Sonarworks XREF20 mic - any good?

Iansr

Hi, is this measurement mic any good? I can’t work out whether it would work for Audiolense or is it only for the software that they sell along with it?

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Yes this will work with Audiolense. The quality parameter that really matters here is that it is properly calibrated (which it probably is) This mic requires a mic amp (or sound card with mic input) that provides 48 V phantom power, so make sure that you have that before you purchase.

jjazdk

It is a really nice measurement microphone.

I have it myself, and I have checked the 0 degree calibration (it also comes with a 30 degree calibration).

For the price it is difficult to find something better, I have used it extensively with both REW and Audiolense.

Iansr

Thanks both. My Fireface UFX can provide phantom power so that is fine.

Iansr

So I bought an XREF20. Based on other comments I’ve seen about measurement mics I was expecting to get a link to the mic’s specific calibration file, but there is no mention of such a file. Am I missing something?

Andrew Belcher

Registered
It is a really nice measurement microphone.

I have it myself, and I have checked the 0 degree calibration (it also comes with a 30 degree calibration).

For the price it is difficult to find something better, I have used it extensively with both REW and Audiolense.
That's interesting that it comes with a 30 degree calibration. Seems like 0 and 90 degrees are the 2 i have seen. Why 30 degrees?

DanDan

Staff member
As best I can tell from their videos and website, this SW 30 Cal file is intended for use with their Software only. The instructions say use the 30 degree file, while pointing the Mic Horizontal, 0 Degrees, Straight ahead. They do provide a regular 0 degree Cal File for use with other software. Afaik, they do not include a 90 file which diminishes the XREF mic somewhat in my eyes. A further caveat, SW seem happy to recommend handheld measurements. Without further information as to why, I suggest it always better to use a mic stand to avoid movement and proximity of the human body.

Last edited:
Top Bottom