V5.20.14 early access build

Status
Not open for further replies.

sm52

I've done some draft work using some of the new additions. I am sharing here so everyone can play with and test for any bugs:
Maybe you will record some sound track on the microphone before and after applying the filters from the listening position?

serko70

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
Maybe you will record some sound track on the microphone before and after applying the filters from the listening position?
Clarity C80.jpg

JoinUs

Can you increase the Ram memory allocation more?
I opened xmx to Notepad and changed it to 8192(8gb) / 16,384(16gb) / 32,768(32gb) / 65,536(64gb) and tried to run REW but none of them worked.
Only 4096 (4gb) seems to work. If you load multiple impulse files and get a lot of graphs, you need enough RAM. I hope you can make more choices.

Also,
I'd like you to increase the number limit of Message Tab in REW. If you look at a lot of measurements and calculate them, it's easy to get over 20.
Depending on Ram's limitations, it can be changed variably, or it can be increased up to 50. Thanks

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Can you increase the Ram memory allocation more?
I opened xmx to Notepad and changed it to 8192(8gb) / 16,384(16gb) / 32,768(32gb) / 65,536(64gb) and tried to run REW but none of them worked.
Only 4096 (4gb) seems to work. If you load multiple impulse files and get a lot of graphs, you need enough RAM. I hope you can make more choices.
That's why the installer only offers options up to 2 GB. If larger memory is requested the OS may refuse and terminate the app. All the user sees is the app doesn't start, with no indication why. I have been able to load more than 100 measurements with a 2 GB allocation, but results will depend on what it is you are trying to do and how long the impulse responses are.

I don't know what you mean by "Message Tab". The number of measurements can be increased in the View preferences.

JoinUs

That's why the installer only offers options up to 2 GB. If larger memory is requested the OS may refuse and terminate the app. All the user sees is the app doesn't start, with no indication why. I have been able to load more than 100 measurements with a 2 GB allocation, but results will depend on what it is you are trying to do and how long the impulse responses are.

I don't know what you mean by "Message Tab". The number of measurements can be increased in the View preferences.
Oh i didn't know can increase in View Preferences. Good!!!
I have 128GB of Ram, so I wanted to allocate a lot to REW. Someday, it would be nice if the Memory limit was extended further from the installation stage. Thank you.

fattire

5.20.14ea18

Am I missing the option to hide the distortion detail when using the RTA? There doesn't seem to be a way ‍♂️

1673045375284.png

fattire

Now why in the world would I miss something obvious. Never happens. I swear. Unless I publicly post somewhere. Thanks, John and sorry for the Friday afternoon / evening stupidity.

boxerfan88

Registered
More  
Yamaha RX-A3030
Main Amp
DA&T A38 Integrated
Front Speakers
Usher Mini Dancer 2
Center Channel Speaker
Usher
Surround Speakers
Bose
Subwoofers
Orisun DD12
Video Display Device
Samsung Plasma TV
Is it possible to enhance the crosshair cursor (currently a line) to include a option for horizontal band (+/- 1.5dB, 3dB, 5dB, etc.)?

It'll make it easier to check the frequency response variability in the graphs.

dcibel

I have a question about exported IR response as test file. I have recorded the following measurements of a cheap little computer speaker. One is a nearfield measurement of the woofer output, and the other is a nearfield measurement of the port output. These were measured with "set t=0 as IR start", and the impulse of the 2 measurements is shown below:
1673131200739.png

When exporting the impulse response as text, the "start time" in the impulse response file differs by 1.09ms
nearfield driver start time: -0.99978125 // Start time (seconds)
port output start time: -0.9986875 // Start time (seconds)

Is "start time" not t=0? Why should it differ by 1ms between these measurements? FWIW I have found similar results regardless of timing method used.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Start time is the time at which the entire data record starts, generally 1 second before the IR peak. The time that corresponds to depends on where the peak is relative to t=0.

boxerfan88

Registered
More  
Yamaha RX-A3030
Main Amp
DA&T A38 Integrated
Front Speakers
Usher Mini Dancer 2
Center Channel Speaker
Usher
Surround Speakers
Bose
Subwoofers
Orisun DD12
Video Display Device
Samsung Plasma TV
Hello John,

5.20.14ea18 crashed with the following error while importing sweep recording...

REW V5.20.14 running Oracle Corporation JRE 1.8.0_351 64-bit on Windows 10 Locale: language en, keyboard US, windows-1252 at 96 DPI

Stack Trace:
java.lang.System.arraycopy(Native Method)
roomeqwizard.uD.A(y:2593)
roomeqwizard.uD.A(y:1083)
roomeqwizard.kF$_A$5.run(y:1311)

Files to reproduce error is attached.

Attachments

• 256kMeasSweep_30_to_20000_-15_dBFS_48k_PCM24_L_refL.wav
    3.4 MB
  • 256k EQ0 L.wav
    1.3 MB
Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Builds updated with the following:
  • Added a warning if the clock adjustment is more than 200 ppm
  • When "Fill silence with dither" is selected and using the acoustic timing reference send dither on the output for approximately 3 seconds before starting to measure
  • Fixed: Array index out of bounds could occur when importing sweep recordings

jtalden

More  
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
VTV 6 chnl NC252MP P-amp x 2
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Player
Front Speakers
DIY SEAS H1456/H1212 Spkr x 5
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
There seems to be inconsistency in the action of the current IR Windows dialog.

Selecting ‘Add FDW’ now changes the selected measurement FDW immediately but doesn’t apply changes made to the other window settings like window widths. These others should probably also be updated immediately as changed or just wait to apply all changes when one the 4 ‘apply’ buttons is selected as in previous REW versions.

The new preset mode is a nice addition. Using that to set/recall settings is helpful. Choosing select there does make all the changes indicated to the current measurement selection.

Sometimes changing between 2 preset settings and applying the changes with ‘overlay selections’ the ‘All SPL selections’ are also changed. [The order in which this is done may be impacting what happens. I think it works as expected sometimes. I’m still a little confused.]

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Sounds odd. All IR window setting changes are applied as they are made, including window widths and window types.

The buttons seem to work as expected for me - any measurements selected on the All SPL graph get the settings if that button is pressed, any measurements selected on the Impulse overlay graph get the settings for that button. When a preset is selected it will be applied to the current measurement. Let me know if you find a way of reproducing unexpected behaviour.

jtalden

More  
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
Front Speakers
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
First, I was mistaken about my first point. Any changes to main IR windows dialog does indeed take effect immediately. I must have reduced the left window instead of the right one by mistake when testing that.

Second, in reference to the attached mdat, the chart below shows the result after selecting measurement 3 (CC) as the current selection and then changing to the All SPL window. The overlays window and IR windows dialogs were arrange arranged as shown to easily observe the actions. All SPL has the FL, FR and CC selected. The overlay window has the last two measurements selected. [They are identical for SPL - only their phase is a little different.]
1 default setup.jpg

The chart below shows the resulting effect after selecting the 5-cycle FDW preset and then selecting 'Apply to Impulse overlay selections'. The overlay changes as expected. The current measurement (CC) also changes in the All SPL window as I now understand is intended, but I was confused by this initially.

The only open question is; if you intended for the FL and FR to also change in the All SPL window.

3 Apply to overlays.jpg

If you need the mdat I can try again tonight. My ISP is dropping out too often today to upload it.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I guess one source of confusion is there are two "All SPL" graphs, the one on the main window and the one on the Overlays window. The button refers to the one on the main window, I'll clarify that in a tooltip. Settings are applied to measurements, so whether a measurement is affected depends on whether it is selected on the associated graph, irrespective of what selections there are on other graphs. Other graphs will change if they are showing an affected measurement.

There is a bug with the preset FDW width displays after closing down and re-opening REW. The displays show 15 cycles when next opened, even though the preset does contain the actual width it was saved with. I have fixed that for the next build.

jtalden

More  
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
Front Speakers
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
I guess I am still not understanding. I pressed the button for the overlay graph (measurements 4,5 selected) and the main overlay graph also changed measurements 1,2.

No matter, I don't know that this will be any problem until I actually work with it. I will also reread your post a few more times. Things take a while to sink in these days.

boxerfan88

Registered
More  
Yamaha RX-A3030
Main Amp
DA&T A38 Integrated
Front Speakers
Usher Mini Dancer 2
Center Channel Speaker
Usher
Surround Speakers
Bose
Subwoofers
Orisun DD12
Video Display Device
Samsung Plasma TV
Running 5.20.14ea19, I may have found another bug with sweep import. It says it is unable to detect timing reference at the end of the sweep. It's actually there.

Files to reproduce is attached.

Attachments

• 256kMeasSweep_30_to_20000_-15_dBFS_48k_PCM24_L_refL.wav
    3.4 MB
  • 256k NoEQ L.wav
    1.7 MB
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom