V5.20.14 early access build

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I do notice the width of the filter box changes when you select the dropdown which is a bit weird.
Are you referring to the ability to hide/show the controls? A click shows them, double click or right click hides them again. Or the Show all/Hide all buttons can be used.

I would suggest in the little EQ band preview, that the band frequency is considered to make easy visual of each EQ band, rather than centering each PEQ band in the middle of the box regardless of frequency.
If the buttons had to cover the 20 Hz to 20 kHz span the filter response would often be a very small part of the span, so I chose to provide a better view of the filter itself.

If I could suggest something for overall UI behaviour, something I really like in VituixCAD is the ability to hover the mouse cursor over any value input and use the mouse scroll wheel to adjust the value up or down. I find this behaviour much preferrable over the tiny little arrow buttons.
You can have bigger side by side buttons using the option in the controls, hit F1 after opening the filters panel to bring up the help.

dcibel

Are you referring to the ability to hide/show the controls? A click shows them, double click or right click hides them again. Or the Show all/Hide all buttons can be used.
Yes, the show/hide all button conveys what I'm getting at rather well. With "hide all", clicking on each frequency band will show it, also making the width of the band within the UI wider. I understand trying to save screen space, but the varying width is just a bit odd to me is all.

I also don't get the "double click" to hide, but right click works. Not that it matters much to me, but double click where?

Just personal opinions, but if it were me I'd probably ditch the whole show/hide operation altogether, and just show all at all times, Alternatively, show all and hide all is the only option, you get all or nothing. for "editing" vs "viewing"

You can have bigger side by side buttons using the option in the controls, hit F1 after opening the filters panel to bring up the help.
Yes, I do prefer the larger side by side buttons, but still would prefer the mouse scroll option even more, once you start using it, you'll see ;)

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Not that it matters much to me, but double click where?
In the column for the filter, but not on a field that uses double click itself.
if it were me I'd probably ditch the whole show/hide operation altogether, and just show all at all times
Just click Show all once, it will be remembered. For many folk screen space is a luxury so anything that saves it is welcome, YMMV.
Yes, I do prefer the larger side by side buttons, but still would prefer the mouse scroll option even more
It isn't too difficult, I'll add it for the next build.

dcibel

In the column for the filter, but not on a field that uses double click itself.
Just click Show all once, it will be remembered. For many folk screen space is a luxury so anything that saves it is welcome, YMMV.
It isn't too difficult, I'll add it for the next build.
Remember the setting will work for me :)

Many thanks for the mouse scroll wheel for value adjustment, myself and many others will appreciate it :)

ApolloXXVI

More  
Main Amp
Bel Canto REF 600M
DAC
Holo Audio May
Front Speakers
Focal Sopra No 3
Streaming Equipment
Grimm Audio MU1
John, congrats on the new early release, thank you. I personally like the new flat interface a lot. Closer to macOS, which I prefer.

One potential bug I noticed, is in the bottom waterfall graph of the EQ window, seems like the left-axis labels are not aligning to the left-axis grid... please see attached.

EQ - Waterfal.jpg

On second thought, this may be because of the 3D nature of the graph, the label of the left axis being aligned with the gridline at the outside edge of the 3D box, versus the gridline at the back of the box... so probably is not a bug.

Last edited:

ApolloXXVI

More  
Main Amp
Bel Canto REF 600M
DAC
Holo Audio May
Front Speakers
Focal Sopra No 3
Streaming Equipment
Grimm Audio MU1
Another potential bug I am wondering about regarding the consistency of the graphical representation of the same measurement under SPL and under Waterfall graphs.

In the attached SPL graph, one can see that the curve tops below 80dB in the 30-90Hz range.

However, the same curve shown in the Waterfall graph shows peaks above 80dB in the same frequency range. I wonder why?

On second thought again I think that while the peak at the back of the 3D box looks aligned with the 85dB label, the label is really 80dB... so probably parallax issue only...

Last edited:

Bernard

Another potential bug I am wondering about regarding the consistency of the graphical representation of the same measurement under SPL and under Waterfall graphs.

In the attached SPL graph, one can see that the curve tops below 80dB in the 40-80Hz range.

View attachment 56519

However, the same curve shown in the Waterfall graph shows peaks above 80dB in the same frequency range. I wonder why?

View attachment 56520
Maybe the answer is in the numbers...

