The Hang Loose Convolver Makes a Perfect Match for REW’s Convolution Filter Support

full?d=1666646276.png

(October 24, 2022) Accurate Sound Reproduction Services’ all-new Hang Loose Convolver (HLC; Mac and PC) gives discerning enthusiasts the ability to accurately compare audio filters, side-stepping science-based pitfalls that might otherwise impact audio comparison and evaluation sessions. This is done by using a convolver platform that delivers level-matched, fast-switching filter comparisons.

Switching speeds and matched audio levels are paramount to subjectively fair filter comparisons. Why? It’s basic science. The brain has a rather brief echoic or short-term audio memory that lasts up to 10 seconds. Go beyond that time frame and you’re less likely to hear differences in similar sounds. HLC’s instant switching capabilities allow users to pay particular attention to tonal and timing changes, giving filter designs an opportunity to accurately impact perceived sound. The human ear also has a preference for sound that’s elevated in volume, which causes higher and lower frequencies to appear more prominent than mid-range frequencies. Hang Loose’s filter banks and bypass mode can be level-matched using individual gain sliders and pink noise for use with a sound level meter or HLC’s built-in metering. That means filters can be compared without concerns over level-induced biases.

Additional features include “autogain,” which normalizes the gain of an FIR filter to 1.0 and auto-applies this setting to the filter’s gain slider as a starting point for level-matching filters. HLC also offers “Master Trim” controls that level-match the gain of a filter with a "bypass" level. Using the "Output Level" meters, users can ensure no clipping is occurring in the convolver, and if clipping is detected, intelligent adjustments can be made.

Following the industry standard convolver “config” file specification, HLC offers:
  • Input and output delays with 0.1ms resolution.
  • Input and output channel weights.
  • Summing input channels to a single output path - typically used for cross-talk cancellation filters.
  • Both absolute and relative file paths to the filters are supported.
  • Supports mono and stereo .wav files 32-bit single precision floating point format.
  • If the host sample rate changes, HLC will look for a matching .cfg filter to load automatically.
With Room EQ Wizard’s (REW) newly launched support for developing convolution filters, Hang Loose Convolver stands as an obvious tool for audio enthusiasts to test and compare convolution filters crafted in the software. Also, it’s worth noting that Accurate Sound Reproduction Services offers DRC/DSP calibration service with more than 175 satisfied customers around the world.

The Hang Loose Convolver costs $129USD for up to six activations in any combination of plug-in or standalone mode on up to six different computers. It's also available for use as a 10-day free trial. Accurate Sound Reproduction Services is currently in the process of integrating free trial download functionality into its website; if you're interested in trying the software, visit https://accuratesound.ca and select "contact" on the menu bar for access to a customer support email address.

Last edited:

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
To note, the following has been added to the news release:

The Hang Loose Convolver costs $129USD for up to six activations in any combination of plug-in or standalone mode on up to six different computers. It's also available for use as a 10-day free trial. Accurate Sound Reproduction Services is currently in the process of integrating free trial download functionality into its website; if you're interested in trying the software, visit https://accuratesound.ca and select "contact" on the menu bar for access to a customer support email address.

jcg74

Registered
With Room EQ Wizard’s (REW) newly launched support for developing convolution filters, Hang Loose Convolver stands as an obvious tool for audio enthusiasts to test and compare convolution filters crafted in the software.

Hi Todd,
I'm not a regular user of REW but I don't see the convolution support in REW 5.20.13. Could you enlight me
Thanks in advance
Jean Claude

tonycdk

More  
Metric Halo ULN-8
Main Amp
4 x Tact S2150
Additional Amp
1 x Tact M2150
oppo BDP 103 D with Audiopraise Vanity 103 HD
Front Speakers
QUAD ESL 2912 with home built subwoofer
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Subwoofers
Five small volume home built subwoofers
MacMini server, 3 Apogee BigBens, Oracle Delphi
Streaming Subscriptions
Matched pair of Earthworks QTC50 microphones
What constitutes an activation?

I currently use correction filters, of length 262144 samples in the .dbl format, in my convolution computer. Will the software handle this?

Tony

Mitchco

Hi Tony, an activation is when the license key has been entered into HLC. HLC can be installed on up to 6 computers (i.e. 6 activations), whether Windows or Mac or combination thereof.

The .dbl format is Uli's proprietary file format used in Acourate. However, you can save your filters as .wav format out of Acourate to be used in HLC.

Kind regards,
Mitch

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Hi Todd,
I'm not a regular user of REW but I don't see the convolution support in REW 5.20.13. Could you enlight me
Thanks in advance
Jean Claude
Read about the Enhancements to the Trace Arithmetic in the V5.20.12/V5.20.13 release notes... https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/v5-20-12-v5-20-13-release.11029/... And now https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/v5-20-14-early-access-build.11154/...
You may be interested in this video which implements an example of this technique...

Last edited:

ChaseT

Registered
HLC version 1.1.4 released with high quality filter resampler:
Absolutely new to this forum and wasn't sure where to post these questions. Unfortunately, the manual for hangloose is a bit thin, I get its a working progress.

1. In Jriver, Audio device do I choose VBcable Wasapi? And if so does that mean I am not using ASIO?
2. Do I need to add the plugin HL convolver?
3. If I do does that mean the routing is done through Jriver and the convolutions through HL?
4.Ideally, I would like to set it up without Jriver but to get me started i need to know what goes in
-audio device Jriver
-configure Audio i/o ASIO? Or Windows Exclusive? My system is with ASIO.
-and I tried adding CFG file for a triamp with 2.0 and 5.1 and it is not accepting it?

Mitchco

Hi @ChaseT Thanks for trying out HLC. I am not sure I understand you are trying to accomplish.

In JRiver, HLC is used as a VST3 plugin. You just plugin it in.

If you want to route audio from a different source, and not use JRiver, then you need to use a "host" application that hosts HLC plugin. There is a free but basic host that comes with HLC that can be used. But what are your source application(s)? If they use Windows audio, then VB Cable is required. The manual shows how to download and install VB Cable and shows examples of how to hook it it. There is also a video walkthrough that came with the trial. The video also shows how to increase the number of channels, including a triamp scenario. I am not sure what issue you are having with the .cfg files...

You can get support at mitch(at)accuratesound.ca Please send me a note, thanks.

Top Bottom