Feature Idea: Load Atmos Sweep Files

tjcinnamon

Not sure if this is possible but it would be nice to load up Atmos Sweep Files and then have them function like channels. It would allow us to leverage the Sequential measurement feature and measure a 9.1.4 setup much more seamlessly.

Or if anyone has an ideas on how to do this without a specific feature, I'm definitely interested.

Thanks for everything and I love all the new features!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
No, it isn't possible. REW is not an ATMOS decoder and even if it were it has no connection to the additional ATMOS channels, nor is it an ATMOS encoder so it can't directly produce ATMOS streams for receivers.

tjcinnamon

No, it isn't possible. REW is not an ATMOS decoder and even if it were it has no connection to the additional ATMOS channels, nor is it an ATMOS encoder so it can't directly produce ATMOS streams for receivers.
makes sense. That's kind of what I figured.

jeppekristoffer

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon X3700H
Main Amp
Nad M27
Front Speakers
Dali Rubicon LCR
Center Channel Speaker
2-way with Purifi woofer & Gladen Aerospace 28
Surround Speakers
Dalin Fazon Sat
Front Height Speakers
Dalin Fazon Sat
Rear Height Speakers
Dalin Fazon Sat
Subwoofers
Faux sub through minidsp to front channels
Other Speakers or Equipment
5 Minidsp 2x4 HD
Screen
Sony XG95 55 inch
@John Mulcahy
Would it be possible to do "sequential measurements" from a file list i.e multiple files in a specific order in a specific folder?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That wouldn't help REW since it can't decode ATMOS files. You could probably jury rig something by setting up a playlist on something that can decode the ATMOS files, setting REW up for acoustic timing reference and and doing a repeated measurement run with as many repeats as there are files to be played back, starting the measurement with nothing connected to on the REW output the starting the playlist. You'd have to manually label the measurements for the channel corresponding to the playlist order.

thothsong

Not that I'm advocating anything be added to REW, but I don't understand the decoding bit. REW could continue to take an LPCM sweep file, just like it does now for measurements from files, plus a playlist of files (not limited to Atmos; I have DD/DD+/DTS sweep files, for example), and it would need to act like an audio player to bitstream passthrough output the playlist, which would not require decoding as such.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Audio players commonly decode their files before rendering them, but in any case Java's audio classes have no support for compressed formats or their containers.

canavan

Not that I'm advocating anything be added to REW, but I don't understand the decoding bit. REW could continue to take an LPCM sweep file, just like it does now for measurements from files, plus a playlist of files (not limited to Atmos; I have DD/DD+/DTS sweep files, for example), and it would need to act like an audio player to bitstream passthrough output the playlist, which would not require decoding as such.
What would be the benefit of having REW play the files? Would it not be sufficient for REW to support creating (and taking measurements with) multi channel sweep files, or being able to just take sequential measurements from multiple sweep files played back to back?

thothsong

What would be the benefit of having REW play the files? Would it not be sufficient for REW to support creating (and taking measurements with) multi channel sweep files, or being able to just take sequential measurements from multiple sweep files played back to back?
I did say I wasn't advocating adding anything to REW for this. For >7.1 sound systems with only HDMI input, LPCM isn't sufficient to access all channels/speakers. It would be a small convenience if REW supported sequential measurements with file playback, but if REW doesn't know the file playlist, it can't generate very useful measurement names; that would be the additional minor convenience of having REW play the files.

Top Bottom