2D SPL graph :
SPL : -20 dB -> 87 dB
frequencies : 2 Hz -> 48000 Hz

3D Waterfall graph :
SPL : 45 dB -> 105 dB
frequencies : 8 Hz -> 8170 Hz

Wirrunna

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD C725BEE
Front Speakers
Klipschorns
After saving a measurement and shutting down, on restarting REW the measurement's name is still in the file name to be opened field after clicking the Open icon, thereby preventing the selection of a file if you have navigated to a different folder (in my case saved EQ filter sets .req files). Ahhhhh, if you blank the file name it also saves the file type and won't let you select anything but All files and then it appends the .mdat file type resulting in selecting a file and getting a file not found message.
version REW_windows-x64_5_20_14ea3

John Mulcahy

REW Author
On second thought again I think that while the peak at the back of the 3D box looks aligned with the 85dB label, the label is really 80dB... so probably parallax issue only...
If you open the graph controls and select Perspective Settings there is a slice slider that lets you move the plot in the Z axis so the selected slice aligns with the X and Y axis scales.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
After saving a measurement and shutting down, on restarting REW the measurement's name is still in the file name to be opened field after clicking the Open icon, thereby preventing the selection of a file if you have navigated to a different folder (in my case saved EQ filter sets .req files). Ahhhhh, if you blank the file name it also saves the file type and won't let you select anything but All files and then it appends the .mdat file type resulting in selecting a file and getting a file not found message.
version REW_windows-x64_5_20_14ea3
The open icon is for opening measurement (mdat) files, hence the mdat filter. There is a separate File menu entry to open filter files, or use shortcut Ctrl+Alt+O.

thothsong

It's because the SPL labels are not correctly aligned with the horizontal grid lines. Just look at where the 45 label is. I see the same problem.

thothsong

After saving a measurement and shutting down, on restarting REW the measurement's name is still in the file name to be opened field after clicking the Open icon
I noticed this too, Open pre-populates to the last file used. I don't recall that being the case before, is it an intentional change?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
It's because the SPL labels are not correctly aligned with the horizontal grid lines. Just look at where the 45 label is. I see the same problem.
They are correctly aligned. The labels are for the front of the plot, a change of perspective may make that clearer.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I noticed this too, Open pre-populates to the last file used. I don't recall that being the case before, is it an intentional change?
It isn't a change, REW has always done that. File dialogs default to the last file used for that type.

thothsong

It isn't a change, REW has always done that. File dialogs default to the last file used for that type.
OK, what has changed is that the file list is now auto-scrolled to make that file visible, whereas it didn't used to. That alters interaction. After clicking Open, the lowest-sort-by-Name file used to be visible at the top of the list; clicking the Date modified header would make the oldest file visible at the top of the list, and clicking that header again would make the newest file visible at the top of the list. None of those are true any more if the last used file is somewhere in the middle of a long list. (My most common interaction used to be to click Open and then click Date modified twice, to see the most recent files.)

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I have made a further update following the suggestion from @dcibel. Values in spinners and drop down boxes can be changed by using the mouse wheel, whether the controls are visible or hidden. For fine adjustment hold the shift key while scrolling the mouse wheel. Also if the mouse is over a set of filter controls the response of the filter will be shown highlighted on the Filter adjust graph. The build links in the first post have been updated.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
OK, what has changed is that the file list is now auto-scrolled to make that file visible, whereas it didn't used to.
That has also been part of the code for a long time, but it probably didn't work before the LaF update. I can take it out if it is a nuisance.

thothsong

That has also been part of the code for a long time, but it probably didn't work before the LaF update. I can take it out if it is a nuisance.
Could you change it to just not persist the position when the sort order is changed?

dcibel

I have made a further update following the suggestion from @dcibel. Values in spinners and drop down boxes can be changed by using the mouse wheel, whether the controls are visible or hidden. For fine adjustment hold the shift key while scrolling the mouse wheel. Also if the mouse is over a set of filter controls the response of the filter will be shown highlighted on the Filter adjust graph. The build links in the first post have been updated.
Wonderful, I love it. Feel free to carry that change application wide :)

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Could you change it to just not persist the position when the sort order is changed?
That would run counter to normal file chooser behaviour, it would be more straightforward to simply not pre-populate the filename for open dialogs, but folk may have become used to the current behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom