Video Display Device
Samsung 65"
Screen
Elite Screens 100”
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony Ultimate One
Streaming Subscriptions
Roku Ultra
I first heard of JTR on the forums and looked into them a bit. I'm a big fan of utility - though WAF is important, I find that having the performance first shows what a company is about. In a time where it's easy to say, "it's heavily braced MDF", it definitely stands out to go the less treaded route and use huge slabs of birch ply, even though they will be covered by paint. This speaks quality to me, and while MDF has its pros, weight ain't one of them in my book.

I have dual Chane SBE-118s powered by a Dayton SA1000, and while they are heavy hitters, they can struggle to pressurize my large open basement. The Captivator would be for nearfield - right behind the couch - and would hopefully even out a couple nulls in the room.

Kudos to JTR and AV NIRVANA for an awesome giveaway! You started this forum with guns ablaze!

wingsounds13

Registered
Just starting to build a HT system. Basic two year old Samsung Blu-ray player and a brand new Samsung 4K TV are the primary items. Frontier (nee Verizon) FiOS is the most used source.

This monster sub would make a fantastic foundation to whatever multichannel system that I could add. Currently using my old stereo system for audio.

J.P.

OJ Bartley

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon AVR-E400
Additional Amp
Behringer iNuke 6000
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo BDP-83
Front Speakers
Paradigm Monitor 7
Center Channel Speaker
Paradigm CC-370
Surround Speakers
Paradigm Mini Monitor
Surround Back Speakers
Custom DIY Dipolar
Rear Height Speakers
(2x) DIY Mach Five UXL-18 (sealed, 3.3 net c.f.)
Subwoofers
DIY Adire Tempest Subwoofer (210L, 19Hz tune)
Other Speakers or Equipment
MiniDSP Balanced 2x4
Video Display Device
Panasonic V10 58" plasma display
Streaming Subscriptions
(2x) Buttkicker LFE and BKA1000-N amplifier
Um... yes please!

The JTR Captivator is one of the most respected (and feared! lol) names in subwoofers these days, and I would add this to any system without hesitation. Simple and functional, but professional quality appearance, no nonsense earth shattering performance... it's a win/win in my book.

This would be put into our living room, either replacing or complimenting the current 15" Tempest, and would allow us to move the little SDX-10 to a different setup. It would add a new dimension to movies in that room, without a doubt.

Spidacat

More  
Denon AVRX4300H
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA 5
Oppo 203
Front Speakers
Revel F206
Center Channel Speaker
Revel C208
Surround Speakers
Revel M16
Front Height Speakers
Volt 6
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6
Subwoofers
PSA TV2112-M x 2
HeZe platform with 2 JBL GX1200, Behringer NX3000
Video Display Device
Vizio M70-C3
Remote Control
Harmony 650
When I was getting "back" into home theater a few years ago I thought my existing sub was sufficient. After reading a bunch of info online I found out that there were much better products available. Since then I've caught a little of the upgradeitis bug. JTR was a company that interested me, but many of their products seem to fit better in a dedicated theater as opposed to my living room. However, my better half lets me do what I want and doesn't mind large black boxes as long as they don't totally dominate the room. I have two very nice 15" subs (PSA XV15SE + V1500), but an 18" beast from JTR would up the ante and maybe allow for some true room pressurization! I recently got a new Denon receiver, plus took the plunge on 4k (Oppo 203) and Atmos. My TV doesn't do HDR, but my next one surely will! All my speakers are DefTech's from about 20? years ago (except for the Atmos height speakers). JTR is company that has never shied away from independent testing so I know how well they are built and how they'll perform. As much effort they took in building and bracing this sub, I know it could be a cornerstone for my system for years to come.

Eric SVL

More  
Denon AVR-X4500H
Main Amp
Hypex NCore NC252MP
Computer Audio
iLoud MTM
DAC
Micca OriGen G2
Sony PS3, PS4
Front Speakers
Buchardt S400
Surround Speakers
Polk LSiM 702
Front Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Subwoofers
Rythmik
ELAC Debut Reference DFR52
Screen
Samsung PN64H5000
Streaming Equipment
Google Chromecast
Streaming Subscriptions
GIK Tri-Traps
I am moving into a house with much greater cubic feet of air space and could use an upgrade from my 12" Rythmik sealed subs. I would use my existing Denon X4000 with Audyssey XT32 to finish off the work I started with REW to eliminate peaks and nulls and give the JTR Captivator its best chance to shine in my home theater.

JBrax

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
More  
Marantz sr7010
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung K8500
Front Speakers
Klipsch rf-7 II
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch rc-64 II
Surround Speakers
Klipsch rs-42 II
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch rb-51 II
Subwoofers
SVS PB12-NSD (X2)
Panamax M5300
Video Display Device
Sony Bravia XBR65-930D
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony One
Streaming Subscriptions
PS4
I suppose I'll throw my hat in the ring for this monster. If I won I'd probably get rid of my SVS twins and just buy the matching JTR for a dual setup. I'm completely happy with the PB-12's but I'd imagine the JTR's would take it to another level. I've never heard JTR's subs but I have heard their speakers and they are impressive! If I ever got rid of my rf-7's it would most likely be JTR's I'd go with.

Gabor Kiss

Registered
More  
Audison bitTen DSP, in car electronics
Hello,

Unfortunately I have "only" a hi range in-car audio system yet, nevertheless due to my marriage now I'm planning to develop a brand new home audiofil system and this element could be a fantastic base to build around!

GFOviedo

I've always hear JTR Speaker / Subs high quality and excellent sound. So, one day I ended up going to their website only to find out that I can't afford it. My current Power Sound Audio XV-15 was a gift to me from my family. They all pitched in some cash.

My current setup:
Denon X4200
Emotive LPA-1
Chane A5rx-c front left/right
Chane A2rx-c center
Power Sound Audio XV15 subwoofer

Why am I entering in this giveaway? In all honesty I would love to own the JTR subwoofer. It is a well built sounding MONSTER! However, I do not need it, but my father does. He's had his HT for over 16 years. He hasn't updated anything from it simply because he can't afford it. He uses the heck out of it, and it doesn't bother him that his Onkyo receiver doesn't have HDMI hookups. He's current subwoofer is a 16 year old Velodyne 10" subwoofer. He's living room is huge. So you know his little subwoofer just cannot fill the room with any bass. Therefore, I know this JTR subwoofer would be an enormous upgrade for my dad.

Best of luck everyone!

siddforuall

Registered
More  
Main Amp
emotiva XPA 5 Gen1
Additional Amp
Rotel 98s MKII
Other Amp
Inuke 6000/3000
Oppo 105
Front Speakers
Elusive 1099
Center Channel Speaker
Elusive 1099
Surround Speakers
Volt 10's
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10's
Subwoofers
2*Marty Cubes / TUBA HT / 2 sealed PA460's
I have always loved JTR Captivator Subs. But being limited on budget I went with DIY subs. I finished them and now feel my DIY's lag some serious MID Bass. Even though 118HT tuned to 17hz I am sure it can fill up my missing MID Bass.

Gotta Have That Mid Basss!!!! :)

JImmy Bobarino

Registered
More  
RX-V3300
Xbox one
Front Speakers
JBL 590
Center Channel Speaker
JBL 520c
Surround Speakers
JBL N24
Front Height Speakers
JBL N24
Subwoofers
SUB -1200
This is a very generous giveaway and I would be honored to be entered.

My current setup consist of JBL 590's being powered by what would now be considered a vintage Yamaha RX-V3300. Although this setup is used for movies and music, I would say music is the main focus. This makes selecting a subwoofer a difficult task as it needs to be able to keep up with the 590's and be very musical at the same time, not to mention it will need to fill a very large room. It seems the captivator might just fit bill.

leecreek

More  
Yamaha 2030 HT, Yamaha 2092 Stereo
Additional Amp
Crown XLS 1502
Other Amp
Onyko 50 watt in shop
Front Speakers
Airmotive T2's
Center Channel Speaker
Chane A2.4
Surround Speakers
NHT Super 2's
Front Height Speakers
Polk LS/FX
Subwoofers
12'Cerwin Vega, BIC Formula12
NHT Super Ones, Heath AS-1373, 10" Yamaha AS ?
Video Display Device
Samsung Plasma
Screen
51"
Remote Control
Too many
Streaming Subscriptions
ART EQ355, BSR EQ-110X, Sony CFD-S50, Technics tt
It would be really cool to put the JTR in my pathetic, old system. My best sub at the moment is a 25 year old Cerwin Vega that i had to replace the amp in 2 years ago. Newest sub is the Bic and I will not bash it on here. I have it connected to a less used 2 channel system run with no effects. And its July now and I am still waiting on the new Chane's to make a appearance.

Thanks

Jack1949

VIP Supporter
More  
Yamaha RX-A3040
Additional Amp
KING 5-CHerry Amp - Digital Amplifier Co.
Oppo BDP-103D
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT55i
Rear Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT35i
Subwoofers
Dual JTR 118HT
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
Samsung UN60H6350
I've been considering upgrading my current sub (SVS SB13 Ultra) because it leaves a bit to be desired in my 4300+ cu ft room, so I've been following many forums reading owners comments and also results from various GTGs. In my search, JTR subs are always rated very well, which has peeked my interest. I've been considering either a pair of Cap 118HTs or the Cap 1400s. Winning a Cap 118HT would solidify my choice! Thanks for the opportunity to win one!!!

Jack
L/R Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL tweeter
CC Ascend Acoustics Horizon with RAAL tweeter
Surrounds Polk Audio RT2000p
SVS SB13 Ultra
Yamaha RX-A3040
Oppo BD103D

bscool

Registered
I own subwoofers from a few different manufacturers(PSA XS30, Seaton Submersive, 2 Um-18 8cf sealed, Outlaw Ultra x 12, Kappa Pro 18LF, BFM Tuba 60 horn, B&C 18TBW100 6cf 41hz, 34hz, 28hz tune, JL 13w7) but I do not have anything from JTR. I have been curious to try one of their subwoofers and the JTR215R are up there on my want list also.

I would try the JTR Captivator 118HT nearfield directly behind my MPL. I have sealed UM18 there right now and really like the impact it adds.

madtapper

Registered
Would love to own this ported beast! Looking to change up my current setup from sealed anyway. Running dual HST18 at the moment, powered by an inuke6000dsp, but even with EQ cannot seem to get satisfying mid-bass for music. The LFE is great for movies, however, I'm starting to doubt the need for 10hz. Looking for a sub that is more efficient and gives me some tactile response through the mid-bass. Thanks AV NIRVANA!

Just wanted to add that I'm running 1099s for LRC and some small kef surrounds all powered by a marantz sr5005. My room is 1050 cubes and I enjoy a movie/music mix of about 80/20 respectively.

Good luck peoples.

Last edited:

Bean

Registered
I think the Captivator 118HT would be a killer combo with my Paradigm Monitor speakers, which really need something in the 20-50Hz range! (Monitor 9's, NAD C 275BEE amp)... or maybe the JTR Noesis 2TX would be a good upgrade?

Ryan Booton

Registered
I'm running without a sub and need one to go with my Music Hall amp and NHT Classic 3 speakers. The 18 inch woofer would be great since my stereo is in a large "great" room that contains my dining area and kitchen, and it may take this size of a sub to fill the area with decent sounding bass. The 118HT would work perfect. Thanks for offering such a great giveaway!

Rutter

Registered
More  
Onkyo TXNR-1009
Main Amp
Cinepro 3K6
PS4
Front Speakers
Paradigm 11se mk3
Center Channel Speaker
Paradigm reference cc
Surround Speakers
Paradigm 3se mk3
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 1400
The JTR Speakers Captivator 118HT Subwoofer Giveaway Entry Thread
full?d=1495407784.png
AV NIRVANA is thrilled to partner with JTR Speakers for an exciting Giveaway Promotion Announcement! Over the next three months, AV NIRVANA members can enter to win one of the industry’s elite subwoofer models: JTR’s Captivator 118HT. There are ways for members to achieve more than one entry into this contest, so read on!

JTR Speakers is widely recognized for its audiophile grade speakers and subwoofers, all of which are handcrafted with high quality materials right here in the USA. The company has given us one of it’s Captivator 118HT subwoofers to review, and once the review is finished the sub will find its way into the home of one lucky AV NIRVANA member. This is an incredible opportunity to land truly impactful subwoofer performance in your home!

The Captivator 118HT is an elegant heavy hitter, weighing in at a whopping 129-pounds and standing nearly three feet tall (30” H x 20” W x 22.5” D). It utilizes a bass reflex design paired with a custom 18-inch driver and a DSP optimized 700 Watt amplifier for bone rattling performance capable of dipping below 17Hz in a typical room. Shunning standard MDF, the Captivator 118HT’s heavily braced cabinet is constructed with 18mm 13-ply Baltic Birch plywood. It also features a magnetically attached grill, and an amp plate with multiple controls (Gain, LF Adjust, Crossover, Delay), a 12 volt trigger, RCA and XLR connections, and an On/Auto/Off power selector.

Click here for more information about JTR Speakers and the Captivator 118HT sub.

How to Enter
  1. You must be a registered member on AV NIRVANA (click here to register)
  2. Respond below and tell us what appeals to you about the JTR Speakers Captivator 118HT. Please include details and information about your current system and how the the 118HT will be integrated. Be specific!

Boost Your Entries

We’re offering members a simple way to gain more entries in the contest, automatically! Members with at least 100 posts on the forum by August 21, 2017 will gain TWO entries in the contest, and members with 1,000 posts will receive THREE automatic entries to win! This will be be an ongoing bonus that can be applied to all future Giveaway Promotions (for example, once a member reaches 100 posts on the forum, they will always receive an extra entry in all future contests). As the forum grows, we'll likely continue to expand this benefit, so stick around! It’s our way for saying “thank you” to members who are active in the community.

Contest Rules
The contest is for one JTR Speakers Captivator 118HT subwoofer (like-new review sample, value is $1599). The contest runs from 5/21/2017 until 11:59PM EST on 8/21/2017. Entrants must be a registered member of avnirvana.com. A winner will be drawn at random and announced during the week of 8/21/2017. The winner must reside in the Continental United States (Lower 48) to qualify for free ground shipping. Any winner living outside of the United States must arrange and pay for shipping via a US Forwarding Service (AV NIRVANA will provide shipping to a Continental US-based Forwarding Service, the winner is responsible for all taxes, fees, and shipping charges there after). Winners living outside of the United States will have 4 weeks to make Forwarding Service arrangements. Rules are subject to change without notice.

Ready to Enter? Respond below!
If you'd like to discuss this contest, please click here.

Thanks to all of our members for being part of our AV NIRVANA community! Good luck!

NOTICE: THIS IS THE QUALIFICATION THREAD ONLY - PLEASE GO HERE FOR DISCUSSION - THANKS!
I love JTR speakers and would love to add this big 18" sub to my home theater. I think It could nicely compliment my Captivator 1400 with a little TLC.

warndry

Registered
After having 10" & 12" subs this 18"er looks to be on a whole nother level...
JTR has a great reputation and the owners are all very helpful and informative when they give advise in threads.
I need this Cap 118HT nearfield so I can feel what is really happening in music and movies.
Count me in for the giveaway Entry!

Curves

I have owned a JTR 118HT for two weeks now and it is awesome. Hearing things I have never heard before, getting strong tactile response at the MLP and it really shakes up the house!
If I won this I would have two :)

chucky7

I am a proud owner of a 2015 Captivator 1400. After hearing and testing the little brother, the Captivator 118HT at a recent GTG, I have concluded that this is the best overall sub under $2000 shipped. During the GTG, people were surprised by its excursion capability because the paper accordion surround looked unassuming. Known for its outrageous mount of output, JTR subs are also tight and controlled. They are by far the best subs I have heard. If I win, I plan to use this near field behind my MLP.

The rest of my system consists of: Polk Audio LSiM703s as fronts, LSiM706C as center, and RTiA3 for surrounds. Pioneer SC-1222K as AVR and Panasonic TC-P55UT50 as TV.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Sony UBP-X800
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Subwoofers
SVS PB2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Harmony Elite - Moving to Unfolded Circle Remote 2
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB, PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
I would love to add this to my system, to add bass impact that my system currently does not achieve.

I have a dedicated room with front projection and three rows of tiered seating. A new brain for the system arrives tomorrow in the shape of an Emotiva XMC-1 processor (replacing an Emotiva UMC-200). Currently the bass duties are handled by an SVS PB2000 12" sub. Adding the Captivator 118HT would allow me to move the SVS into more of a mid-bass role, with the Captivator handling the brown note.

My LCRs are based on elemental Designs Cinema6 MTM cabinets that were purchased when they closed up shop. Custom crossovers were designed, but with only 6" drivers, mid-bass help is greatly needed.

I was able to hear several JTR cabinets at the opening of The Savoy in Des Moines and none failed to impress.

Thanks for the opportunity!

Marksc68

Registered
More  
Marantz 7702mk2
Main Amp
Sunfire TGA 7201
Additional Amp
Rotel RMB 1077
Other Amp
Sunfire Signature Cinema Grand
UHD 203
Front Speakers
Niles PHD42
Center Channel Speaker
Niles PHD42
Surround Speakers
Niles PHD42
Surround Back Speakers
Niles PHD42
Front Height Speakers
Totem 8
Rear Height Speakers
Totem 8
Subwoofers
3 Seaton Submersives
KEF Reference model 3, M&K S-1C
Video Display Device
Epson 5030ub, 2 Samsung F8500 Plasma
Screen
106 Stewart Firehawk G3
Remote Control
Harmony 700
Streaming Subscriptions
Oppo UHD203, Anthem TLP-1, Denon 3910
What a generous offer from one of the most knowledgeable and down to earth person in the industry. I had the opportunity to meet Jeff at Axpona earlier this year and was truly blown away with the system he amassed for the show. I had high expectations of hearing and seeing the new 118HT in action at the show, but alas, no subs. I asked Jeff why. He responded that they weren't needed with the 7 215RT he brought tuned to 17hz. I was a bit skeptical, as I am a bass head and have 3 Seaton Submersives in my theater for reinforcement, but let me tell you that that system left me feeling like I was trying to start a fire with a couple of Sticks.
So, seeing that Jeff can get that kind of control with a full range speaker I am confident that if he devoted as much time an effort to building a subwoofer that it would be the most capable for size x power x cost available. Why I would like to win the giveaway is this. I am very happy with my theater, Marantz 7702mk2, Sunfire and Rotel power, Niles and Totem for speakers and Epson, Oppo and Stewart on the video side, this is not what I sit down and watch and listen to everyday.
I would be replacing a 17 year old Infinity IL120 in my family room. I finally found the elusive speakers I have been looking to acquire for the last 7 years, which are the M&K S-1c. I needed a sub sat system to compliment the decor of the room and the speakers fit the bill perfectly. The problem is I have run out of sub which just cannot keep up with the Sat's. Having heard Jeff's room, I feel I have the top end covered, but would love to add the bottom end that I know the 118HT would add. The speakers and sub are complimenting a 60 inch version of Samsungs F8500 plasma with audio by an Anthem TLP-1 and Rotel power.

Thank you for the chance to acquire the 118HT !

demfotos

Registered
I retired just eight weeks ago and am starting up a photography business that is expanding into audio-video of local bands. I'm going to acoustically treat my new workroom to optimize its bass performance and the JTR 118HT would be the perfect foundation to build my new venture on.

obdav

Registered
The JTR 118H is consistently reviewed as a powerful subwoofer that would immediately elevate my HT system. I'm currently using a MFW-15 Turbo-SS from Seaton Sound, which is an excellent subwoofer for it's price and size, but not in the same league as the JTR 118H. I'm a big fan of dual subs for evening out the FR across listening seats and for avoiding localization. The JTR 118H would achieve two goals in my system: (1) it's an upgrade over the MFW-15 (18" vs. 15" driver, capable of higher SPL, and stronger tactile response), and (2) it would give me two capable subs providing a smoother response that's better able to fill my space (open-style living room so the total size is large).

Thanks to AV NIRVANA and JTR for making this giveaway possible and for hosting REW too!

DDMORE

Registered
Being a professional speaker Reconer and Live Audio Engineer for over 40 years , I have recently branched out into Studio Mixing and Mastering . It would be interesting to see how these would blend into a studio monitoring system . I would like to do a full spectrum analysis with REW software in an open air and a room environment . I no longer have access to EV's anechoic chamber since they moved out of Michigan but open air will give somewhat similar results . I have designed and built pro sound reinforcement system cabinets in the past ,mostly of the horn loaded design and would like very much to see the quality of these cabinets . I do not see the response curves for them on the JTR site . Would be a nice addition to the product page .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom