You’ve got the Power (cables)!

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Do you know if there is any kind of tool (hopefully inexpensive) that can measure interference? I am thinking of something that could tell me if Wi-Fi(would also be nice to know how bad my electricity is) is Interfering with with my audio cables, and also to see how much it affects my audio.

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Class D Audio: SDS-470CS
Additional Amp
Shellbrook Audio Hybrid Head headphone amp
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Other Speakers or Equipment
Grado SR 325is headphones
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Origin Live Aurora MKIII turntable
Do you know if there is any kind of tool (hopefully inexpensive) that can measure interference? I am thinking of something that could tell me if Wi-Fi(would also be nice to know how bad my electricity is) is Interfering with with my audio cables, and also to see how much it affects my audio.

Here's an interesting device that will actually audibly output any interference from your AC socket...
https://www.alphalabinc.com/product/plm/

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
Hi Greyson and Negatron,

That’s a neat little device that I was unaware of! Are you experiencing some kind of noise on your system?

It strictly 60hz hum or more of a “buzzing” or a “Hash” kind of noise? Steady state or fluctuating in level of sound character?

Most noise in your system is probably not coming in through the power line though. And the noise that is, is likely filtered completely by the PS of well designed equipment. Any device (like a Field Meter) to detect RF and the predominant band of RF in your area will be expensive.

More noise is likely entering your system through RF induction and that is not as easily detected and sometimes, not easily filtered or blocked.

If you are hearing noise other than 60hz hum let me know and I can send along some tips on getting rid of it that I learned the hard way :-)

Cheers!

Tom

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Hi Greyson and Negatron,

That’s a neat little device that I was unaware of! Are you experiencing some kind of noise on your system?

It strictly 60hz hum or more of a “buzzing” or a “Hash” kind of noise? Steady state or fluctuating in level of sound character?

Most noise in your system is probably not coming in through the power line though. And the noise that is, is likely filtered completely by the PS of well designed equipment. Any device (like a Field Meter) to detect RF and the predominant band of RF in your area will be expensive.

More noise is likely entering your system through RF induction and that is not as easily detected and sometimes, not easily filtered or blocked.

If you are hearing noise other than 60hz hum let me know and I can send along some tips on getting rid of it that I learned the hard way :-)

Cheers!

Tom

"And the noise that is, is likely filtered completely by the PS of well designed equipment."

I visited a high end dealer some years ago that sold VERY expensive audio equipment. He demonstrated to me a similar noise generating device and told me if I didn't buy an expensive power plant from PS Audio then that noise from the AC will end up clouding my audio system. I didn't really know how to comment back to him since I'm not an engineer and his reasoning did make sense somewhat. Does most noise from the power line really get filtered through the PS in a well designed amp/pre-amp so it doesn't affect the audio quality much if at all? Thanks!

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
Turn on your system and Listen, do you hear anything? That won't change anything once you play music or whatever.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Hi Greyson and Negatron,

Cheers!

Tom
Hi Tom, I just brought that up since I do not know what the AC quality is in Mexico. My last Home Theater was a fully treated room, and I was able to pick up sounds in Movies, and cds that was not heard before on other systems. I did have a Monster htps5000 that everything was plugged into, plus a dedicated line. Now I only have Furman power strips, UPS boxes, and we also have a Siemans whole house surge protector, with a pair of voltage regulators, and solar panels with no batteries. I do not know what affect the surge protector, and voltage regulators have (if any on the clear liners of power coming into our house).

Where I live now I have a lot of acoustic treating to do. Plus get my new speakers built before I will know if I have AC noise. I def want to check before I buy a nice power filter...as good ones are not cheap.

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
Hi Grayson,

I think the short answer to your question is yes, a properly designed power supply will filter noise from the incoming AC.

The idea behind power conditioners is somewhat different than the PS Audio Power Regenerator. Power conditioners isolate, filter and regulate to some degree but big voltage swings can not be compensated for normally. They are also supposed to provide protection from voltage surges like lightning strikes. But a power conditioner only passes the same AC given to it albeit through a transformer (sometimes) and filtered with circuitry designed to pass anything above 60 hz to ground. Effectiveness always depends on design implementation of course!

The PS Audio Power Regenerator literally changes the incoming AC to DC (nothing quieter than DC after All) and then converts it back to, according to the claims, a pure AC sine wave.

https://www.psaudio.com/perfectwave-p5-power-plant/

My only issue with this scheme is the cost and the possibility of current regulation restricting the potential of the amps.

If your dealer were confident enough to arrange a demo featuring the same amp with the PS Audio device and without to demonstrate the difference I would be much more willing to buy into his claim. Or loan you the unit for a trial perhaps.....?

It is my strong opinion that while power conditioning and certainly power surge protection may have a value... The power supplies in modern well designed equipment is well up to the task.

Where we run into noise issues in this world of ours is the RF saturated environment we live in and the ground loops we inject into our own systems.

If as Tony said you can’t hear any noise when you turn on your system to a unused (no signal) input then a power conditioner is unlikely to improve anything. If noise is clearly audible during moments of silence then it is time track down the noise maker.

If you have “inky black” backgrounds already or hear no noise unless you ear is buried in your speaker no power conditioner or power regenerator or $10,000 power cord is going to improve your sound or “lift any veils”!

That’s my two cents worth.

Tom

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
Hi Tom, I just brought that up since I do not know what the AC quality is in Mexico. My last Home Theater was a fully treated room, and I was able to pick up sounds in Movies, and cds that was not heard before on other systems. I did have a Monster htp5000 that everything was plugged into, plus a dedicated line. Now I only have Furman power strips, UPS boxes, and we also have a Siemans whole house surge protector, whithba pair of voltage regulators, and solar panels with no batteries. I do not know what affect the surge protextor, and voltage regulators have (if any on the clear liners of power coming into our house).

Where I live now I have a lot of acoustic treating to do. Plus get my new speakers built before I will know if I have AC noise. I def want to check before I buy a nice power filter...as good ones are not cheap.

Hi Negatron! I am unfamiliar with the power grid in Mexico. I once had the chance to visit San Miguel de Allende... lovely place!

I think your current setup provides sufficient protection against surges. It sounds like your electrical contractor went above and beyond on the surge protection regulation to compensate for known issues in your area.

One question.... how do the solar panels work without batteries? Normally since solar panels only output low voltage DC they are used to charge a battery bank that feeds an inverter that feeds back into the AC grid (probably the need for regulators). Normally that is... I’m not an expert on solar... just curious! ;-)

In your case I would just listen for noise issues when your set-up is complete and adjust from there. Depending on what you hear, or don’t hear, go forward from there.

Read the response I just sent Grayson as well on power conditioners vs. power regenerators as well somewhere above.

Cheers!

Tom

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Hi Grayson,

I think the short answer to your question is yes, a properly designed power supply will filter noise from the incoming AC.

The idea behind power conditioners is somewhat different than the PS Audio Power Regenerator. Power conditioners isolate, filter and regulate to some degree but big voltage swings can not be compensated for normally. They are also supposed to provide protection from voltage surges like lightning strikes. But a power conditioner only passes the same AC given to it albeit through a transformer (sometimes) and filtered with circuitry designed to pass anything above 60 hz to ground. Effectiveness always depends on design implementation of course!

The PS Audio Power Regenerator literally changes the incoming AC to DC (nothing quieter than DC after All) and then converts it back to, according to the claims, a pure AC sine wave.

https://www.psaudio.com/perfectwave-p5-power-plant/

My only issue with this scheme is the cost and the possibility of current regulation restricting the potential of the amps.

If your dealer were confident enough to arrange a demo featuring the same amp with the PS Audio device and without to demonstrate the difference I would be much more willing to buy into his claim. Or loan you the unit for a trial perhaps.....?

It is my strong opinion that while power conditioning and certainly power surge protection may have a value... The power supplies in modern well designed equipment is well up to the task.

Where we run into noise issues in this world of ours is the RF saturated environment we live in and the ground loops we inject into our own systems.

If as Tony said you can’t hear any noise when you turn on your system to a unused (no signal) input then a power conditioner is unlikely to improve anything. If noise is clearly audible during moments of silence then it is time track down the noise maker.

If you have “inky black” backgrounds already or hear no noise unless you ear is buried in your speaker no power conditioner or power regenerator or $10,000 power cord is going to improve your sound or “lift any veils”!

That’s my two cents worth.

Tom

Thanks for the explanation, Tom! When I put my ears up to my speakers and turn up the volume with nothing playing I can't hear anything...I'll just assume now that an expensive regenerator/ conditioner won't give me any benefits : )

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
Thanks for the explanation, Tom! When I put my ears up to my speakers and turn up the volume with nothing playing I can't hear anything...I'll just assume now that an expensive regenerator/ conditioner won't give me any benefits : )

Hi Grayson,
Yes, I would agree with that! The only thing I would recommend is some kind of good surge protection and I think you ‘got it made’!

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Hi Negatron! I am unfamiliar with the power grid in Mexico. I once had the chance to visit San Miguel de Allende... lovely place!

I think your current setup provides sufficient protection against surges. It sounds like your electrical contractor went above and beyond on the surge protection regulation to compensate for known issues in your area.

One question.... how do the solar panels work without batteries? Normally since solar panels only output low voltage DC they are used to charge a battery bank that feeds an inverter that feeds back into the AC grid (probably the need for regulators). Normally that is... I’m not an expert on solar... just curious! ;-)

In your case I would just listen for noise issues when your set-up is complete and adjust from there. Depending on what you hear, or don’t hear, go forward from there.

Read the response I just sent Grayson as well on power conditioners vs. power regenerators as well somewhere above.

Cheers!

Tom
We had our solar contractor install the voltage regulators, and surge protector. As far as the solar...what we are not using goes to the electrical company, and then it is credited to our electrical bill. I wanted to go battery, but it is just too expensive. We were able to get our whole solar setup I stalled including solar hot water for about $7k.

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
We had our solar contractor install the voltage regulators, and surge protector. As far as the solar...what we are not using goes to the electrical company, and then it is credited to our electrical bill. I wanted to go battery, but it is just too expensive. We were able to get our whole solar setup I stalled including solar hot water for about $7k.

Sounds like something I need to look into. I’ve always held off on solar because of the battery bank I thought I would have to install. I did a quick Google and find that the technology has indeed passed me by ;-/

Thanks for your insight and experiences into something I’m going to have to educate myself on!

Tom

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Sounds like something I need to look into. I’ve always held off on solar because of the battery bank I thought I would have to install. I did a quick Google and find that the technology has indeed passed me by ;-/

Thanks for your insight and experiences into something I’m going to have to educate myself on!

Tom
Def check and see if your local utility will credit you for excess energy generated.

billrobbo

Great write up. I can't imagine the amount of time you must have spent doing all this!

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
Great write up. I can't imagine the amount of time you must have spent doing all this!
Thanks Bill!
I’ve been told my idea of fun is a bit off :-) It was definitely interesting and enlightening!

Since I am “retired” I have blocks of time that I can devote to my perversions without interfering too much with my real life, in other words what my wife wants me to do :greengrin:.

Tom

billrobbo

Ah yes, I am a couple of years away from retirement myself. Everyone says "you won't know what to do with yourself"...
There are not enough hours in the day between trying to grow decent veggies, photography, cheese making and, of course, audio diversions. :)

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
Bill,

Sounds like you will be plenty busy! All fun things.... what sort of photography? Film or Digital? Do you specialize in something like animals or landscapes?

Have Fun!

T

billrobbo

I purchased an Olympus OM2n in 1984 and still use it occasionally. My current camera is an Olympus E30 with various lenses and I like the convenience of seeing immediately if you have captured what you were after. I guess I do a fair amount of landscapes but I also like macro photography, insects, plants, whatever catches my eye and of course, pets.

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
The Olympus OM2 is a fine camera! I had 2 of them back in the same time period when I was really into film.

I have since migrated to digital video and will stay there.

Have fun, youve got some great hobbies!

T

Top Bottom