GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
The JTR Speakers Captivator 118HT Subwoofer Giveaway Entry Thread
full?d=1495407784.png
AV NIRVANA is thrilled to partner with JTR Speakers for an exciting Giveaway Promotion Announcement! Over the next three months, AV NIRVANA members can enter to win one of the industry’s elite subwoofer models: JTR’s Captivator 118HT. There are ways for members to achieve more than one entry into this contest, so read on!

JTR Speakers is widely recognized for its audiophile grade speakers and subwoofers, all of which are handcrafted with high quality materials right here in the USA. The company has given us one of it’s Captivator 118HT subwoofers to review, and once the review is finished the sub will find its way into the home of one lucky AV NIRVANA member. This is an incredible opportunity to land truly impactful subwoofer performance in your home!

The Captivator 118HT is an elegant heavy hitter, weighing in at a whopping 129-pounds and standing nearly three feet tall (30” H x 20” W x 22.5” D). It utilizes a bass reflex design paired with a custom 18-inch driver and a DSP optimized 700 Watt amplifier for bone rattling performance capable of dipping below 17Hz in a typical room. Shunning standard MDF, the Captivator 118HT’s heavily braced cabinet is constructed with 18mm 13-ply Baltic Birch plywood. It also features a magnetically attached grill, and an amp plate with multiple controls (Gain, LF Adjust, Crossover, Delay), a 12 volt trigger, RCA and XLR connections, and an On/Auto/Off power selector.

Click here for more information about JTR Speakers and the Captivator 118HT sub.

How to Enter
  1. You must be a registered member on AV NIRVANA (click here to register)
  2. Respond below and tell us what appeals to you about the JTR Speakers Captivator 118HT. Please include details and information about your current system and how the the 118HT will be integrated. Be specific!

Boost Your Entries

We’re offering members a simple way to gain more entries in the contest, automatically! Members with at least 100 posts on the forum by August 21, 2017 will gain TWO entries in the contest, and members with 1,000 posts will receive THREE automatic entries to win! This will be be an ongoing bonus that can be applied to all future Giveaway Promotions (for example, once a member reaches 100 posts on the forum, they will always receive an extra entry in all future contests). As the forum grows, we'll likely continue to expand this benefit, so stick around! It’s our way for saying “thank you” to members who are active in the community.

Contest Rules
The contest is for one JTR Speakers Captivator 118HT subwoofer (like-new review sample, value is $1599). The contest runs from 5/21/2017 until 11:59PM EST on 8/21/2017. Entrants must be a registered member of avnirvana.com. A winner will be drawn at random and announced during the week of 8/21/2017. The winner must reside in the Continental United States (Lower 48) to qualify for free ground shipping. Any winner living outside of the United States must arrange and pay for shipping via a US Forwarding Service (AV NIRVANA will provide shipping to a Continental US-based Forwarding Service, the winner is responsible for all taxes, fees, and shipping charges there after). Winners living outside of the United States will have 4 weeks to make Forwarding Service arrangements. Winner must claim giveaway item within 10 days of announcement, therefore you will need to keep watch this thread to insure you are notified. If unclaimed after 10 days, a new winner will be drawn. Rules are subject to change without notice.

Ready to Enter? Respond below!
If you'd like to discuss this contest, please click here.

Thanks to all of our members for being part of our AV NIRVANA community! Good luck!

NOTICE: THIS IS THE QUALIFICATION THREAD ONLY - PLEASE GO HERE FOR DISCUSSION - THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:

Filtor1

The output potential and esthetics are what attracts me to these. I think they look fantastic.

I have been a stay at home dad of 3 boys for 6 years. I started a project 3 years ago to take a swing at building a subwoofer or 4 and JTR was my motivation. Fast forward to today and there just hasn't been enough hours in the day to complete the project. That project remains in some random state of completion.

My mains are an iteration of a few different companies. SEOS12/DNA360's mated to AE TD12M midwoofers. The square port design that JTR uses is mirrored in my mains. My rears are Boston Acoustic CR85's. A 12 year old single 15" Dayton Titanic kit from Parts Express handle from 80hz down to around 30hz where it naturally rolls off in my room.

The 118HT would have a huge impact on output potential as well as dig much deeper illuminating content that is currently unavailable due to my current equipment. My room is an open "great room" and is tough to fill. The added output would be a welcome solution to that as well.

Thank you for this opportunity.

DaveK

I am the proud owner of JTR 210's for my L/C/R speakers. They offer ridiculous output, dynamics, and clarity. JTR speakers and subwoofers are top-notch and the 118HT is no exception. I expect the review to be very favorable, as it gets you into exceptional JTR performance at a reasonable price point. I would also like to point out that the company (made in the USA) is first class, and that I have read countless stories of Jeff going to great lengths to stand behind his products.

I am an active participating member in other forums, and excited to see what AV NIRVANA is all about. It's nice to see you partnering with Jeff to help out someone in the AV community. Thank you!

Reefdvr27

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Dennon X720WA
Main Amp
DSonic
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA3
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103D and 103
Front Speakers
JTR 215RT's >Salk HT2-TL
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 215RM>Salk Soundscape 7c
Surround Speakers
JTR Single 8 HT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Single 8 HT
Subwoofers
JTR 4000ULF>PSA Triax's X2
Video Display Device
Pannasonic 8000
Screen
Carada
18", 700 watts and dips below 17hz!! That appeals to me. The Captivator has been a very hard hitting subs for many years and those that have owned or heard them know that they one of the best subs on the market. Would love to pair it with my L,C,R JTR speakers.

ShpongleDMT

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR 1913
Sony PS4
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 65
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology 8060HD
Surround Speakers
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000
Subwoofers
SVS PB12-NSD
Video Display Device
Samsung Plasma
In room response to 17hz.... (expletive!) I have been hearing the name JTR Captivator for a good bit now. and it's always associated with immense output. My current set up is as follows

Left/Right: Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65
Center: Definitive Technology CS-8060HD
Rear L/R: Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000
Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD
AVR: Denon 1913

If I won the 118HT it would replace my SVS PB12-NSD. I love my SVS sub but this JTR sub would be a serious upgrade. I might just have to get a second one! I can already imagine the sheer force and pressurization of my room when watching bass heavy movies like War of the Worlds (Tripod emergence scene). I believe it's absolutely critical to have a proper subwoofer in your home theater. Having that visceral impact is vital to becoming immersed in the story. This 118HT would accomplish this with out even trying.

edgeh2o

Registered
More  
Onkyo TX-SR707
Front Speakers
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
Center Channel Speaker
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
Video Display Device
Panasonic 60ST60
The 118HT appeals to me because of its value and ability to compete with much higher costing subs. It's most likely overkill for my media room, but that's a great thing. Having all that headroom would keep distortion minimal and pretty much guarantee that clipping would never be a factor. My current setup consists of 3xAscend Acoustics Sierra-1 speakers, and an Onkyo TX-SR707. The sub would be integrated using REW and my UMIK-1. Cheers.

Oogie

Registered
More  
Onkyo705
Main Amp
Emotive XPA5, UPA200
Front Speakers
JTR 228HT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 228HT
Surround Speakers
AV123 RS850
Surround Back Speakers
AV123 525M
Subwoofers
Turbo AV132 MFW15, 2 x Epk Empires
Video Display Device
Sharp 80"
I just updated my front 3 speakers with JTR 228HT at the start of this year. After having long followed JTR across forums and their own site, I had great anticipate and high hopes for the JTR upgrade. The quality and endless dynamics have not disappointed.

The 118HT is appealing as both an upgrade and opportunity to bring greater alignment in my system. I currently am running 2 Epik Empires and 1 MFW15 Turbo for subs, and have done my best to integrate the variety of subs across manufacturers and capabilities. Adding the 118HT would really be a step towards tighter integration and realized imporvements on the weakest link of the chain in the system.

sigma722

Registered
Everything I've heard from JTR has been magnificent. Having a bit of that in my future theater would just be awesome. My current system is wonderful including two full marty subs and diysg 1099s, so I think having a 118 could really bring it to another level.

Jon Liu

More  
Marantz AV8801
Main Amp
D-Sonic M2500
Additional Amp
Ferrum Audio OOR
Other Amp
Ferrum Audio HYPSOS
DAC
Ferrum Audio ERCO
Oppo Digital UDP-203 / Panasonic UB820
Front Speakers
GR Research Rosewood LS9
Center Channel Speaker
GR Research X-Voce
Surround Speakers
GR Research AV1-R/S
Surround Back Speakers
GR Research AV1-R/S
Front Height Speakers
Hifiman Susvara Headphones
Panamax M5500-EX
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C6P Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Screen
LG OLED65G1
Remote Control
Harmony Elite
Streaming Equipment
27" iMac
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal, Apple Music
JTR has been on my radar for a while. Their no-nonsense, utilitarian approach makes it harder for the WAF aspect, so if I were to win this, who can't say no to free stuff?! (Including my wife :)) I'd absolutely have to find a spot to put this badboy to add to the lowest end of the sound spectrum.

