V5.20.14 early access build

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Here it is with the adaptive timescale, I've done that for the next build.

1679267688276.png

sm52

Where are you placing the cursor to align them?
the cursor is at 2.87kHz in your post. In this case, the impulse graph is very strongly compressed. Can it be stretched somehow? I put the cursor in different places, but it doesn't change anything.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Even with adapting the timescale it may be a bit hit and miss trying to align at high frequencies in what looks like a very reflective measurement environment.

sm52

This possibility of alignment by watching the movement of the impuls graph is a very good thing. Dare I ask John, is it possible to add the ability to see how the Step Response graphs behave when aligning? Maybe a button to switch from impulse to Step Response.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
This possibility of alignment by watching the movement of the impuls graph is a very good thing. Dare I ask John, is it possible to add the ability to see how the Step Response graphs behave when aligning? Maybe a button to switch from impulse to Step Response.
No, step responses are too slow to generate. I don't think they are at all helpful for alignment, try looking at the step response for the aligned sum at a few different delays.

serko70

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON

John Mulcahy

REW Author
From the help: The Align IRs at cursor button applies the filters at the cursor frequency and cross-correlates the responses to determine their best alignment.

serko70

More  
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
From the help: The Align IRs at cursor button applies the filters at the cursor frequency and cross-correlates the responses to determine their best alignment.
Sorry, missed that.

Do you think cca method is optimal for "time aligning" a sub with a speaker crossed over with that sub?

FLvsSub.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
"cca method" meaning what? The plot looks very misaligned, but hard to tell the behaviour at the crossover frequency from unfiltered responses.

serko70

More  
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
"cca method" meaning what? The plot looks very misaligned, but hard to tell the behaviour at the crossover frequency from unfiltered responses.
Above plot is the result when left speaker and subwoofer are cross correlation aligned for the left sp. Both have fdw:9 applied. There's no crossover active during measurment. It looks not aligned but the sum of left sp and sub produces better step response and GD with cca than aligning for IR starts or IR peaks. I am a little confused.

Edit: this is for a home cinema setup. I am not interested in phase aligning the sub with the left speaker.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That is not what cross-correlation alignment is for. Correlation determines where responses are most similar, it is pretty much meaningless to look for similarities between responses with such different bandwidths, they have nothing in common. The impulse alignment mode first filters both responses so they have the same bandwidth, it then becomes meaningful to correlate them. Step response is no more useful for alignment than unfiltered impulse responses.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Builds updated today with these changes:
  • Added: Distortion graphs support Fit Y to data
  • Added: Graphical filter edit shows filter settings
  • Changed: Adapt the time span shown in the Alignment tool in impulse mode to suit the alignment frequency
  • Fixed: StormAudio equaliser used the wrong number of filters
  • Fixed: ASIO input channel names could be shown incorrectly on the Measure dialog
  • Fixed: 64k sweeps at 44.1 kHz starting at 20 Hz and ending above 11.025 kHz gave incorrect results

sm52

It looks not aligned but the sum of left sp and sub produces better step response and GD with cca than aligning for IR starts or IR peaks.
I don't know what method it is, but the result you are talking about should be correct. In my experience, don't align to peaks or impulse start, it won't give the best result.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The number of harmonics to use for THD is in the controls, it doesn't depend on which harmonics are shown.

sm52

Changed: Adapt the time span shown in the Alignment tool in impulse mode to suit the alignment frequency
It looks like the behavior of this instrument on LF and HF has been reversed. Now on the HF impulse is clearly visible, but it is compressed at the LF. The user still cannot stretch the impulse graphs along the horizontal axis. There are no plus and minus buttons that are on all charts.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That graph is not for viewing impulse responses, there is an overlays graph for that. It is to view the filtered responses which will be aligned, its width is a fixed number of cycles of the alignment frequency. If you drag the cursor along the frequency response graph you will see the lower graph width change correspondingly.

sm52

It is to view the filtered responses which will be aligned, its width is a fixed number of cycles of the alignment frequency. If you drag the cursor along the frequency response graph you will see the lower graph width change correspondingly.
Everything is as you explained. It's just that the expectations from the appearance of this tool were another. It was important for me to see how the impulse graphs are located during the alignment. Detailed. But it will be useful for someone as it is now implemented. Thank you.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If you don't wish to apply the filter you can just use the cursor frequency as a zoom control.

thothsong

The number of harmonics to use for THD is in the controls, it doesn't depend on which harmonics are shown.
I'm talking about Fit Y to data, not THD. I start with 9th as highest harmonic shown:
Before9.png

Note that some of the harmonics extend below the bottom of the graph view.
Now I change the control so that the 2nd is the highest harmonic shown:
Before2.png

Now I hit Fit Y to data:
After2.png

The Y axis got zoomed out, rather than zoomed in.
Now I change the control so that the 9th is the highest harmonic shown:
After9.png

All of the harmonics now fit in view, so the zoom out was apparently done to make all of the harmonics fit, even though they weren't displayed at the time Fit Y to data was performed.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Understood, I have fixed that for the next build. It was also looking at data across the whole span instead of the displayed range, that has been fixed as well.

sm52

you can just use the cursor frequency as a zoom control.
Yes. Thus it is possible. The impulse graph before the peak and after it, it seems to me, few people will be interested in this tool. You can increase the scaling to 2x or 4x the default to have 1-2ms to the left and 4-6ms to the right of the peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom