macOS convolver that works with Audiolense

2234rew

Hi @juicehifi and anyone else , cc @Mitchco

Is anyone actually using a macOS convolver that works reliably with Audiolense?

If so, can you share which program and how the filter files need to be generated in Audiolense ?

Thanks in advance

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Yes someone is .. and I shall forward the question to the old forum, which I will close in maximun two weeks. I

2234rew

I will be releasing a convolver for the Mac, but it's a couple of months away...

Wowza! Thanks mitch

Will it accept .alc files ? An idea of price?

I use Audiolense Convolver 1.0 on Win10 and it is so nice and easy but i really hate Windows for daily use

I can put up with Win10 for taking measurements and generating filters etc but was hoping @juicehifi would make a Convolver for macOS

One that works as simply as Audiolense Convolver 1.0

2234rew

Yes, Reverberate Core will run on a Mac, but I see a newer version and can't speak to it

Looking at reverberate manual it appears only 2 channel mapping is supported?

C5868C5B-5C05-444F-B1A8-D2BF94F6CA44.jpeg

specht007

Mitch, that is great news. Really lookig forward to this! How many channels will this convolver support?

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Looking at reverberate manual it appears only 2 channel mapping is supported?

View attachment 38440

I use Reverberate with my Stereo kit... Maybe your looking for CinematicRooms, also by LiquidSonics, that supports channel formats from stereo up to 7.1.6 for use with the latest Atmos workflows...

2234rew

I use Reverberate... Maybe your looking for CinematicRooms also by LiquidSonics that supports channel formats from stereo up to 7.1.6 for use with the latest Atmos workflows...

Hi ddude

How many channels are you using with Reverberate? Just 2 channels?

Did i understand the manual correctly that only 2 channels is supported?

Thanks for the CinematicRooms info - I'll have a look at that

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Hi ddude

How many channels are you using with Reverberate? Just 2 channels?

Did i understand the manual correctly that only 2 channels is supported?

Thanks for the CinematicRooms info - I'll have a look at that

Umm... Well, yes Stereo and a Sub running out the second Output from my PreAmp...

I am a Stereo Music guy first and an AV guy second...

I have been thinking about trying the CinematicRooms software and I am not as picky with AV surround sound as with Music... So, maybe you can let me know what you think about CinematicRooms...

2234rew

Umm... Well, yes Stereo and a Sub running out the second Output from my PreAmp...

I am a Stereo Music guy first and an AV guy second...

I have been thinking about trying the CinematicRooms software and I am not as picky with AV surround sound as with Music... So... Maybe you can let me know what you think about CinematicRooms...

Hi dude

Yes I'm a stereo music guy first also - but I need 6 channels because my Left and Right speakers are DIY DSP speakers, so I need Audiolense to manage the DSP crossover... Each driver for Left and Right is connected to separate DAC channel outputs (10 channel Focusrite DAC)

So I need software that can support more than 2 channels

So even though we are both stereo users, I was asking if you are only using 2 channels or if i understood the manual correctly that Reverberate only allows 2 channels

I only have 2 speakers and 2 subs. But effectively 3-way speakers, left and right only

2234rew

Looking at Cinematic Rooms manual:

I can't see anything about uploading impulse response WAV files, so I don't think it's a convolver.

So doesn't look like that works.

Reverberate is a convolver but it looks like limited to only 2 channel mapping (basically stereo passive speakers only), as per the manual screenshot I shared a few posts up.

Fog Convolver is not supported on the latest macOS 11.1 "Big Sur".... I asked the developer

macOS is so popular - we need a better solution :-) @Mitchco @juicehifi

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Only 2 channel stereo when listening to 2 channel music with Audirvana+ In my system there is two sets of output from the Preamp... One stereo set goes to a 2 channel Amp and the other stereo set goes to the active Sub...

As far as Reverberate goes it is only a 2 channel stereo convolver plus the other bells and whistles...

Alas, Cinematic Rooms does not seem to use convolver engine... My bad... I don't have another suggestion for you...

Mitchco

Wowza! Thanks mitch

Will it accept .alc files ? An idea of price?

I use Audiolense Convolver 1.0 on Win10 and it is so nice and easy but i really hate Windows for daily use

I can put up with Win10 for taking measurements and generating filters etc but was hoping @juicehifi would make a Convolver for macOS

One that works as simply as Audiolense Convolver 1.0

@2234rew still working that out...

Mitch, that is great news. Really lookig forward to this! How many channels will this convolver support?

Hi Mark, initially stereo, but will be adding multichannel support shortly after. Technically can support 256 channels.

2234rew

This is one option I saw but it is 499 euros.... yikes.

Obviously it does a lot than what we need here in this thread. But I don't even know if it does actually do what we need. Still looking.

perceval

Sorry, I don't know if they work wit Audiolense, but the options are Fog Convolver, LAConvolver and JRiver. I have used the last two with DRCDesigner before.

2234rew

Sorry, I don't know if they work wit Audiolense, but the options are Fog Convolver, LAConvolver and JRiver. I have used the last two with DRCDesigner before.

Thanks. Fog Convolver does not support latest macOS 11.1 and unknown if/when it will be supported.

Same for LAConvolver I believe.

perceval

One more reason to not update to the latest and greatest! ;)

I mean, updating to a new OS before xx.4 or xx.5 is asking for trouble. Especially with this one, where Apple didn't give dev any time to update their software.
One rule in audio... be one generation behind to avoid trouble and see it coming along the way.

Nobody needs Big Sur to play audio files. I plays quite well on much older OS and hardware.

BobStern

Registered
More  
Front Speakers
Thiel 3.7
Melda Productions offers a $59 8-channel plugin MConvolutionMB and a free 2-channel plugin MConvolutionEZ. They have been compiled for Apple Silicon.

p.s. I agree with perceval that, especially for a dedicated audio computer, there is no reason to install the latest version of MacOS.

BobStern

Registered
More  
Front Speakers
Thiel 3.7
Signalyst HQ Player has its own convolution engine that supports 32 channels, including cross-feed matrixing.

2234rew

Signalyst HQ Player has its own convolution engine that supports 32 channels, including cross-feed matrixing.

Hi Bob, I already use HQP (using Qobuz, Tidal and FLAC files on hard drive). For music only listening, I of course use HQP's built-in convolver. No problems there.

I should have mentioned in the opening post, I am looking for convolver to be able to easily apply audiolense room correction to other sources like Netflix, Spotify, etc etc . With HQP it introduces 500ms minimum latency, which is not accetpable for lip sync issues with video obviously.

Last edited:

2234rew

Melda Productions offers a $59 8-channel plugin MConvolutionMB and a free 2-channel plugin MConvolutionEZ. They have been compiled for Apple Silicon.

p.s. I agree with perceval that, especially for a dedicated audio computer, there is no reason to install the latest version of MacOS.

Thanks Bob I'll look into this plugin.

This is not a dedicated audio computer though. This is used for work but also used for watching videos too and I like to be able to apply room correction.

Audiolense Convolver 1.1 on Win10 works absolutely perfectly and is so easy to use but I hate and don't use WIn10 on a daily basis. I'm able to put up with it for taking measurements, that's fine.

Hence the search for a macOS convolver.

It sounds like @Mitchco and/or @juicehifi might have a good surprise for us in 2021.

Fingers crossed !

Aside from this, I have no issues with the latest macOS 11.1 release. It works brilliantly for me.

perceval

If you want to watch video, and have convolution on audio, I think the best app is JRiver.
You get a full fledge video player with sync, audio engine with all the bells and whistles, ability to also do sound matrix, etc.
You can apply a different convolution to each channel as well. I don't care too much about their pricing scheme, but it is a good app now for what you want to do.

2234rew

If you want to watch video, and have convolution on audio, I think the best app is JRiver.
You get a full fledge video player with sync, audio engine with all the bells and whistles, ability to also do sound matrix, etc.
You can apply a different convolution to each channel as well. I don't care too much about their pricing scheme, but it is a good app now for what you want to do.

Thanks !

I was just discussing JRiver with Bernt on another thread, comparing with VB-Cable ASIO Bridge on Win10.

@juicehifi likes to use JRiver. But he is using that in combination with Audiolense Convolver 1.1 on Win10.

So how would this work on macOS version of JRiver? Still need a low latency convolver right, for using with Netflix?

2234rew

When I mention video btw, it's not video files that I want to apply convolution to.

It is streaming services like Netflix, Qello, Apple TV, YouTube and Spotify etc.

Like I can already do with Win10 Audiolense Convolver 1.1 - this works really well with VB-Cable ASIO Bridge but I don't want to use Win10 daily.

I don't think I'm alone either, there is a big and growing macOS population.

Mitch has already mentioned he has something coming in 2021.

Last edited:
Top Bottom