Audiolense fails to start

DRCUser42

Registered
I also sent this to bernt@juicehifi.com but was unsure whether support was on this forum.

I installed Audiolense 6.19 64-bit on my Win 10 PC and it won't run.

Windows 10 Home 21H1 version 19043.1586
.NET version 4.8 installed
C++ 14.29 installed
Intel 10400 6 core CPU
16 GB RAM
4K monitor
Only JRiver and a small number of utilities installed

When Audiolense is run, there is a spinning cursor briefly and then nothing. Perfmon shows the audiolense.exe process running for a few seconds and then indicates it is terminated.

Switching BitDefender off makes no difference
Switching display scaling from its current 175% to 100% makes no difference
Switching display resolution to 1080p 100% makes no difference

Audiolense 6.18 and 6.17 exhibit same issue

I could not find any log files for Audiolense. Is there a way of switching on debugging or log trace?

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Hi DRC User. These things typically happens outside Audiolense. I doubt that debug info will make a difference. Have you checked event viewer? Maybe you will find info there. You could also try a new install of the visual c++ distro. And finally, try the 32 bit version.

DRCUser42

Registered
Thanks Bernt. I installed the latest C++ redistributable but it did not fix the problem.

The 32-bit version also fails the same way.

I eventually found these errors in the Event Viewer:

These appear to indicate a problem related to the license. I don't have a license yet - I wanted to trial first to see if it will work for me. Do I need some sort of default license file?

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
That looks like a problem inside Audiolense. Try to delete the al.ini file in the program data folder for a fresh start.

DRCUser42

Registered
I could not find any al.ini file in the program data folder. Just to be sure, I did a search of the entire C: drive for this file but there were no matches. Where exactly should this file be? Perhaps this being missing is a further clue as to the cause of the problem?

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Drcuser, i sm not able to påst a picture to show where you choose to see gidden files and folders. File Explorer and look for file-view-details. And choose “see hidden items”.

DRCUser42

Registered
I already had the view set to show hidden files in the file explorer and was looking in C:\ProgramData but there is no JuiceHiFi directory in there! The program files are under JuiceHiFi in C:\Program Files but there is no JuiceHiFi directory under C:\ProgramData (but it does have the usual contents otherwise).

So, I uninstalled AL, disabled BitDefender and then reinstalled AL but still no JuiceHifi directory under ProgramData and AL does not start.

I am a Linux guy so only use WIndows occasionally so not sure where to go from here. Any ideas?

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
I believe I’ve seen this before, a few months ago maybe. Have you tried to run Al with admin rights?

DRCUser42

Registered
I tried running AL as Administrator but it still failed. I uninstalled AL again and re-installed it as Administrator and then ran AL as Administrator but it still did not run and there is still no JuiceHifi directory in ProgramData. I only installed Windows on this PC in August last year and have since only installed JRiver, REW, Dirac Live and a few utilities, carefully ensuring they are virus free so I think Windows itself is OK. One thing it didn't try was to just create a file in ProgramData and run an fsck in case there is some sort of file corruption. I'll try that now just in case.

DRCUser42

Registered
Ok, I was able to create a directory under ProgramData without problem and a full filesystem check of the C: drive came back with no errors.

DRCUser42

Registered
Just tried uninstalling AL, manually creating the JuiceHifi directory in Program Data, and reinstalling - still did not work!
Any other ideas?

DRCUser42

Registered
I don't have a spare Windows PC so I spun up a Windows 10 VM on my Linux PC. Its running an older version of Windows, one from 2019, however I installed AL 6.19 and it had exactly the same problem - no JuiceHiFi directory in ProgramData and AL would not start.

@juicehifi are you sure the 6.19 64-bit download on https://juicehifi.com/download/ is OK? Any chance you or someone could try an install on a Win 10 PC that never had AL installed?

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Al crashes before it gets to where it saves the configuration. Something is preventing Audiolense from using one of its own dll files. One that is used to check the license file. That’s how it seems based on your screen shot. If I recall correctly, this file is embedded in the exe file. In any case you can assume that it is present. But it is a 3rd party dll that has its own demands on the os. I believe something is missing in your win10 setup.

DRCUser42

Registered
I just created a fresh Virtualbox VM and installed the latest version of Windows. I confirmed it had .NET 4.8 and installed the latest C++ redistributable. I then installed AL 6.19. It failed in the same way with no folder JuiceHiFi folder created in ProgramData.

So, that's now three different PCs: one real hardware running Win 10 21H1, a VM running a 2019 version of WIndows, and a fresh VM running the latest Win 10. All had the required .NET version and latest C++ redistributable. I don't believe it it is a Windows problem with my real PC.

Could it be a problem with the installer?

Last edited:

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
I’ll try to install it here. I’m in Spain where the last Al-install is 5.7.

DRCUser42

Registered
Thanks Bernt - I really appreciate your help, especially over the weekend and when you are overseas.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
6.19 installed and working right at. It has to be your pc.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Like I’ve said; I think I’ve seen this before. Maybe the answer is in another thread on this forum.

DRCUser42

Registered
This is really bizarre.

Was your successful install on a Windows machine that had never had AL installed before?

If so, given I have had it fail on three different machines, the only thing I can think of is that I must be doing something different to you either how I install Windows or how I install AL.

For Windows when I installed it, I just said no to all of the telemetry options and advertising options. Other than that, it was a virgin installation. For AL, I checked the .NET version and installed the latest C++ redistributable (version 14.31), then downloaded AL 6.19 64 bit from https://juicehifi.com/download/ and executed it, using the various "keep" options to bypass the Windows security features.

I can't think how to do it differently.

DRCUser42

Registered
I've just tried disabling everything I can find in Windows Security but no change. I also tried installing all the optional features of .NET 4.8 but this did not help either. I'm looking through past forum threads now to see if I can find anything else to do. I don't want to give up on AL but I starting to get close.

DRCUser42

Registered
I have checked through all the AL threads and there were some examples of people having problems with AL shortly after starting it but not with starting it in the first place. Any solutions they were offered I have already tried.

Unless someone has any other ideas, it is maybe time for me to try an alternative product.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
I know how frustrating this is. You have my empathy. The best thing I can do now is to call the community for help.

To those who listen: If you have ideas of things to try out, please share. Maybe you can rescue a fellow Audiolense user who is in trouble.

whoareyou

More  
Main Amp
Benchmark AHB2
Additional Amp
ATI AT525NC
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Exasound E38
Front Speakers
Psb synchrony one
Center Channel Speaker
PSB synchrony one C
Surround Speakers
Revel m105
This is really bizarre.

Was your successful install on a Windows machine that had never had AL installed before?

If so, given I have had it fail on three different machines, the only thing I can think of is that I must be doing something different to you either how I install Windows or how I install AL.

For Windows when I installed it, I just said no to all of the telemetry options and advertising options. Other than that, it was a virgin installation. For AL, I checked the .NET version and installed the latest C++ redistributable (version 14.31), then downloaded AL 6.19 64 bit from https://juicehifi.com/download/ and executed it, using the various "keep" options to bypass the Windows security features.

I can't think how to do it differently.
I've had variation of issue with application not starting with same resultant error in event viewer.

In my case XO version would start and all others would fail similar to what you see ( I assume you are running trial version with choice between 3 options? .... sorry from posts I am not certain). If you are running trial version, have you tried each of the versions to see if any of them will launch?

Out of curiosity I retried trial version with 6.19 on machine where I previously had failure, and now all 3 versions will start successfully. Nothing else was changed on my machine except normal windows updates and new version of AL.

I believe that the Juice Hifi hidden directory (in ProgramData) is created after you have launched the application, so depending on when the .NET fault occurs, that could explain why you can't find that directory or the .ini file.

Top Bottom