Are all turntables alike?

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
I was looking at getting something with ht bypass to use of course with the x4200. I have no idea how to connect a separate 2ch amp with ht bypass to the x4200 and how it works.
Will all the speakers be connected to the x4200 except for the front left and right mains? How does the ht bypass work?

HT bypass is usually found on a PreAmplifier or Integrated Amplifier (read source + preamp + amplifier in one box)... So, if you are wanting to add an Amplifier to your Denon, there would be no need for HT bypass... You run your left and right preouts from your Denon into another amplifier's left and right ins... The center and surrounds are connected to your Denon as usual... For 2 channel you would select a stereo mode of signal processing with your Denon... For AV Multichannel, select a HT/Surround mode of signal processing with your Denon...

HT bypass usually bypasses the volume control subsystem of a PreAmplifier or Integrated and sometimes bypasses the entire preamplifier line stage... Otherwise you would be adjusting the volume on your Denon AVR as well as adjusting the volume on another preamplifier... Its not usually too swift to have two preamps, both with volume adjustments, back to back in a signal chain... A separate Amplifier does not usually have a volume control, it is the preamp that controls volume... There is often a gain adjustment for electrical signal matching between preamp and amplifier...

Last edited:

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
HT bypass is usually found on a PreAmplifier or Integrated Amplifier (read source + preamp + amplifier in one box)... So, if you are wanting to add an Amplifier to your Denon, there would be no need for HT... You run your left and right preouts from your Denon into another amplifier's left and right ins... The center and surrounds are connected to your Denon as usual... For 2 channel you would select a stereo mode of signal processing with your Denon... For AV Multichannel, select a HT/Surround mode of signal processing with your Denon...

HT bypass usually bypasses the volume control subsystem of a PreAmplifier or Integrated... Otherwise you would be adjusting the volume on your Denon AVR as well as adjusting the volume on another preamplifier... Its not usually too swift to have two preamps, both with volume adjustments, back to back in a signal chain... A separate Amplifier does not usually have a volume control, it is the preamp that controls volume... There is often a gain adjustment for electrical signal matching between preamp and amplifier...
For example I have an onkyo 805 receiver. If I wanted to use that receiver I like you mention connect the three L,R fronts from the denon L,R preouts to the L,R preouts on the onkyo while keeping all the speaker wires on the denon except for the L,R. Those would connect to the onkyo L,R speaker terminal. Is all this correct?

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
For example I have an onkyo 805 receiver. If I wanted to use that receiver I like you mention connect the three L,R fronts from the denon L,R preouts to the L,R preouts on the onkyo while keeping all the speaker wires on the denon except for the L,R. Those would connect to the onkyo L,R speaker terminal. Is all this correct?

No... L and R PreOut from Denon must go to an L and R In on your Onkyo... A Aux In L and R maybe.. And no... You still have the issue of running two preamps back to back, both with volume... Both your Denon and Onkyo have preamps and amps built into each... If your Onkyo has a feature to bypass its volume control and power on with a preset volume only then maybe it could be used... And its not really optimal to go that route... Each step in the signal chain introduces noise... An extra preamp with volume control in your Onkyo are extra and unnecessary steps... Best to swap out that Onkyo processor/preamp/amp for a simple amp...

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
No... L and R PreOut from Denon must go to an L and R In on your Onkyo... A Aux In L and R maybe.. And no... You still have the issue of running two preamps back to back, both with volume... Both your Denon and Onkyo have preamps and amps built into each... If your Onkyo has a feature to bypass its volume control and power on with a preset volume only then maybe it could be used... And its not really optimal to go that route... Each step in the signal chain introduces noise... An extra preamp with volume control in your Onkyo are extra and unnecessary steps... Best to swap out that Onkyo processor/preamp/amp for a simple amp...
Why is a separate amp 2ch better then the receiver? I get it to drive 2ch alone but when I listen to vinyl with the denon I only use 2ch and don't utilize the other speakers. I even do pure direct mode. Therefore I am not using all the speakers at the same time so it's dedicated to only 2ch.
Is a dedicated 2ch amp much cleaner sounding?

Last edited:

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Why is a separate amp 2ch better then the receiver? I get it to drive 2ch alone but when I listen to vinyl with the denon I only use 2ch and don't utilize the other speakers. I even do pure direct mode.
Is a dedicated 2ch amp much cleaner sounding?

I'll just give you my two reasons I think a separate dedicated 2 channel amplifier would make a difference... One reason is that an AV receiver aka a processor/preamplifier/amplifier has a bunch of stuff (read signal processor, preamplifier, amplifier, video processor and network & I/O) all built into a single box... Just for kicks lets say that box sells for $1,000.00 and there are 5 block functions, see above, so $1,000.00 divided by 5 is $200.00 for each block function... So, the amplifier in this multifunction box is worth about $200.00... Not exactly, and you get the drift... And I don't know how good a $200.00 separate amplifier would sound... I am sure that is not what that person, that told you to get a separate amplifier for better sound, had in mind...

The second reason I think separates are better and sound better is because there is not all of that stuff in one box... Think electrical noise (shades of Maxwell, Faraday and Tesla)... The separates design is optimized for a single function...

If you like your system, you can keep your system... If you want more/better, you can always get more/better...

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
HT bypass is usually found on a PreAmplifier or Integrated Amplifier (read source + preamp + amplifier in one box)... So, if you are wanting to add an Amplifier to your Denon, there would be no need for HT bypass... You run your left and right preouts from your Denon into another amplifier's left and right ins... The center and surrounds are connected to your Denon as usual... For 2 channel you would select a stereo mode of signal processing with your Denon... For AV Multichannel, select a HT/Surround mode of signal processing with your Denon...

HT bypass usually bypasses the volume control subsystem of a PreAmplifier or Integrated and sometimes bypasses the entire preamplifier line stage... Otherwise you would be adjusting the volume on your Denon AVR as well as adjusting the volume on another preamplifier... Its not usually too swift to have two preamps, both with volume adjustments, back to back in a signal chain... A separate Amplifier does not usually have a volume control, it is the preamp that controls volume... There is often a gain adjustment for electrical signal matching between preamp and amplifier...
Basically if I connect the Denon and Onkyo like you explained I would need to adjust the volume on both receivers? Adjust when listening in stereo on one and adjust HT listening on the other?

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
Why not just use the pure direct mode of the receiver. No need to go with a separate unit. Pure direct turns off all processing even the display.

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Why not just use the pure direct mode of the receiver. No need to go with a separate unit. Pure direct turns off all processing even the display.
Yes, that is exactly what I do use Pure Direct Mode. I was told that the weakest link I have is the avr for vinyl and a 2ch amp would be much better considering I am using a Lounge LCR Mk3 phono amp with my TT.

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
I disagree, I suspect that you would hear very little if any difference. Just leave it the way you have it and enjoy.

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Basically if I connect the Denon and Onkyo like you explained I would need to adjust the volume on both receivers? Adjust when listening in stereo on one and adjust HT listening on the other?

No... I have not ever, nor do I now suggest connecting both of your AVRs like this... And if you do go this route, you do so at your own risk... I was only correcting you connecting PreOut to PreOut...

Last edited:

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Yes, that is exactly what I do use Pure Direct Mode. I was told that the weakest link I have is the avr for vinyl and a 2ch amp would be much better considering I am using a Lounge LCR Mk3 phono amp with my TT.

I do not know who told you that or what their motivation might be... And I am guessing that what they may have meant was to connect to a totally separate preamp and/or amp and bypass the AVR entirely...

By the way, the LCR MKIII is a high quality, dual-mono, pure analog phonograph _preamp_...

If you want something better, then get something better... An Onkyo AVR is not better...

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
I do not know who told you that or what their motivation might be... And I am guessing that what they may have meant was to connect to a totally separate preamp and/or amp and bypass the AVR entirely...

By the way, the LCR MKIII is a high quality, dual-mono, pure analog phonograph _preamp_...

If you want something better, then get something better... An Onkyo AVR is not better...
Correct, bypass the avr entirely for 2ch using am amp with ht bypass.
Yes I really enjoy the Lounge.

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Correct, bypass the avr entirely for 2ch using am amp with ht bypass.
Yes I really enjoy the Lounge.

I get the feeling we are going in circles here... I have already said, above in post 126, that an "HT Bypass" feature may be found on a stand alone preamplifier or an integrated preamplifier+amplifier... Not likely to find on a stand alone amplifier...

I am sorry that I mixed phrases by saying "bypass the AVR entirely" used in a different context... To be more clear, I am talking about physically connecting the Lounge directly to a stand alone preamplifier and in-turn stand alone amplifier... Thus removing the AVRs entirely from this vinyl analogue configuration...

Last edited:

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
I get the feeling we are going in circles here... I have already said, above in post 126, that an "HT Bypass" feature may be found on a stand alone preamplifier or an integrated preamplifier+amplifier... Not likely to find on a stand alone amplifier...

I am sorry that I mixed phrases by saying "bypass the AVR entirely" used in a different context...
No worries. I think I'm just going to continue with the x4200 receiver. I thought I'd look into it but seems complicated learning the terms and what works with what.
The system sounds good already especially with the lounge.

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Class D Audio: SDS-470CS
Additional Amp
Shellbrook Audio Hybrid Head headphone amp
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Grado SR 325is headphones
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Origin Live Aurora MKIII turntable
No worries. I think I'm just going to continue with the x4200 receiver. I thought I'd look into it but seems complicated learning the terms and what works with what.
The system sounds good already especially with the lounge.

You mentioned a very important key sentence here: "The system sounds good already especially with the lounge." Many times you will be tempted to upgrade and upgrade and upgrade...but at some point I think it makes perfect sense to just sit back and enjoy the music : ) Unless there's something in the sound quality that's truly bothering you I agree with Tony's above comment on just leaving things alone and enjoying it.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Unfolded Circle Remote 2, powered by HomeAssistant
Streaming Equipment
PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
I frequently catch myself trying to find my next upgrade, just for the sake of trying to improve something. I can usually pair those moments up with sub-par content.

My 2ch system is fantastic. So is my theater. But if I put in a movie, or put on a record that isn't completely captivating, my mind wanders and my eyes look around to identify a new upgrade. Almost as if replacing my sub will make XYZ123 a better movie, or bi-amping my speakers will make England Dan and John Ford Coley's albums better (pro-tip: that's impossible).

Rather than trying to find new gear additions, spend that time and money looking for additional content. You'll get much more enjoyment out of it.

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
I frequently catch myself trying to find my next upgrade, just for the sake of trying to improve something. I can usually pair those moments up with sub-par content.

My 2ch system is fantastic. So is my theater. But if I put in a movie, or put on a record that isn't completely captivating, my mind wanders and my eyes look around to identify a new upgrade. Almost as if replacing my sub will make XYZ123 a better movie, or bi-amping my speakers will make England Dan and John Ford Coley's albums better (pro-tip: that's impossible).

Rather than trying to find new gear additions, spend that time and money looking for additional content. You'll get much more enjoyment out of it.

I don't disagree with the notion that you can be happy with what you have... And I see that you have a Tubed 2 Channel System as well as a Home Theater System... For some an Integrated AVR is enough... Others, not so much... We each have, or search for, our own AV NIRVANA...

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
I don't disagree with the notion that you can be happy with what you have... And I see that you have a Tubed 2 Channel System as well as a Home Theater System... For some an Integrated AVR is enough... Others, not so much... We each have, or search for, our own AV NIRVANA...

Absolutely. Just don't let it consume you and rob you of enjoyment.

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions

This is good, Thrillcat. Every now and then I'll play an album on my system and wonder why it sounds so compressed and edgy in the highs...then I'll put on something I know was recorded well and sit back in relief. I still have to remind myself the recordings do matter!! :greengrin:

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
A few weeks ago I picked up Daft Punk's Random Access Memories on 180g vinyl. Every time I put it on, I'm blown away at how good it sounds. Even if it's not your cup of tea, musically, it's a fun album, it really does groove, and it sounds absolutely phenomenal. Reference material for sure.

And just as a baseline, prior to owning this album, I really only had passive knowledge of Daft Punk. I occasionally put on the TRON: Legacy soundtrack as background music at work, but that was about it. Heard a couple tracks from R.A.M. at a friend's house and had to order it.

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
A few weeks ago I picked up Daft Punk's Random Access Memories on 180g vinyl. Every time I put it on, I'm blown away at how good it sounds. Even if it's not your cup of tea, musically, it's a fun album, it really does groove, and it sounds absolutely phenomenal. Reference material for sure.

And just as a baseline, prior to owning this album, I really only had passive knowledge of Daft Punk. I occasionally put on the TRON: Legacy soundtrack as background music at work, but that was about it. Heard a couple tracks from R.A.M. at a friend's house and had to order it.

I need to get a copy of R.A.M. I keep reading and hearing how good of an album it is.

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
You mentioned a very important key sentence here: "The system sounds good already especially with the lounge." Many times you will be tempted to upgrade and upgrade and upgrade...but at some point I think it makes perfect sense to just sit back and enjoy the music : ) Unless there's something in the sound quality that's truly bothering you I agree with Tony's above comment on just leaving things alone and enjoying it.
You may be right. Most of the time we search for better and better and waste money when it might not sound any better. I will stick to what I have for now. Besides usually an external amp/preamp is for people what listen loud reference or lower. I don't get close to reference much.

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
You may be right. Most of the time we search for better and better and waste money when it might not sound any better. I will stick to what I have for now. Besides usually an external amp/preamp is for people what listen loud reference or lower. I don't get close to reference much.

Sometimes I'm in disbelief when I listen to some systems that literally cost $150,000 and I am unimpressed. The audio hobby can be downright frustrating sometimes when trying to piece together gear that sounds well together.

Jack

More  
Integra 9.8 pre/pro, Denon 4520ci
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA5
Additional Amp
Darid I30
Other Amp
Hafler 220
Oppo
Front Speakers
Klipsch KLF10
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch C7
Surround Speakers
Various
Subwoofers
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Lita Audio Tube Dac, MyDac, Home made Music server
Video Display Device
Panasonic Viera Plasma, 65"
Remote Control
Lots
Based on what has been previously discussed, it is my opinion that adding an external amplifier would most probably be of the least benefit when you are driving only 2 channels of surround such as for vinyl. Having said that, I do not believe that all amplifiers sound alike nor do I believe that all DVR‘s sound alike however, there are other places where you can spend the same amount of money that would greatly change the sound of your system.

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Based on what has been previously discussed, it is my opinion that adding an external amplifier would most probably be of the least benefit when you are driving only 2 channels of surround such as for vinyl. Having said that, I do not believe that all amplifiers sound alike nor do I believe that all DVR‘s sound alike however, there are other places where you can spend the same amount of money that would greatly change the sound of your system.
My SVS Prime towers specs recommended amplifier power: 20-250 watts. If my receiver has 125 per CH does this mean I can benefit from an external amp with 150 or more? Or don't bother? This would be for HT not 2Ch vinyl.

Top Bottom