My current speakers include GR-Research all around, LS9 mains, X-Voce center, AV-1RS x4 surrounds.

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro, D-Sonic M2500 amp, Oppo UDP-203 disc transport.

1_sufferin_mind

Supporter
More  
Emotiva XMC-2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
McCormack DNA-1 Custom Monoblocks (On Standby)
Other Amp
Woo Audio WA6se w/ Audeze LCD-2
Oppo BDP-95
Front Speakers
Revel Ultima Salon
Center Channel Speaker
Revel Voice
Surround Speakers
PSB Image B5
Subwoofers
Seaton Sound Submersive F2+/- pair
Cary SLP98P / VPI SuperScout with JMW9 & Hana MH
Video Display Device
LG 65" OLED 65CX
Screen
TBD
Streaming Subscriptions
JVC X70R Proj ; PS Audio PWD w/ Streaming Bridge
First, I would like to express my appreciation for this exciting giveaway, and thank AV NIRVANA/JTR for their corroboration and generosity!

As I contemplated how to start my entry, I weighed the 118HT's features vs performance and decided that neither category qualified as most important. Instead, I'd like to focus on JTR's confidence in their product. They know what their design is capable of. But more importantly, they know how long it will last. Wave a 5-year warranty flag in my direction, and I'll take notice! Reading about the attention to detail that went into materials, construction, and finish has me anticipating delivery before a trigger's even been pulled!

Though the JTR Captivator 118HT's sheer size would be a bit daunting for my smallish room, I have no doubt it would surpass the admirable performance of the other powerhouse subs which have passed through its doors - an SVS PB13U, and a PSA XV15. If I were so fortunate as to win this contest, I would first try it in the location that works for my current sub. Only a single Captivator 118HT would fit in this room - unless they were stacked upon one another - so it's location would be paramount to successful integration. For a sub of this stature, I would be willing to gut the room and start over in order to do it right.

The JTR Captivator 118HT was designed with great attention to detail, and deserves nothing less for proper integration. After finding (realistically, I should say "compromising") the best location in the room using REW with suitable measuring equipment and knowledge of the room's problem modes, I would proceed to applying acoustic treatments. Granted my traps don't reach deep enough to significantly affect deep bass, but my measurements show they do affect upper bass to lower midrange (approx. 100Hz to 400Hz). They do seem to make a difference to these ears as far as tightening up the lower registers. In any case, the last stage of sub integration would involve running low frequency sweeps while adjusting the sub's phase control to get good SPL support through the crossover region.

So after all the upheaval, compromise, and hard work, it would be time to plant myself in the sweet spot and prepare to be simultaneously bowled over and serenaded!

EDIT:
My system is built around a unified front stage of Revel Ultima series speakers (Salon mains and Voice center), Emotiva processing and amplification, and an Oppo player. Please click on "My System" for details.

Last edited:

phillip

More  
Marantz NR1509
Front Speakers
Energy RC-50
Center Channel Speaker
Energy RC-LCR
Subwoofers
HSU ULS-15mk2
Video Display Device
Vizio PX75-G1
I like how capable it is. Deep extension for a ported sub along with prodigious clean output. The cost is also more reasonable than others - if I win this one, I should be able to convince my wife about buying another in a couple years :)

I haven't updated my system in quite some time - Energy RC-50 mains, RC-LCR center, and CB-5 surrounds. Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX sub. I do like movies and music with a lot of bass so I'd love to have the JTR in the system.

Manic1

More  
Marantz 7702 MKII
Main Amp
Audiocontrol Pangea3
Additional Amp
Audiocontrol Savoy
Oppo 203 uhd, Panasonic 900
Front Speakers
1099's
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Von Schweikert TS350
Surround Back Speakers
VOLT 8
Front Height Speakers
AT DA-44
Rear Height Speakers
At DA-44
Subwoofers
PSA XS15se's-2
Video Display Device
Samsung KS-8000, Panny 4000u
Screen
Elite 100" Acousticpro
Remote Control
Harmony
Streaming Subscriptions
Orbit Turntable, Dish Hopper 3 dvr,
I just did get a set of DIY speakers, the Elusive 1099's and Volt 8's for surrounds duties. I have had standard silk dome tweeters and standard woofers all my life. The 1099's have a compression driver and 10"woofers the dynamics are awesome! I would think this sub would mix very well with these speakers. Currently have 2 PSA XS15SE'S pulling sub duties but think I need more woof age in this 1650x3 room. Besides my sister need an operation and my mother has health issues.

Tonto

More  
Yamaha RXV-795a
X-Box 1s
Front Speakers
Chane A5rx-c's
Center Channel Speaker
Chane A2rx-c
Surround Speakers
A1rx-c's
Surround Back Speakers
A1rx-c's
Subwoofers
SVS PB13U
APC S15
Video Display Device
Samsung Smart TV
Streaming Subscriptions
Yamaha S796 DVD Player
I've been following JTR speakers for a long time. Great products & truly great subs. I would use this in my HT w/o a doubt! Drooling already at the thought of the bone crushing bass. I wonder how it would integrate with the sub I have now. I guess there is only one way to find out! Good luck to everyone...someone is in for a treat!

Chazman

Registered
Wow! What an opportunity. I've been researching subs for a year now and the JTR name keeps popping up in many audiophile forums. Just too far out of my price range but now........
My entire system ($10,000) and music collection 1000 cds and albums was stolen 10 years ago. I gave up on my audio addiction/passion until a year ago. My wife found some definitive technology bp2000's and bp10's sitting in a Salvation Army. She called me and said "they have your old speakers here" yea right, she sent a pick and I was there in an hour. I got All 4 of them for $300.00.!! My audio addiction has been fired back up. I've added a Marantz sr6010 and Emotiva xpa-5, deftech clr2002. Then I have my pioneer Andrew jones sub in the corner trying to be heard :(
I'm so not happy with the performance with the built in subs on the bp2000's and have been told by many my primary investment should be a sub. I just don't have the money. How great would it be to win this hi-end, American made JTR sub. Honestly, I've never won anything.
I look forward to being a member on this forum, I've been passionate about audio equipment and music for over 35 years. I hope I have something to offer!

iskandam

Registered
More  
Anthem D2V
Main Amp
D-Sonic
Dune HD
Front Speakers
Klipsch RF-7II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RC-64II
Surround Speakers
Klipsch RS-62II
Subwoofers
Epik Empire
Video Display Device
65" Panasonic Viera VT50
Thank you for the opportunity to enter in this giveaway. What appeals to me about the JTR Captivator 118HT is the combination of massive output, headroom, and extension.

I have Klipsch RF-7II, RC-64II, RS-62II, and an Epik Empire subwoofer. Front end consists of D-Sonic class D amp and Anthem D2v pre-pro. While the Epik is a capable sub, I like to listen loud and there have been several occasions where it's struggled during serious bass scenes. Based on the specs and all the reviews, the Captivator 118HT may just be what the doctor ordered :bigsmile:

Umar Naseer

Registered
More  
Marantz AV-7702
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 203
Front Speakers
JBL 3677
Center Channel Speaker
JBL 3677
Surround Speakers
Polk RC85i
Surround Back Speakers
Polk RC85i
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 1400
Video Display Device
Epson 5040ub
Screen
Jamestown 150" AT screen
I'm a proud owner of a JTR Captivator 1400. I am helping a friend build his home theater. We are both former U.S. Marines, and I can think of no better subwoofer for his setup. If I win the JTR 118HT, I will gift it to my fellow veteran.

thebuckaman

Registered
I have been through dozens of subwoofers throughout my home theater hobby. SVS, HSU, Outlaw, Soundsplinter, JTR, Danley, and Stereo Integrity to name a few. One of my favorites was the JTR Captivator Pro with its high output and excellent low end from a somewhat compact enclosure. My living room system could use a boost in the lowend department, and a JTR 118ht would be a perfect fit!

thedudexxi

More  
Sony 1040
Sony PS4
Front Speakers
Elusive 1099
Center Channel Speaker
Elusive 1099
Surround Speakers
Pioneer Andrew Jones bookshelf
Surround Back Speakers
Pioneer Andrew Jones bookshelf
Subwoofers
JTR Cap-4000LFE
Video Display Device
Sony HW40ES
Screen
Silver Ticket
I have a JTR 4000 in my basement, paired with 1099s for my front soundstage. I love the thing. When Jeff demoed the sub for me, we knocked pictures off the wall 2 stories up in my house. It is intense.

I'm interested in the 118HT because I'm building a music listening room upstairs. I'm currently shopping around for a couple mains. I'm working with some small Klipsch R-15PM's right now. But, I'm interested in upgrading those.. Probably not today, probably not tomorrow - but in the next year or two. I'd love to pair the sub with new mains.. I think I'd be pretty set for awhile..

Jeff S

I am in the process of rebuilding my A/V system from the ground up. My current equipment has been relegated to my home office as it is all 15-20 years old. I think the JTR Captivator 118HT subwoofer would be an excellent starting point for the audio side. I am coming from a Yamaha RXV receiver, Klipsch bookshelf size front speakers and sub-woofer, and currently no rear or effects speakers.
I recently purchased a new Samsung Uk55KU6500 4k television which regenerated my interest in properly configuring a true 7.1 A/V system. I guess after I left the A/V business and went into IT, my interests shifted for a while and I was satisfied with "good enough". While my old system certainly sounds great, it is no longer technologically relevant. I have no network connectivity, no HDMI switching, no new sound formats, etc. With winning an excellent sub like this, I wold have a great base to start assembling my new equipment. Therefore, I respectfully request that you pick me.
All kidding aside, good luck to everyone for this great give-away!! Thank you AV NIRVANA for giving us all a chance.

Mluc8

More  
Marantz SR6005
Main Amp
Outlaw 7200
Additional Amp
Dayton Audio HPSA 1000-R
Samsung Blu-ray
Front Speakers
SVS Ultra Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Ultra Center
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Surround Back Speakers
Canton GL-300F
Subwoofers
Hsu VTF-15H MK 2
Infinite Baffle with 4 Acoustic Elegance IB-15's
Video Display Device
Panasonic 50" Plasma TV
Why do I want to win the JTR Captivator 118HT? Well the first reason is because it would sound absolutely incredible with my system! The bottom end for music and for LFE from 700 watts driving an 18" woofer would have to be incredible.
My SVS Ultra Towers are really strong in the bass but the JTR would be a whole other world!
Thanks to AV NIRVANA and JTR for the opportunity!

tebling

Registered
More  
Denon X4300H
Front Speakers
Event 20/20 passive
Center Channel Speaker
Focal Chorus CC800V
Surround Speakers
Axiom Audio QS8
Subwoofers
AV123 MFW-15
Video Display Device
Pioneer Kuro Plasma PDP-5010FD
Remote Control
Harmony Elite
My current sub is an AV123 MFW-15 with Turbo Kit, which does rock... BUT I suspect the 118HT would perform on a whole different level. Also, I plan to soon upgrade my LCR to JTR 228HTRs and would love to keep the entire front stage part of the same family! Thanks for organizing this giveaway!

MikeyBren

More  
Front Speakers
Axiom M60
Center Channel Speaker
Axiom VP150
My current set up is Axiom M60s, VP150, and QS8s paired with an older (2003) SVS 20-39PC that has seen better days. I've read great thing about JTR and am interested in reading the 118HT review being done. I'm currently in the market for a subwoofers and the 118HT is on my short list to replace the SVS. I'm sure the 118HT would be a huge improvement over the SVS and provide bass nirvana in my humble home theater set up. Plus, I love that it is made in the U.S.A.!

Thank you AV NIRVANA and JTR Speakers for this giveaway opportunity!

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
The 118HT looks like a beast and based on the specs I am sure it is. I love that it has an 18 inch driver and a massive built weighing 129lbs. I could try to integrate it with my two KK 12012 DXD. The DXD does a great job considering I have a large room open to other rooms but more is better. I can always place the 118HT in a different room on it's own and start fresh there:)

dengland

The 118HT would make a great replacement of the of the 15" bargain brand that I am using now in my smallish HT. That is probably not the best home for it. I have been toying with a home addition for a dedicated HT room for a couple of years. So far, I have not been able to convince myself to pull the trigger. The 118HT would be a great motivator to get that project started correctly. Thanks for the opportunity. Good Luck all!

joker927

Registered
I just built my first DIY subwoofer and recognized the sweet value it gave. JTR seems like the rare company that understands both the ROI of DIY and the want for a excellany product wrapped and shipped to your door. My sub hits down to 30hz. Which is nice but I would like something that can extend that lower end and my 4500 ft^3 room needs more SPL in the lower octaves, period.

My other AV equipment is a Samsung pn60f8500 and the AJ pioneer towers + bookshelves.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom