Peterman's HT 2.0

Peter Loeser

Staff member
Little copy/paste here from ye olde forum, but figured I'd get the build thread section going!

As some of you know I had to part with my first full HT build a couple months ago. Long story short, we sold the house and the buyer didn't want to fork over the cash for a custom home theater (duuuuuhhhhh?) so we packed it up and took it all with us. We've purchased land in Michigan and are just about to sign a contract with a home builder. Most importantly, I have a tentative floor plan for the basement space which will contain my next home theater!

upload_2017-4-26_1-30-12.png

The space I have set aside will be roughly 8'10" high by 14' wide by 22'4" long. Not by coincidence, these dimensions line up nicely with the so-called golden cuboid dimensions recommended by Cardas (here). Fortunately, ceiling height and stairway location provided the perfect space to fit room with a preferred dimensional ratio. The little wings on the interior wall have support columns in them (required to get the 14' width) and the door next to the bath/extra bedroom will likely be deleted. I have a few ideas for dealing with the two columns.

My planned setup will be similar to what I had previously. Two rows of seating, stadium style, 140" acoustically transparent 2.35:1 screen, 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos audio. My initial plan is to also use the Cardas speaker placement recommendations for a rectangular room (here), which would place the screen not quite 6ft from the front wall, giving me about 16ft long x 14ft wide of perceived finished space when it's done. I don't plan for the screen wall to be a baffle wall since it will place the speakers out into the room and away from the corners. It's all theory at the moment and I'll play with speaker and sub placement in the room before committing to a final layout. I'm not married to the Cardas layout but I see no reason to use it as a starting point. I also still plan to do acoustic treatment as needed.

I have some new ideas for lighting and general aesthetics of the room to come later but it will be a few months before I'll have a physical space to start playing with. I won't be buying many new components for the initial build since I was happy with my previous setup, so the majority of this build will be fine-tuning my setup and optimizing the space acoustically. And making it look totally rad, of course.

Ok, talking about a new build is fun and all but I know you guys really just want to see pictures. I made a very rough sketch of my initial thoughts for room layout:

upload_2017-4-26_1-30-36.png

Don't worry, it makes perfect sense to me.

Starting at the screen end, the screen itself will be hung on basically a framed but not finished wall, i.e. not a baffle wall. The space behind the screen, where the speakers sit will be treated with fiberglass or foam and bass traps if needed. I'll probably do some sort of curtain around the screen itself like I had before.

Along the sides I wanted to add some visual interest and texture to the room, and also needed a creative way to hide two load-bearing columns (blue, toward the top of the picture). These will probably be framed and wrapped with acoustically transparent fabric of some kind, most likely. I can incorporate absorption panels and surround speakers into them once i've decided on exact speaker layout (planning to accommodate both Atmos 7.1.4 and 9.1.2 as before). The idea is to have a nice clean look inside the room but still make use of the full 14ft width based on the Cardas ratio. To get a better idea of what I have in mind take a look at the two pics below. The stepped angled sections are what I'm going for. I'll do some kind of dimmable lighting tucked into the corners for the diffused ambient look. I don't plan to make the room white (or any light tone) though, so the effect will be slightly different for me I think.

upload_2017-4-26_1-31-1.png

upload_2017-4-26_1-31-26.png

Once I can begin staging speakers/subs and screen in the unfinished room I'll have a better idea of final surround speaker layout and seating positions, but the plan is to have a two tier viewing area again. I'll most likely place the front row as close to the screen as I can get it, possibly bringing the 2nd row farther away from the back wall, which would also hopefully prevent booming bass in that seat. The idea of the half walls on either side of the rear seating section would be to give a sense of walking into a commercial cinema when you enter from the door at the back. I'll need to play some more with that once our couches are out of storage and I have some more accurate dimensions. Since there will be space between the 2nd row and rear wall, I'll probably to a partial fabric wall there too. The projector, A/V rack and some diffusers will sit behind it. I'd like to incorporate some kind of active ventilation system through that area that pushes heat out of the room, but as quietly as possible, so I still have some details to work out there.

Things I still need to consider... sound containment (i.e. double layer walls, insulation and soundproofing, etc.), AC duct work location, actual materials (carpet/wall colors, etc). In terms of A/V components, I can get it up and running with what I already have. At some point I'll likely upgrade to the OPPO 203 and a UHD projector.

Well it's a start! Basement load bearing structures should be in place within a week or so and we're hoping the house (modular) will be delivered by the end of the month. HT will go on the right side of the near end of the basement as pictured.

upload_2017-4-26_1-31-45.png

Any and all questions, suggestions, criticism, etc. welcome at any time.

Last edited by a moderator:

chrapladm

Staff member
Looks great Peter. Glad to see a build from scratch. DO you already have the electronics and speakers or do you plan on upgrades and future purchases in the future?

Peter Loeser

Staff member
Looks great Peter. Glad to see a build from scratch. DO you already have the electronics and speakers or do you plan on upgrades and future purchases in the future?

I'm planning to use all or most of what I had in the previous build, at least to get things going.

Jack

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Integra 9.8 pre/pro, Denon 4520ci
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA5
Additional Amp
Darid I30
Other Amp
Hafler 220
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo
Front Speakers
Klipsch KLF10
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch C7
Surround Speakers
Various
Subwoofers
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Other Speakers or Equipment
Lita Audio Tube Dac, MyDac, Home made Music server
Video Display Device
Panasonic Viera Plasma, 65"
Remote Control
Lots
This is exciting Peter, looking forward to the build. Good Luck.

1_sufferin_mind

Supporter
More  
Emotiva XMC-2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
McCormack DNA-1 Custom Monoblocks (On Standby)
Other Amp
Woo Audio WA6se w/ Audeze LCD-2
Oppo BDP-95
Front Speakers
Revel Ultima Salon
Center Channel Speaker
Revel Voice
Surround Speakers
PSB Image B5
Subwoofers
Seaton Sound Submersive F2+/- pair
Cary SLP98P / VPI SuperScout with JMW9 & Hana MH
Video Display Device
LG 65" OLED 65CX
Screen
TBD
Streaming Subscriptions
JVC X70R Proj ; PS Audio PWD w/ Streaming Bridge
Great to see you over here, Peter! Leave no stone unturned - we'd like to see every step! There are always hurdles, but how long do you think it will take this time around?

Peter Loeser

Staff member
Great to see you over here, Peter! Leave no stone unturned - we'd like to see every step! There are always hurdles, but how long do you think it will take this time around?
With the knowledge gained from the evolution of my first build over the course of about 4 years, I'm hoping to have this one done much more quickly. Cost and free time will likely be the major hurdles. I'll be happy if it's fully operational by Christmas 2018. We're getting close to Summer here in SW Michigan and should be settling into the house by about July, so I don't expect to get much done over the next couple months. Once the space is closed off I plan to experiment with speaker placement and acoustics before I commit to a layout.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Can't wait to watch this unfold! How far are you going with the room? Have you considered going with THX standards?

Peter Loeser

Staff member
Can't wait to watch this unfold! How far are you going with the room? Have you considered going with THX standards?
Lots to decide yet. I plan to go as far as my budget and space (and patience) allow but still with an emphasis on excellent 2 channel performance and comfort. Regarding THX, it's aboslutely a consideration in terms of layout, viewing distance, etc. The full volume of the room will be about 2750 cubic ft - comfortably within the limits of THX Select 2 / Ultra 2. I'll likely go to the very short end of recommended viewing range with the expectation that I'll upgrade to a UHD projector eventually. My front row sat fairly close to a 140" 2.35:1 screen in the previous build and liked it. I'm planning for two rows of seating with near field sub placement again, but that's subject to actual room response. If they work well in the cavity behind the screen wall they'll go there. The room will have no windows for maximum light control and a rear entry so the main portion of the room will be symmetrical. Acoustic treatment will be done right from the start, but my goal is to not over-do it and make the space too dead. I slightly overcompensated with absorption material the last time and when carpet was added it was right at the limit of being too much. I also plan to use the physical dimensions of the room and layout to my advantage to optimze acoustics. Anyway, like I said... lot's to consider still. I know there's a ton of knowledge and experience represented in this group so I'm anxious to see what questions, tips, criticisms, etc. come up during the process. Thanks for following! I'll do my best to bring regular updates. Some of which may be "Help, I'm stuck!"

