How to simulate "loudspeaker sound" when listening through headphones

Obelix27

Registered
I like listening to music at a louder level than my neighbours would appreciate, but somehow listening to music through speakers is so much more enjoyable than through headphones, even though headphones are far more accurate. I assume this is due to missing the room acoustic (or maybe something else)? So is it possible to re-introduce the room acoustic when listening through headphones? Some sort of reverse impulse filter? Or am I miles off and there is some other way to achieve this when listening through headphones?

sm52

Listening with headphones will never be equal to listening with speakers.

Kal Rubinson

I like listening to music at a louder level than my neighbours would appreciate, but somehow listening to music through speakers is so much more enjoyable than through headphones, even though headphones are far more accurate. I assume this is due to missing the room acoustic (or maybe something else)? So is it possible to re-introduce the room acoustic when listening through headphones? Some sort of reverse impulse filter? Or am I miles off and there is some other way to achieve this when listening through headphones?
----------------->Smyth Realiser.<--------------------------------

Obelix27

Registered
----------------->Smyth Realiser.<--------------------------------

This seems to be exactly the sort of thing I am looking for, but at $4,000 it ain't cheap. I was rather hoping for some sort of software implementation which would obviously be a lot cheaper.(even free!).

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There are lots, players like Roon and Foobar have plug-ins for headphone listening. Search for headphone crossfeed.

teyhyrh4r

crossfeed plugins will bring the sides more to the middle, but not out of your head. famous example is canopener
if you want a real simulation you need binaural solutions, like the ones from Waves

DanDan

Staff member
I really like Canopener Studio by GoodHertz. It was originally an iOS app for 1.99. Could have changed the world. The balance between M (Centre) and S (sides) is significantly different between Speakers and Cans. As a prophet I did sugges float the idea of Binaural Impulse Response samples of great listening spaces to Altiverb and a world leading studio designer. It didn't take, but Waves have now done it. Unfortunately really badly to my ear. Truly Awful. I haven't tried this one, but it looks like a pretty serious attempt. https://www.dear-reality.com/products/dearvr-monitor

Obelix27

Registered
Well I loaded Goodhertz CanOpener into Cakewalk and frankly it didn't seem to make a lot of difference. Varied the Angle from 0..75, Amount from 0..150, Crossfeed parameters etc. but it didn't really make a lot of difference and certainly nothing like making me think I am listening to speakers! I also tried Sennheiser's dearVR Micro. This made a greater difference but again, nothing like listening to speakers. Maybe I am missing something.
It seems that crossfeed is pretty simple and just reduces the stereo for headphones, but the soundstage stays in your head rather than moving in front of you like Smyth Research claim to do (for $4k!).

DanDan

Staff member
Well, Canopener is very transparent. I work in a pretty anechoic Control Room, quite close to the speakers, so BIG CANS..... Used to that. I like Canopener because it for me it does move the centre of attention from in the middle of the skull to in front of the eyes. There is quite a bit more than just changing the balance of M/S, there are frequency and delay Head Related Transfer Function parameters. I would recommend give it another try. Altiverb's ability to place one in a space is fabulous, so I suspect that there will be a tide of successfull IR based Virtual Reality type products incoming. I remain somewhat gobsmacked at how awful the Waves one is.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
It sounds like you are looking for some kind of "Spatializer" and/or "Binaural Spatializer" effects plugin... Seems many have been covered above... You might also take a look at the suite of plugins by Liquid Sonics which has an interesting twist on IR convolution called Fusion-IR...

Last edited:

teyhyrh4r

binaural solutions will always colour, since real rooms are like that.
I have been atempting to "neutralize" a IR from a room:
I don't consider it finished, but it takes a lot of work, and I am focused on other stuff now. plus I don't realy use headphones much

Obelix27

Registered
I still can't get CanOpener to make a significant difference. It's more of a slightly reduced stereo effect than getting the soundstage in front of you.

Unfortunately neither Fusion-IR nor dearVR seem to have trial versions.

It seems there is a lot of work going on in this field, just a question of finding something that works. I don't know why, but listening on decent speakers is so much more enjoyable than headphones. It's just that the neighbours wouldn't agree!

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Last edited:

DanDan

Staff member
I still can't get CanOpener to make a significant difference. It's more of a slightly reduced stereo effect than getting the soundstage in front of you.

That seems odd. It is quite a dramatic change to the sound. What type of headphones are you using? Your regular reference tracks?

Top Bottom