AL H/W or S/W Appliance?

aps

Registered
I've used AL for some time to perform x/o and room eq duties for a DIY speaker with great effect. My perennial question, however, is whether there is a set of stable hardware that would allow me to use the system for other (A/V) sources. Is there, for example, there a path to using the filters etc. when the source is an Apple TV via HDMI or (Optical) S/PDIF that is stripped from the HDMI? I've explored this idea in the past and there seemed to be some options that involved routing an audio input to pro-audio interface to a computer for convolution but it never came across as being a bulletproof set-up that could be used by the family. The ideal thing would be a h/w until that just works but assuming that that is a leap to far then a computer OS + S/W build that works with an external audio interface might be the answer. Any suggestions? How are others dealing with (multi-channel) AL with sources other than Roon?

hulkss

I route all system audio on my M1 Mac mini through the multi-channel convolver plugin "X-MCFX" hosted by Kushview "Element" software. Audiolense filters are loaded into the convolver. The system audio routing is done with Rogue Amoeba "Loopback" software. This can be a set and forget arrangement.

You can use any audio interface that will connect to the Mac by USB or Thunderbolt. I use a MOTU 16a for my multi-channel multi-subwoofer system. I use Jriver for playback from computer files. I play online sources with the Safari browser.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
What I do …. and prefere to do …. is use the PC (or Mac) as the entertainment center, including TV receiver(web TV), and use the tv strictly as a monitor.

HerbertWest

Same here. I also successfully tested Penteo VSX to real time upmix a stereo music track (or movie, eg YouTube or Prime Video) to 7.1, using the Jriver convolver to apply Audiolense filters for 7 channels and 2 subs. Audiolense convolver would have even lower latency, but didn’t try it yet.

Now I am considering to buy an external AVR to decode Dolby Atmos, and then connecting it’s Pre-outs to an audio interface in order to manage DSP in a 7.2.4 config using Audiolense, instead of Audissey. Curious if anybody tried it :)

aps

Registered
I route all system audio on my M1 Mac mini through the multi-channel convolver plugin "X-MCFX" hosted by Kushview "Element" software. Audiolense filters are loaded into the convolver. The system audio routing is done with Rogue Amoeba "Loopback" software. This can be a set and forget arrangement.

You can use any audio interface that will connect to the Mac by USB or Thunderbolt. I use a MOTU 16a for my multi-channel multi-subwoofer system. I use Jriver for playback from computer files. I play online sources with the Safari browser.
What I do …. and prefere to do …. is use the PC (or Mac) as the entertainment center, including TV receiver(web TV), and use the tv strictly as a monitor.
Are y'all using A/V sources other than the computer that does the convolution? The use of o-line sources via web-browser on the (convolution) computer would work if I can get a selection of Netflix, Prime, iTunes via a remote but it still leaves the issue of gaming console such as Nintendo Switch or XBox.

hulkss

I use Netflix, Prime, Apple TV with a web browser. Works great. My MOTU 16a has 16 line level analog audio inputs. I use them for microphones (mic preamp required). I have not connected a game console, but there is no reason that it should not work.

You will need to use low latency DSP filters and a low latency convolver for on-line videos or gaming.

aps

Registered
I use Netflix, Prime, Apple TV with a web browser. Works great. My MOTU 16a has 16 line level analog audio inputs. I use them for microphones (mic preamp required). I have not connected a game console, but there is no reason that it should not work.

You will need to use low latency DSP filters and a low latency convolver for on-line videos or gaming.
Are you referring "an Apple TV" (i.e., the box itself) or "the Apple TV streaming service"?

Re Motu: So analogue outputs from an external source (e.g., gaming console via AVR) are sent to the analogue inputs of the Motu before being routed via USB to the (convolution) computer and then routed via USB back to the Motu for D/A and then power amps? Is that the model?

hulkss

Are you referring "an Apple TV" (i.e., the box itself) or "the Apple TV streaming service"?

Re Motu: So analogue outputs from an external source (e.g., gaming console via AVR) are sent to the analogue inputs of the Motu before being routed via USB to the (convolution) computer and then routed via USB back to the Motu for D/A and then power amps? Is that the model?
Yes, the streaming service.

Yes, that is the signal path. I believe most call it "loopback". Some devices aimed more at audio for video may be able to "loopback" HDMI audio. I tried an HDMI audio extractor once. The audio was OK but it could not pass through high bandwidth digital video. You must be careful about latency of both audio and video.

Reactions: aps

aps

Registered
Yes, the streaming service.

Yes, that is the signal path. I believe most call it "loopback". Some devices aimed more at audio for video may be able to "loopback" HDMI audio. I tried an HDMI audio extractor once. The audio was OK but it could not pass through high bandwidth digital video. You must be careful about latency of both audio and video.

I've been thinking a bit about this and, with Apple TV and Game Consoles being built into the family routine, the answer might be as per below. That is, the convolution is done via AL Convolver with a digital source selector defining the input. The only concern that I've got is that it looks to me as if it's not possible to get AL Convolver to automatically start when the computer is turn on and off (which will be a problem for the family). Is this the case or can one set-up AL automatically start?

Top Bottom