Recommended microphone for initial Audiolense measurement

Fon

I have two Umik-1 mics.With one of them I got consistent timing results between measurements, 0.02 ms of deviation, 0.04 in the worst case.. The other mic is unreliable, up to 4ms deviation, all the measurements are different by a large margin. The only difference between the mics is that the "bad" one has a USB Type C connector (and MiniDSP calibrated) and the other has a USB Mini B (and CSL calibrated).

wus

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Windows 10 PC
Computer Audio
1: ESI Maya22USB and an iSEMcon EMX-7150 microphone for measurements; 2: LogiLink UA0099 USB Sound Card for music output;
Front Speakers
2 x JBL 305P MkII
If you measure up to 140 dB you can divide the voltage in half (from 146 dB). Are you sure you need over 140 dB?
I want to do measurements on PA speakers, such as compression drivers, including distortion measurements. And to avoid too much room influence I want to position the mic as close to the speaker as possible.

Ofer

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
miniDSP 4x10hd
Main Amp
Emotiva XPR200 midrange amp
Additional Amp
Crest audio 2001A bass amp, Crest audio 8002 sub
Other Amp
Rotel RA930ax twitter amp
Computer Audio
Sony Bravia android TV
DAC
RME FF400
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Marantz original 5E CD
Front Speakers
Andromeda MkII
Subwoofers
18" OEM powered subwoofer, 18" Martycube Dayton A.
Screen
Sony bravia 65XF9005
Streaming Subscriptions
Deezer HiFi
Other Equipment
HP i5 running W10, HLC convolver for Audio Lense filters
What about the Behringer ecm8000? it connects via XLR so directly to the audio interface. It is also reasonably priced.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
The Behringer is good if it is accompanied by an individual calibration of drevent quality.

whoareyou

More  
Main Amp
Benchmark AHB2
Additional Amp
ATI AT525NC
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Exasound E38
Front Speakers
Psb synchrony one
Center Channel Speaker
PSB synchrony one C
Surround Speakers
Revel m105
The umik is ok, but challenging. I spend most of my support time on assuring a reliable measurement. The rest is a piece of cake. Umik is perhaps involved in 80% of those problem cases. The other side of the equation is a multichannel usb dac. Two different usb devices seems to be the most fragile combo. One device (mic connected to the sound card has 10 times better odds). And Pci(e) card with Asio is extremely reliable.

The umic with calibration is ok, but the umik driver is substandard, and maybe the hardware too. The driver does not tell the user what the microphone can’t and shouldn’t do. And sometimes there seems to be some sort of resource conflict between a usb dac and a usb microphone.So usb dac plus umic users often have a very tough journey before they settle on an approach that produces reliable measurements.
To resurrect thread...

Yes, I constantly fight the UMIK-1 / USB DAC combination when measuring. I get it to work via Direct Sound (WASAPI never works correctly), but I'd like to replace with "something" more reliable. I have no interest in replacing my USB DAC and just desire a more reliable measurement process.
So, are measurement issues largely resolved via a USB soundcard / USB DAC combination, such as one suggested above https://www.rationalacoustics.com/products/focusrite-scarlett-solo-gen-3. Of course this would be with new mike to replace the flaky UMIK-1.

It's still two different USB devices, which is reason for question.

Top Bottom