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Sounds like you are well on your way to one incredible theater room.

Definitely watching this one!

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Wow... that is going to be a VERY nice room there Peter... you are doing it right. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one.... should be very interesting.

Peter Loeser

Staff member
Nothing terribly exciting but some of the framing has been done in the basement in preparation for the house to arrive next week. Or so we've been told. The Michigan state inspection has held up delivery a month from the original schedule. Still, progress is progress. Shouldn't be long before you'll find me on a lawn chair in the skeleton of a finished basement visualizing my future home theater :)

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Sony BDP S590 & Pioneer DV-610AV
Front Speakers
JTR NOESIS 210 RT - L/R mains
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Chase VS-18.1 x 2 - Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
h/k TC35C/Ortofon Super OM10/Pro-Ject Phono Box S
Excellent, a build thread from start to finish. Looking forward seeing it progress.

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
Truly a build "from the ground up" space. I cant wait to see this progress move forward, looks awesome.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
What Sonnie said... WOW! You have an unparalleled advantage in building it once then building it again with all the lessons learned from build #1. This will indeed be fun to watch.

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
Looking good!

Its nice to see how fast they put a roof on. Now the finishing can start.

Peter Loeser

Staff member
Basement framing will continue tomorrow (I think) and electric service should be active by the end of the week. So in theory I should be able to actually start making noise and getting a feel for acoustics and layout in within the next couple weeks.

What I'll need to confirm first are screen position/porjector throw, seating arrangement and platform size, and front channel speaker locations. I'm hoping a room less square than before will give me some more freedom to place my subs, but locating those is high on the list as well. From there's it's a matter of laying out the 9.1.4 speaker locations and running wires.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Looks like you are making great Progress! I just started to dismantle my setup, and we will be possibly building a new house in Mexico soon. It will be all clay and brick so I am very interested in your build.

Peter Loeser

Staff member
Had a couple questions on the thread I started at HTS and thought they were worth bringing up here.

First was why I didn't choose the golden trapagon shape for the room. Ultimately it came down to the limitation of ceiling height vs the width of the room toward the front. It would have been too narrow and I didn't want the room to feel cramped. Since I am able to achieve a good cubic ratio in the space I opted to make it as big as I could. This will allow me to keep my existing screen and hopefully the seating layout with near field subs (unless they perform ok behind the screen wall).

The other question was related to heat from the electronics. I plan to mount the electonics flush in the rear wall where there will be a space under a stairway adjacent to the back wall. My builder has said we could probably run an HVAC return duct above the back of the room, pulling heat away from the projector and front side of the gear rack. I plan to use some kind of temp triggered ventilation system for the cavity behind the gear/under the stairs. There will also be a small closet sharing that space so I plan to make it as easy as possibly to access the rear panels of the electronics after installation.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Just a suggestion: run conduits. I'd hate to see you run HDMI now (only to have it be outdated in 4 or 5 years)

Looking good!!!!

Peter Loeser

Staff member
I've asked about/considered that. I will probably do it for data/video runs, although my projector will be within a very short distance of the AV rack (as planned at least) so in the HT space it's not a major concern. Elsewhere in the house though, I definitely plan to make it as easy as possible to make changes/upgrades later. The electrician should be around this week so I hope to discuss the details with him.

Top Bottom