to prefix the measurement name with the output channel
View attachment 60865

The Measure dialog now has options to reduce the sweep level by 10 dB when measuring the LFE channel and to use a different end frequency when measuring the LFE channel. For Java drivers that means the channel whose name is LFE, for ASIO drivers it is assumed to be the 4th ASIO output channel if there is no channel with LFE in the name.
View attachment 60866

Other changes:
  • Added: The delay between repeated measurements is set independently of the start delay
  • Changed: The Measure dialog options to invert second output, fill silence with dither and play dither before sweep have been moved into an options panel
  • Fixed: The polarity of filtered data could get out of sync with the invert controls during impulse alignment
I love the new automated measuring mode! It makes it so much faster to run the measurements when not wanting to be in the room. Brilliant and well done. The issues I was having before with Airplay2 are also now gone. I don't have to change any settings to get the timing references to work. Everything runs perfectly.

3ll3d00d

not sure if it's an issue with these builds or an existing issue but impulse > limits > fit to data doesn't work if the offset is massive

e.g. the measurement reports this

Delay -42,391.1745 ms (-14,540.173 m, -(47704 ft))
relative to Loopback from 25: Computer 3 to 3: Computer 25 with no timing offset

fit to data gets v confused and produces a v small x axis range (seems like it has a min value it won't go past?), easily fixed using Shift IR so not a big deal

1681116105340.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Builds updated today with these changes:
  • Changed: Remember the number of measurement repetitions
  • Fixed: Signal generator option to send signal to timing reference output should be ignored when running Check levels
  • Fixed: NPE could occur when using alignment tool

Frank PALM

Supporter
More  
Front Speakers
Kii Three with BXTs
Video Display Device
LG OLED 77"
Streaming Equipment
Innuos
Streaming Subscriptions
Quboz, Roon
Will not execute on my laptop:
Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎2/‎10/‎2023
OS build 22621.1413
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22639.1000.0

Last edited by a moderator:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Can you attach the rew_output.txt file again? Also the installation.log file from C:\Program Files\REW\.install4j

If you type java -version in a Windows command prompt what does it show?

serko70

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
I've got this Java error with ea46 while checking levels just before a measurement but I guess this is no longer relevant:

REW V5.20.14 running Azul Systems, Inc. JRE 1.8.0_362 64-bit on Windows 10 Locale: language en, keyboard GB, windows-1252 at 96 DPI

Stack Trace:
roomeqwizard.EE.paintComponent(y:286)
javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java:1056)
javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(JComponent.java:889)
javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java:1065)
javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(JComponent.java:889)
javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java:1065)
javax.swing.JComponent.paintToOffscreen(JComponent.java:5210)
javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paintDoubleBuffered(RepaintManager.java:1579)
javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paint(RepaintManager.java:1502)
javax.swing.RepaintManager.paint(RepaintManager.java:1272)
javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(JComponent.java:5158)
javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(JComponent.java:4969)
javax.swing.RepaintManager$4.run(RepaintManager.java:831)
javax.swing.RepaintManager$4.run(RepaintManager.java:814)
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:814)
javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:789)
javax.swing.RepaintManager.prePaintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:738)
javax.swing.RepaintManager.access$1200(RepaintManager.java:64)
javax.swing.RepaintManager$ProcessingRunnable.run(RepaintManager.java:1732)
java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:311)
java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758)
java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$2.run(WaitDispatchSupport.java:190)
java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$4.run(WaitDispatchSupport.java:235)
java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$4.run(WaitDispatchSupport.java:233)
java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport.enter(WaitDispatchSupport.java:233)
java.awt.Dialog.show(Dialog.java:1084)
java.awt.Component.show(Component.java:1671)
java.awt.Component.setVisible(Component.java:1623)
java.awt.Window.setVisible(Window.java:1014)
java.awt.Dialog.setVisible(Dialog.java:1005)
roomeqwizard.bE.setVisible(y:1959)
roomeqwizard.dA.setVisible(y:1219)
roomeqwizard.ZC.A(y:2977)
roomeqwizard.QE$23.actionPerformed(y:1950)
javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2022)
javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2348)
javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:402)
javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:262)
java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:289)
java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6539)
javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3324)
java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6304)
java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2239)
java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4889)
java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2297)
java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4904)
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4535)
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4476)
java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2283)
java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2746)
java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:760)
java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:84)
java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:733)
java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:731)
java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:730)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

Last edited by a moderator:

serko70

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
In the latest version, "Measurement repeats:3" setting is being ignored in both single and sequential measurements. Measuring only once.

Did the first acoustic reference chirp tone change and get shorter?

Do we still need to untick "Decimate IR" in preferences to keep LFE measurement sampling rate at 48kHz when we use LFE end frequency during measurement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom