Room Curves Anyone?

mccarty350

I just wanted to share with the group a ton of my targets. A lot of them I took and created based off of Harman/Toole documentation.

If others have great targets please post them up, I'd love to try some others!

Let me know your thoughts. My favorites of the 'standardized curves' are the linear phase Harman -4db curve and depending on the sharpness of the tweeter or drivers the Harman -6db curve. The -4 db and -6db indicate how negative in DB the 20khz mark is i.e. in the bass range it's around 0db and at 20khz it's -4 or -6db respectively. Note, all Harman Curves are not flat but are derived from fletcher munson curve concepts.

I couldn't attach the raw target files so I had to zip them. I also have minimum phase versions of all of these curves if anyone wants those but honestly it's just a checkbox in your target file, it's easy to change.

Attachments

• Target.zip
    18.2 MB · Views: 67

moedra

What I use is simple enough. Set one point at 10Hz and give it +2.5 dB. Set a second point at 25,000Hz, and give this one -2.5 dB. Set the phase to mixed % and then give both minphase bass and minphase top a value of 50%. That's it. Simple, balanced, and perfect, at least for me.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
That kind of target is right in my alley. People have different tastes, though.

Ofer

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
miniDSP 4x10hd
Main Amp
Emotiva XPR200 midrange amp
Additional Amp
Crest audio 2001A bass amp, Crest audio 8002 sub
Other Amp
Rotel RA930ax twitter amp
Computer Audio
Sony Bravia android TV
DAC
RME FF400
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Marantz original 5E CD
Front Speakers
Andromeda MkII
Subwoofers
18" OEM powered subwoofer, 18" Martycube Dayton A.
Screen
Sony bravia 65XF9005
Streaming Subscriptions
Deezer HiFi
Other Equipment
HP i5 running W10, HLC convolver for Audio Lense filters
Set the phase to mixed % and then give both minphase bass and minphase top a value of 50%. That's it. Simple, balanced, and perfect, at least for me.
Can you explain this part please? maybe add pictures as how you do it.

Thanks.

whoareyou

More  
Main Amp
Benchmark AHB2
Additional Amp
ATI AT525NC
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Exasound E38
Front Speakers
Psb synchrony one
Center Channel Speaker
PSB synchrony one C
Surround Speakers
Revel m105
Can you explain this part please? maybe add pictures as how you do it.

Thanks.
Hey Ofer,
On the target just change selection to Mix Phase Targets and then enter amounts bottom right of input form

1672261109443.png

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
At some point this moves from room correction to personal taste tone control... Not a bad thing, just personal taste...
Speaking of which, anyone using something like Tone Projects Kelvin or LiquidSonics Reverberate to sweeten the mix?

Last edited:

whoareyou

More  
Main Amp
Benchmark AHB2
Additional Amp
ATI AT525NC
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Exasound E38
Front Speakers
Psb synchrony one
Center Channel Speaker
PSB synchrony one C
Surround Speakers
Revel m105
At some point this moves from room correction to personal taste tone control... Not a bad thing, just personal taste...
Speaking of which, anyone using something like Tone Projects Kelvin or LiquidSonics Reverberate to sweeten the mix?
Of course it's partly personal taste, but it's also based on a good deal of scientific research.

moedra

Hey Ofer,
On the target just change selection to Mix Phase Targets and then enter amounts bottom right of input form

View attachment 58120
Yes, this is it. Just change the percentages in the lower right. 50% and 50% sounds good to me, but I'm sure that on different systems your mileage may vary a little. Experiment with it.

moedra

In my case the target is based on the required application. I use it for audio mastering, so my target needs to be linear and balanced so that anything I do and release to clients is "calibrated" to be commercially compliant. I have been working with it this way for so long now that it has become my preferred target for casual listening as well. I'm so used to it that I can instantly tell (hear) when something sounds off in the source material. No other target shape or slope sounds calibrated to me. I can't turn that part of my brain off. It's the engineer in me.

Ofer

More  
miniDSP 4x10hd
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Computer Audio
Sony Bravia android TV
DAC
RME FF400
Marantz original 5E CD
Front Speakers
Andromeda MkII
Subwoofers
Screen
Sony bravia 65XF9005
Streaming Subscriptions
Deezer HiFi
Other Equipment
Hey Ofer,

View attachment 58120
Thanks. This sounds better then exactly the same curve only minphase! Can't place my fingure on it but it improves the overall sound. Not sure it would be good for video.

whoareyou

More  
Main Amp
Benchmark AHB2
Additional Amp
ATI AT525NC
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Exasound E38
Front Speakers
Psb synchrony one
Center Channel Speaker
PSB synchrony one C
Surround Speakers
Revel m105
Thanks. This sounds better then exactly the same curve only minphase! Can't place my fingure on it but it improves the overall sound. Not sure it would be good for video.
On critical listening (and instant switching with something like HangLoose Convolver), I prefer the mixed phase, since it seems to pull the bass in to center a bit more, but I'm happy with either type of curve.

Interesting you mention video, for which I have two methods of playback. If music video, I'll always use Jriver and playback via my DAC and AL filters. Always sounds superior to any result I get if I try and playback via my receiver. For whatever reason, Audyssey and music just don't mix well for me.

Plain old movies are a different story, I prefer the simplicity (because of the various audio formats i.e especially Atmos it supports) of just using my receiver with Audyssey. For movies it sounds good IMHO, and not worth trying to roll my own solutions.

Ofer

More  
miniDSP 4x10hd
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Computer Audio
Sony Bravia android TV
DAC
RME FF400
Marantz original 5E CD
Front Speakers
Andromeda MkII
Subwoofers
Screen
Sony bravia 65XF9005
Streaming Subscriptions
Deezer HiFi
Other Equipment
I don't have a receiver. Only the 2.1 setup with AL and HLC. For videos I use the minimal delay filters with only one loaded on HLC. Works great.

Last edited:

moedra

On critical listening (and instant switching with something like HangLoose Convolver), I prefer the mixed phase, since it seems to pull the bass in to center a bit more, but I'm happy with either type of curve.

Interesting you mention video, for which I have two methods of playback. If music video, I'll always use Jriver and playback via my DAC and AL filters. Always sounds superior to any result I get if I try and playback via my receiver. For whatever reason, Audyssey and music just don't mix well for me.

Plain old movies are a different story, I prefer the simplicity (because of the various audio formats i.e especially Atmos it supports) of just using my receiver with Audyssey. For movies it sounds good IMHO, and not worth trying to roll my own solutions.
I've done a lot of experimenting and cross-referencing with HLConvolver as well, which is how I came to settle on that 50/50 blend. It's strange but for some reason that combo in audiolense has always sounded the best to me. It's been the most enjoyable for me in terms of what audiolense has to offer.

Top Bottom