V5.20.14 early access build

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlyoneme

Builds updated today with these changes:
  • Added: The RTA distortion settings have a control for the highest harmonic to include in the calculated THD figure
  • Added: Averaging measurements averages their distortion data if they cover the same frequency range at the same resolution
  • Added: There is now a help menu entry to generate a diagnostic file that zips REW's log files and a soundcard debug file
  • Changed: When the distortion graph Y axis is dBr show the equivalent major percentage figures on the right hand side
  • Changed: Added a checkbox in the generator playback panel to choose whether the signal should also be sent to the timing reference output (previously it went to the timing reference output whenever a timing reference measurement mode was selected). This setting does not affect sweep measurements, only the generator behaviour when not measuring.
  • Changed: RTA THD figure shows which harmonics are included
  • Fixed: X axis zoom buttons could stop working at very high time axis zooms
  • Fixed: RTA distortion panel text did not update when distortion settings changed if the RTA was not running
  • Fixed: Distortion graph THD subscript for harmonics showed the chosen calculation limit even if there were fewer harmonics available
  • Fixed: Predicted group delay smoothing did not match measurement when filters changed
For existing measurements I can see that the highest harmonic included seems to be 22
1680443182699.png

but the default setting seems to be 50 now
1680443060448.png

and that's what I can see for new measurements
1680443124146.png

Should I set this setting to 22 to have new results comparable to the old ones?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The highest harmonic depends on the signal frequency and the distortion low pass setting. If you don't want to limit the distortion harmonics leave the setting at 50.

onlyoneme

The highest harmonic depends on the signal frequency and the distortion low pass setting. If you don't want to limit the distortion harmonics leave the setting at 50.
Yes, you're right. I've opened more existing measurements and I've seen harmonics up to 50 indeed. Thx for the explanation.

oliver

Hi John,
Do you think it would be possible to make REW storing the settings for the inputs (sound card and selected channels) according to the selected measure, SPL or Impedance?
Thank you.

Lowclock

Looks like mouse-wheeling got kind of messed up in EA48. Scrolling down with the mouse wheel now makes the view zoom out AND move down to the very bottom of the window at the same time.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Builds updated with these changes:
  • Fixed: Y axis zoom out did not work properly
  • Fixed: Sine generator output could have harmonic artefacts at approx -178 dBFS

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Hi John,
Do you think it would be possible to make REW storing the settings for the inputs (sound card and selected channels) according to the selected measure, SPL or Impedance?
Thank you.
Most things are possible :) but something like that will have to wait for a more general review of the REW interface with a more task-focussed approach, which is something I will not get to any time soon.

JoinUs

Could you add a function so that L and R are measured sequentially?
I always click L and open the door in 2 seconds, come back in and click R and open the door again and leave.
Of course, it's okay because this measurement process is fun, but it would be better if L,R were measured consecutively at one click of the mouse. (Not L+R, but L,R can be measured individually and sequentially, even acoustic timing reference is applied.)

Lowclock

I agree. Being able to do batches of measurements with scripts or something, especially in >2 channel setups, would be amazing. However, I bet the answer will be
... something like that will have to wait for a more general review of the REW interface with a more task-focussed approach, which is something I will not get to any time soon.
which is totally understandable given the circumstances.

Breeman

Hi John,

I noticed that the contour lines and the plots displayed in the top graph area of the EQ Filters tab are faded. See below,
Snap3.png

JoinUs

I can add it to the request list.
Thanks! Thank you so much! If that function is added, the most worrisome part of using REW will be solved.
It would be an amazing change to open and close the door every two or three seconds and then come in and quickly switch from L to R so you don't have to click. =)

carl second

Registered
Is there a way to import shorter length wave file FIRs created via rePhase into REW version 5.20.14 without having it appear truncated?

1680603722691.png

At the moment my workaround is to use the 5.20.13 version then save as a file to be later to opened in v14.

1680603732002.png

If one does not do that, when performing A*B trace arithmetic operations the lower end becomes truncated as well.

Attachments

• Sur_4800_tap_50ms_48k.wav
    37.7 KB

socbutter

I am using version REW_windows-x64_5_20_14ea39 I don't believe Vector Averaging is supposed to do that. This is for FL, FR,SL, SR,TFL, TFR,TRL, and TRR.

How do I attach a .mdat file?

TFL Vector Average.jpg
My.MDAT file

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
How do I attach a .mdat file?
You just attach it, but you may not be able to until you have a few posts or if the file is very large (>20 MByte).

Vector averaging will show dips where measurements have significant phase differences. You can minimise that by ensuring the measurements being average have good relative time alignment.

socbutter

You just attach it, but you may not be able to until you have a few posts or if the file is very large (>20 MByte).

Vector averaging will show dips where measurements have significant phase differences. You can minimise that by ensuring the measurements being average have good relative time alignment.
Hopefully you be able to download from this Dropbox link

My .mdat file

John Mulcahy

REW Author
It would have been sufficient to save an mdat with just one of the averages and the traces that went into it rather than 60 measurements. Here are the responses that were averaged for TFL. Clearly they are not time aligned, that lack of alignment has corresponding phase differences that cause the dips in the average.

1680736738417.png

Just clicking the Time align button with those measurements selected gives a better result, but since they are very similar Cross corr align does a more precise job, giving this average:

1680736971667.png

dcibel

Just noticing it’s been nearly 6 months since the first 5.20.14ea release, must be getting close to making this version official?

Lowclock

I noticed some weird stuff going on with the impulse alignment tool. It seems like sometimes the graphs lose track of what the inversion state is. I included pictures and the measurement where it sometimes shows destructive interference increasing output, and also the opposite at the same spot moments later. Dragging around the cursor and clicking align and/or toggling invert polarity a few times seems to trigger it pretty consistently.
Edit: Oops, re-uploaded because the first zip accidentally included a different single measurement, but it doesn't really matter because it happens with any.

Attachments

• Alignment issues.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom