Which is the most accurate distortion plot?

Tikkidy

Registered
Will the real slim shady distortion plot please stand up?

1711600513300.png

1711600578157.png
1711600679493.png

1711601489269.png

Can someone explain to me the reason for the differences? My cursory glance (non- mathematical/statistical trained brain) says it's related to noise polluting the measurement. But why?

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
What OS are you running? Checkboxes look huge.

The measurement noise floor is determined by the energy in the stimulus versus the background noise level. Longer sweeps and more repetitions increase the sweep energy, gaining about 3 dB for each doubling in either length or reps, but the energy is still spread out over the span of the sweep. Stepped sine puts all its energy into each stimulus step and excludes all noise outside the bins of the fundamental and harmonics, so gets very good signal to noise. It can be more prone to reflections though, probably worth putting the mic a lot closer to minimise their contribution.

You can overlay the results for individual harmonics on the Overlays Distortion graph, by the way.

Tikkidy

Registered
Hi John, thanks for your response.

Windows 11.
Sorry, I’m not certain I understand “checkboxes look huge”
Is it the Y axis of 20dB per major division?

I hear what you’re say about putting the mic closer. In practice I have to balance being able to get the mic close enough to minimise reflections, but not too close such that I overload the mic. As you know, if we’re trying to measure the distortion of low distortion drivers, we need to be careful that the microphone is used in a range where it’s own inherent distortion is lower than the Device Under Test.

The microphone in the test above is the Sonarworks Xref20 v4 (2015 version) whose maximum SPL is 128dB. This puts the microphone’s ideal range to under ~110dB if I’m trying to characterise an undocumented driver with -60dB H2 and -80dB H3.

I will need to substitute another mic before I move it closer eg. 20cm, and test at 2.83V.

For now, do you agree that the bottom graph the accurate representation?

Have a peaceful Easter!
PS.
Thank you for tip on the Overlays Distortion graph. I wasn’t even aware of this feature. Another donation coming...

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Sorry, I’m not certain I understand “checkboxes look huge”
These:
1711799242445.png

The stepped sine should be most accurate, but the dips look suspicious to me hence the comment about reflections. Might be worth doing a run with a higher PPO to see how localised those dips are.

Tikkidy

Registered
That workstation is a 4K screen running at 125% zoom and screen capture 800 pixels horizontal.

When it's rendered on a 1080 screen captured at 1024 pixels it looks like this. Not sure why, But let's overlook that for now.

Here's the 24ppo stepped sine:

1711803468517.png

Moving forward I will use log sine sweep for to look at frequency response and stepped sine for distortion.
Perhaps not 512K FFT though...it's the audio equivalent of watching paint dry:hush:.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Perhaps worth trying to track down and mitigate the main reflections, to clean up the fundamental and the harmonics.

Tikkidy

Registered
Ok I’m with you.

on a perhaps related noted, are the frequency response calibration files eg. Sound card, Microphone, used when calculating distortion?

Or just for the correction of the amplitude (SPL) response?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Cal files are used by the RTA, they are optional for sweep measurements:

If the Analysis Preference Apply cal files to distortion is selected the results will include corrections for the cal file responses (as is the case for the RTA distortion figures). Applying the cal files provides more accurate results in regions where the fundamental or harmonics are affected by interface roll-offs but boosts the noise floor in those regions. This should be borne in mind when viewing the results. If large cal file corrections are required make sure the Analysis Preference Limit cal data boost to 20 dB is not selected. Note that any subsequent changes to the cal files will NOT update the distortion results, they are generated from the cal files that were in use at the time the measurement was made.

Tikkidy

Registered
Just circling back to on this.

It turns out, most of the distortion I am measuring is in fact the microphone distortion....

Let me explain why:

The microphone in the test above is the Sonarworks Xref20 v4 (2015 version) whose maximum SPL is quoted by the manufacturer at 128dB. Although the manufacturer doesn't list how this max SPL is determined, it is possible that it is a 3% THD rating (TBC). To measure distortion correctly, we want to measure the speaker/transducer under test, NOT the microphone's own self-distortion.

Based on past findings, it appears that electret condenser microphones have a 2nd order distortion behaviour.
eg. 3% THD (-30dB) -> 1% THD (-40dB) -> -10dB
1% THD to 0.3% THD -> -10dB
0.3% THD to 0.1% THD -> 10dB

1712895147759.png

X-axis is SPL in dB; Y-axis is harmonics in "%", dots are experimentally measured values of THD in Panasonic WM-61.

Reference:

Another one:
1712895247351.png

Reference:
Production Partner.de iSEMcon EMX-7150 review from 06/2012 Issue

If short, if the microphone has maximum SPL rating of x dB, it's self distortion of 0.1% H2/H3 is 16-35dB lower than the maximum SPL.

Reference:

This puts the Sonarworks XRef20 (2015-2023 models) optimal operating range for distortion measurements to to well below the maximum SPL rating.

As you can see from my measurements, the microphone was observing to levels of up to 102dB when measuring the tweeter at 31.6cm. So the distortion measurement is NOT just of the driver, but includes that of the microphone. How much is the tweteer and how much is the microphone has not yet been determined. (TBC)

And finally, a quick and dirty way to check to see if you microphone is contributing to the distortion is if the H2 has the same shape as the fundamental.

Last edited:
Top Bottom