Peterman's HT 2.0

Peter Loeser

Staff member
Love your theater, and miss mine too.

In my last HT...We made fake acoustic panels, and covered them in GOM. We did this to give the room a true theater look, while still maintaining a not to dead room.

That’s my idea exactly. A true cinema appearance but good balance of acoustics. Some panels will just be an open frame with fabric, for the speakers and/or real acoustic panels to live behind. Planning to make them modular/removable too, so I can access wiring, speakers, etc without having to tear walls open.

I’ve definitely been missing this the last few years. Excited to have it functional again.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I had a section of panels that I needed to get access to behind them for my audio equipment and Blurays... What I did was attach velcro to the rear, and to the wood frame of the enclosure.

Peter Loeser

Staff member
So my wife and I walked into the furniture store to look at a specific set of washer and dryer, and ended up also ordering two recliners for the living room and two couches for the movie theater. And so it was time to bite the bullet and construct the riser.

I had been looking casually at individual/configurable theater recliners and sofas. Ultimately I decided on sofas, as I/we like the option to be able to lay all the way across. The two outer seats have power recline, and the middle seat folds down in to an armrest/shelf/pocket/cupholders/etc with little map lights up in the headrest. They are Ashley Party Time sofas if you're interested. Anyway, we got a great deal and they were delivered at no charge.

The riser steps are each 8" tall (bottom step matches the landing at the bottom of the basement stairs, just outside the door to the theater). There will be lights along the sides of the upper level and down in front of the two lower steps. You can see the boxes in some of the pictures. I'll post some more when the lights are installed.

The couches fit great and so far viewing as excellent from all seats. Constructing the riser was a big task but it was good to have some motivation to get it done. In time for Super Bowl too.

I am happy with the function and configuration of the room, so the rest is cosmetic. The studded walls will be insulated and drywalled, as will the ceiling. Then it's a matter of proper lighting and closing everything off with fabric panels I described in earlier posts, and carpet last. I will probably do some kind of diffusers along the back wall as well.

Then, you know, upgrades...

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
I've had the same seating for a couple of years. My wife also likes to lay down most of the time while watching.
It's not nearly as expensive as some so I was worried it might not hold up well. It gets a bit of use. So far so good. :T

Peter Loeser

Staff member
I've had the same seating for a couple of years. My wife also likes to lay down most of the time while watching.
It's not nearly as expensive as some so I was worried it might not hold up well. It gets a bit of use. So far so good. :T
Glad to hear you are enjoying them and they are holding up well! It’s a nice upgrade for us.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
He lives!

Good looking seats. Looks like they fit perfectly, width-wise.

Time to get those walls up! ;-)

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
I agree, nice chairs! Looks very comfortable. :)

Peter Loeser

Staff member
He lives!

Good looking seats. Looks like they fit perfectly, width-wise.

Time to get those walls up! ;-)
I’m still here! Keeping a lot of projects gradually moving, so big HT updates have been less frequent and I’ve drifted slightly out of touch with the AV world.

Yes, the fit is perfect. And yes, shame the rest of the room looks the way it does...

I’m obsessing a bit over lighting, so that’s somewhat holding up the rest of the design.

Top Bottom