AL H/W or S/W Appliance?

Omid

Over the course of this thread, I've migrated to the "Audiolense Convolver" appliance model as per the system diagram below. The reason for this post is that I’m now wondering if there is an option to use the W10 Computer as a Roon Endpoint thus allowing me to reduce box count etc … To this end, I've set-up Roon Server on the W10 Computer but the problem is getting the output to Audiolense Convolver given that the input is set to the 2-channel AES input with the pro-audio interface. Any suggestions on a solution to this issue? Is something like VB-Cable the answer?

View attachment 49969
I think a virtual cable may work, but I don't think it's necessary.

If I understood you correctly: If Roon is placed on the W10 machine, you should be able to set Roon to use Audiolense as the driver for your DAC (under settings, Audio, Audiolense ASIO):
Roon -->2 channel output within PC (no virtual cable needed) --> AL convolver--> 4 channel via USB to RME.

Alternatively (if your RME works like my Motu and allows you to route the signal from a USB input to loopback to the PC via USB output) you can output Roon (2 Channel) via USB to 2 unused channels on your RME and mix that with your AES signal and back to your PC.

aps

Hi @aps,
I have been following this forum for a while. One of the things the holds me back from going into audiolense, apart from cost, is the fact that it was hard to see how it could be family friendly. Your solution is by far the most family friendly so far.
BTW I have used a widows PC as a media center (kodi) for years (until smart TVs became a norm) and it is a very stable solution.

Yes, the goal has been to get the benefits of Audiolense created filters without compromising the family's user experience. The current set-up has been in place for some time with no issues.

You should be able to replace the Apple TV, The Roon Endpoint, and the digital preamp with the computer.

Sure, however, I do have other sources (see updated diagram below) and don't want to have to use a keyboard.

I think a virtual cable may work, but I don't think it's necessary.

If I understood you correctly: If Roon is placed on the W10 machine, you should be able to set Roon to use Audiolense as the driver for your DAC (under settings, Audio, Audiolense ASIO):
Roon -->2 channel output within PC (no virtual cable needed) --> AL convolver--> 4 channel via USB to RME.

Alternatively (if your RME works like my Motu and allows you to route the signal from a USB input to loopback to the PC via USB output) you can output Roon (2 Channel) via USB to 2 unused channels on your RME and mix that with your AES signal and back to your PC.

Strange I attempted this approach prior to posting but the "Audiolense" device just sat at a status of "enabling". This morning, however, I was forced to upgrade Roon and now it appears to be working. There are some gremlins as it looks as this sets up a new AL Convolver instance (source is RAAT Server) and swapping between this ad the AL Convolver instance used for the S/PDIF input into the RME audio interface is problematic. I'll have to do a bit more testing though to figure out the specific issues.

P.S. A more fulsome picture of the set-up is attached

Omid

Yes, the goal has been to get the benefits of Audiolense created filters without compromising the family's user experience. The current set-up has been in place for some time with no issues.

Sure, however, I do have other sources (see updated diagram below) and don't want to have to use a keyboard.

Strange I attempted this approach prior to posting but the "Audiolense" device just sat at a status of "enabling". This morning, however, I was forced to upgrade Roon and now it appears to be working. There are some gremlins as it looks as this sets up a new AL Convolver instance (source is RAAT Server) and swapping between this ad the AL Convolver instance used for the S/PDIF input into the RME audio interface is problematic. I'll have to do a bit more testing though to figure out the specific issues.

P.S. A more fulsome picture of the set-up is attached

View attachment 49985
Yes running two instances of Audiolense convolver might be an issue.

The virtual cable should work. I remember trying it and it wasn’t perfect. Can’t remember what the specifics though.

If your hardware allows, I think a loop back would be the least troublesome way.

hulkss

I control my system with my smart phone or iPad. This is possible because I host the convolver and other processing in REAPER. I can switch inputs, control volume, change filters, etc.

Top Bottom