Trace Arithmetic solution sought

bobkatz

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Main monitor controller: Cranesong Avocet (8 ch)
Main Amp
Atsah 500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo
Front Speakers
Dynaudio Evidence M5P
Center Channel Speaker
Lipinski L-707
Surround Speakers
Lipinski L-505
Subwoofers
JL Fathom F-112 (2)
Hi, John. I'm trying to show the DIFFERENCE in amplitude between using some traps and no traps in my room. I've tried all kinds of trace arithmetic and different displays (including V/V) to no avail. What I'd like to see is, for example, if with the trap at 100 Hz the amplitude is 78 dB SPL but without the trap the amplitude is 80 dB SPL, the resultant graph should show a 2 dB difference. If there isno difference the result should be 0 dB.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That's best done using A/B with magnitude-only responses. To generate magnitude-only responses select only the measurement that is to be converted to magnitude-only (no other measurements selected) and click Average the responses, that will generate a new trace whose name begins "Magn". Repeat that for the other measurement (again making sure it is the only measurement selected). Use A/B on the two magn results.

thothsong

Just to note, the result can look rather different if you smooth the Magn traces before computing A/B, versus computing A/B and then smoothing that.

sam_adams

Hi, John. I'm trying to show the DIFFERENCE in amplitude between using some traps and no traps in my room. I've tried all kinds of trace arithmetic and different displays (including V/V) to no avail. What I'd like to see is, for example, if with the trap at 100 Hz the amplitude is 78 dB SPL but without the trap the amplitude is 80 dB SPL, the resultant graph should show a 2 dB difference. If there isno difference the result should be 0 dB.

You might wan to take a look at this question I had for @John Mulcahy a while back. Seems to be the same thing that you are trying to accomplish.

bobkatz

More  
Main monitor controller: Cranesong Avocet (8 ch)
Main Amp
Atsah 500
Oppo
Front Speakers
Dynaudio Evidence M5P
Center Channel Speaker
Lipinski L-707
Surround Speakers
Lipinski L-505
Subwoofers
JL Fathom F-112 (2)
Thanks for that advice!

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Lol... The Cranesong Avocet might be the giveaway...

pklose

Could be a clue. But I checked other posts. Urls with pics and stuff lead to digido.com. Which is Bob‘s facility. Awesome! Bob‘s book on mastering was a source for my bachelor thesis - some 15 years ago.

TNT

Would be really nice to have that as a ready made "short cut" in that very menu.. the arithmetic one :)

//

TNT

Is it possible to do the same but for phase?

//

PS aiming for a mic calibration / compensation file... maybe there is a better way :-)

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Not sure what you mean by that, if you want a result with magnitude and phase use A/B.

TNT

Coming back to understanding the difference between two measurements.... would it be possible to have a function that makes a as complete diff report as possible by pointing to measure A and measure B and hit "Diff Rep"... as a graphics and perhaps text...

UC: Everything set up, make sweep, make one small change to DUT, new measurement - understand difference.... :-)

//

Top Bottom