Onkyo RZ50 Owners thread

BillieThePuppet

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
onkyo rz50
Has anyone expanded to 11.2 ?

I do not currently have an external amp but I have my other receiver. Also an Onkyo ( 496 ) I never hooked it up and was curious if I could use it to power 2 more speakers should I extend.

Also only running on one sub at the moment as its impossible to find a matching .

( skw-960 ) It came again from Onkyo but was only included in HTIB sets.

dlaloum

More  
Integra DTR 70.4
Main Amp
Integra DTR 70.4 / Crown XLS2500
Additional Amp
Quad 606
Computer Audio
HTPC with MediaMonkey
Front Speakers
Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1
Center Channel Speaker
Anthony Gallo Reference AV Center
Surround Speakers
PSB Alpha
Screen
Sony X90H

Sonnyhad3

More  
onkyo rz50
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
sony ultra hd 4k blu ray
Front Speakers
polk
Center Channel Speaker
polk
Surround Speakers
Pioneer bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Polk
Subwoofers
dual polk 10"

Sonnyhad3

More  
onkyo rz50
sony ultra hd 4k blu ray
Front Speakers
polk
Center Channel Speaker
polk
Surround Speakers
Pioneer bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Polk
Subwoofers
dual polk 10"
Hello, is there any news of whether the rz50 can be updated to dirac bass management? I have dual subs and not getting the bass i am wanting.

dlaloum

More  
Integra DTR 70.4
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Quad 606
Computer Audio
HTPC with MediaMonkey
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
PSB Alpha
Screen
Sony X90H
Hello, is there any news of whether the rz50 can be updated to dirac bass management? I have dual subs and not getting the bass i am wanting.
It doesn't have independent channels for the subs - there is only a single channel (basically a Y split on a single channel).

So in theory DLBC single sub would be possible (better integrating full range mains with the Sub) - but multi-sub will never be possible on an RZ50.

According to Dirac a "New Version" of Dirac Live with new features is due to be announced in January... presumably this will be the official announcement of SRC... but I doubt the RZ50 and current siblings are due to receive DLBC and SRC.

All indications are that these will be available on the new flagship models which will hoprefully be released in January along with the new Dirac Live... (and these should have the requisite seperate sub channels, as well as a more powerful set of DSP chips for the additional processing requirements)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
All indications are that these will be available on the new flagship models which will hoprefully be released in January along with the new Dirac Live... (and these should have the requisite seperate sub channels, as well as a more powerful set of DSP chips for the additional processing requirement

Unfortunately, this is isn’t accurate. We’ll have full coverage once the embargo/NDA are lifted… but anything you see revealed by Dirac during 2023 won’t require “more powerful DSP chips.” And, your information as to specific model ranges and timing is also off.

Just hang in there for a few more days and we’ll have all of the details and current information that can be made publicly available ready for you to chew through!

Sonnyhad3

More  
onkyo rz50
sony ultra hd 4k blu ray
Front Speakers
polk
Center Channel Speaker
polk
Surround Speakers
Pioneer bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Polk
Subwoofers
dual polk 10"
Unfortunately, this is isn’t accurate. We’ll have full coverage once the embargo/NDA are lifted… but anything you see revealed by Dirac during 2023 won’t require “more powerful DSP chips.” And, your information as to specific model ranges and timing is also off.

Just hang in there for a few more days and we’ll have all of the details and current information that can be made publicly available ready for you to chew through!
Hanging on to my britches!

theetjuh

More  
Onkyo TX-RZ70
Sony UBP-X800M2
Front Speakers
Q Acoustics 2050i
Center Channel Speaker
Q Acoustics 2000Ci
Surround Speakers
Q Acoustics 2020i
Front Height Speakers
Q Acoustics QI65C
Rear Height Speakers
Q Acoustics QI65C
Subwoofers
BK Elec XXLS400-DF
Video Display Device
LG 77G1
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony Elite
Streaming Equipment
Vero V (OSMC), Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019)
Other Equipment
Sony PlayStation 5
Yeah same, they finally are starting selling the RZ50 in EU, but am waiting for the newer stuff, since I have been waiting for almost 2 years already, I can wait a little longer.

dlaloum

More  
Integra DTR 70.4
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Quad 606
Computer Audio
HTPC with MediaMonkey
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
PSB Alpha
Screen
Sony X90H

Waiting with great impatience...

Saw your interview - a bit sad that they are not proposing to take it beyond 150Hz initially, and 300Hz in the short-medium term.

Waiting to hear more details of peoples hands on reviews with this kit, in their own setups!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
The purposeful limitation is only because this technology can have a negative effect in an environment when not deployed carefully. The only way to give it a little fudge room, if you will, is to keep it focused on the extreme low end.

Don't be too sad, tho. I listened to demo materials over a 30 minute period... had a chance to get up and walk around to hear the effects throughout the room... and its impact is real. Real good. Trust me... it's going to be well received!

tjcinnamon

The purposeful limitation is only because this technology can have a negative effect in an environment when not deployed carefully. The only way to give it a little fudge room, if you will, is to keep it focused on the extreme low end.

Don't be too sad, tho. I listened to demo materials over a 30 minute period... had a chance to get up and walk around to hear the effects throughout the room... and its impact is real. Real good. Trust me... it's going to be well received!
I'd love it if they offered something like a Dynamic EQ like in Audyssey. I had Dirac for a few years as of a few months ago and I find DEQ to work better for home theater.

I get why they are focusing on under 150Hz. That's unequivocally the most difficult range to attack decay times. The omni directional nature of lower frequencies is I think why this can be employed successfully and not be noticeable outside of MLP.

The alternative is Audyssey copies them but there's basically 0% chance that happens (if nothing else because of patents).

chashint

This tidbit of information sorta makes me regret buying the Pioneer VSX-LX505 which will arrive on Monday.
Hopefully the $200 discount Electronics Expo had on Amazon will be enough to quell the FOMO for anything cool that drops in 2023.
If this is only related to Dirac it really does not matter that much to me, so only time will tell if I think i made a wise purchase or not.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
We are free to talk about Dirac ART now… the only processor that will utilize it to start is StormAudio. Outside of that, other manufacturers will be given the option to add it (or some form of it) at their discretion and for an extra charge of $299, give or take.

I still think you’re fine with the Pioneer. There’s no guarantee that any of the consumer AVR lines will carry ART. And if they eventually do, when they roll out is completely unknown.

Take delivery of that Pioneer. Enjoy it. It’s going to give you great performance… and if ART eventually finds its way to Pioneer, you’ll have the option to upgrade. If not, you can always sell and buy something else. I wouldn’t sweat it tho!

tjcinnamon

This tidbit of information sorta makes me regret buying the Pioneer VSX-LX505 which will arrive on Monday.
Hopefully the $200 discount Electronics Expo had on Amazon will be enough to quell the FOMO for anything cool that drops in 2023.
If this is only related to Dirac it really does not matter that much to me, so only time will tell if I think i made a wise purchase or not.
We are free to talk about Dirac ART now… the only processor that will utilize it to start is StormAudio. Outside of that, other manufacturers will be given the option to add it (or some form of it) at their discretion and for an extra charge of $299, give or take.

I still think you’re fine with the Pioneer. There’s no guarantee that any of the consumer AVR lines will carry ART. And if they eventually do, when they roll out is completely unknown.

Take delivery of that Pioneer. Enjoy it. It’s going to give you great performance… and if ART eventually finds its way to Pioneer, you’ll have the option to upgrade. If not, you can always sell and buy something else. I wouldn’t sweat it tho!
Don't feel bad either. It will a long time before consumer AVR's get it (my prediction) and historically Dirac takes a while before something is stable. I've used Dirac since the middle versions of version 1 and it's usually pretty buggy upfront.

I think this is a good move by Dirac to start with a smaller subset of subject matter experts or people who have "installer" resources while they work out the kinks and optimize for different viewing/listening environments. I'm using that to quell my FOMO.

I'm surprised how much heat Audyssey got for their bad licensing where people will be in for approx $700 to $800 for Dirac licensing. I suppose it being perpetual is the nice option.

Long story short, think of this is a way to you to break apart the licensing cost and wait for things to shake out.

chashint

Thanks,
If the hardware remains the same, changes to room correction algorithms do not matter too much to me.
I have always waffled between using room correction (MCACC and Audyssey) and keeping it turned off.
While it does change the sound so it is different I don’t really know if I think it is better or just different.
Dirac will give me something new to play with in any case.
Hopefully dialogue will be better, but that starts at the source material and as long as the voice sound track is mixed the way it is there’s not really anything significant that an AVR can do.
Object oriented sound for the home users really missed an opportunity by not mandating the dia track being a unique object that could be manipulated by the home user.

theetjuh

More  
Onkyo TX-RZ70
Sony UBP-X800M2
Front Speakers
Q Acoustics 2050i
Center Channel Speaker
Q Acoustics 2000Ci
Surround Speakers
Q Acoustics 2020i
Front Height Speakers
Q Acoustics QI65C
Rear Height Speakers
Q Acoustics QI65C
Subwoofers
BK Elec XXLS400-DF
Video Display Device
LG 77G1
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony Elite
Streaming Equipment
Other Equipment
Sony PlayStation 5
Most of us would have thought, during CES we would get more info, do you have an indication 'when'?

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Most of us would have thought, during CES we would get more info, do you have an indication 'when'?

It’s all right here:

theetjuh

More  
Onkyo TX-RZ70
Sony UBP-X800M2
Front Speakers
Q Acoustics 2050i
Center Channel Speaker
Q Acoustics 2000Ci
Surround Speakers
Q Acoustics 2020i
Front Height Speakers
Q Acoustics QI65C
Rear Height Speakers
Q Acoustics QI65C
Subwoofers
BK Elec XXLS400-DF
Video Display Device
LG 77G1
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony Elite
Streaming Equipment
Other Equipment
Sony PlayStation 5
Aahh since you replied too @dlaloum my impression was that you talked about the RZ70 and/or RZ90.

dlaloum

More  
Integra DTR 70.4
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Quad 606
Computer Audio
HTPC with MediaMonkey
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
PSB Alpha
Screen
Sony X90H
Aahh since you replied too @dlaloum my impression was that you talked about the RZ70 and/or RZ90.
I was hoping for the RZ70/90, but it looks like Storm Audio got an inside run, and other contenders will have to wait... (to get Dirac Live -ART) Based on the interview.... until at least 4Q - so late 2023.

Sounds to me like we won't see the flagship models for another year (from Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer)

I expect other Dirac linked brands will also jump aboard around the same time - JBL, NAD...

But based on that interview, it sounds like 2024 will be the year when Dirac Live - Active Room Treatment becomes more widely available.

Onkyo could release their TOTL models with DLBC - amd the option of a later upgrade to DL-ART....

But the resounding silence from the Onkyo team continues.... (even though late last year they stated they were trialling the "model up from the RZ70" in their auditorium in the US... with the visiting Japanese designers...)

Oh well, I guess I cannot complain - my Integra DRX3.4 (with external amps) has resulted in a definite step up in performance. - and will tide me over until the next big thing becomes available at a reasonable price.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
I wish I had specific model information for you. Right now, it’s impossible know what manufacturers are going to do with this technology. Obviously, there’s the issue of license cost, and there’s little doubt that manufacturers will use ART to push sales to top models.

As you point out, we’re still waiting to see what will happen with Bass Control.

So, while companies have the software in hand, now, we likely won’t see it on the Marantz’s and Onkyo’s of the world until 2024 at the earliest.

tjcinnamon

I wish I had specific model information for you. Right now, it’s impossible know what manufacturers are going to do with this technology. Obviously, there’s the issue of license cost, and there’s little doubt that manufacturers will use ART to push sales to top models.

As you point out, we’re still waiting to see what will happen with Bass Control.

So, while companies have the software in hand, now, we likely won’t see it on the Marantz’s and Onkyo’s of the world until 2024 at the earliest.
Any speculation about what Audyssey might do with their MQX offering. I really like it but curious where they could take it

dlaloum

More  
Integra DTR 70.4
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Quad 606
Computer Audio
HTPC with MediaMonkey
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
PSB Alpha
Screen
Sony X90H
Any speculation about what Audyssey might do with their MQX offering. I really like it but curious where they could take it
Unless someone in the back skunkworks has been doing A LOT of R&D, I doubt Audyssey has an answer to DL-ART.

They pretty much stopped development 10 years ago when Denon/Marantz purchased the exclusive licence for Audyssey, shutting out other competitors. MQX is just the abilities of the Audyssey installers pro-kit, repackaged for the current series and with a new user interface for the mass market.... nothing new there.

D&M are aware of this, and therefore are opening the window to Dirac....

Dirac have said that if an AVR can do DLBC, then it can do DL-ART.... so there is nothing stopping D&M from providing DL-ART update options in 2024.

In the meantime, Audyssey is a perfectly viable competitor to standard DL, and even to a lesser degree, DLBC.... so it will cover most of the mass market without any trouble.

I expect that DL-ART will be reserved for TOTL hardware, primarily due to its licencing cost.... so Audyssey and MQX will not be under serious pressure for a few years yet.

tjcinnamon

Unless someone in the back skunkworks has been doing A LOT of R&D, I doubt Audyssey has an answer to DL-ART.

They pretty much stopped development 10 years ago when Denon/Marantz purchased the exclusive licence for Audyssey, shutting out other competitors. MQX is just the abilities of the Audyssey installers pro-kit, repackaged for the current series and with a new user interface for the mass market.... nothing new there.

D&M are aware of this, and therefore are opening the window to Dirac....

Dirac have said that if an AVR can do DLBC, then it can do DL-ART.... so there is nothing stopping D&M from providing DL-ART update options in 2024.

In the meantime, Audyssey is a perfectly viable competitor to standard DL, and even to a lesser degree, DLBC.... so it will cover most of the mass market without any trouble.

I expect that DL-ART will be reserved for TOTL hardware, primarily due to its licencing cost.... so Audyssey and MQX will not be under serious pressure for a few years yet.
The ability to upload REW to create target curves which turns into FIR filters is underrated. Also, I think DEQ is a value add for sure. I didn’t know how much I missed it until I didn’t have it.

DLBC is nice but not worth the cost for how little it does.

ART, on the other hand, is revolutionary. I’m hoping that works well. To treat a room below 150Hz is near impossible and very impractical.

The only thing I can think of for Audyssey is to allow us to upload our own FIR filters which would include phase adjustments from rephase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom