Gallo Micro
Subwoofers
Stereo 10"sealed
Video Display Device
Sony HW55-es
Remote Control
Harmony
Hi all,

as a long time user of AL I had a look at the convolver, which I think as a great development in itself.
This convolver could be a great contribution to my system if I could use it as a stand-alone.convolver for streaming purposes.
That is: in a true stand alone "start up-load correction-start stream-change volume-power down" configuration.
This raises several questions (the "load correction-start stream" could presumably be covered with an .EXE file ), but the prevalent for now is how adjust the convolver volume using a remote.
Could this be made to work? Maybe with a Flirc?

Thx for any answers.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
You could add the convolver to programs that starts when you turn on the pc. It will start stream automatically.
The volume is on my to-do list, but I do not know when I will be able to do it.

Spanky

Registered
More  
Main Amp
2x SE10, 1x Decware
Additional Amp
2x AVI M2000 SS
Other Amp
Dayens Ampino
Computer Audio
HTPC
DAC
Prism Audio Orpheus
Front Speakers
3 way open baffle
Surround Speakers
Gallo Micro
Subwoofers
Stereo 10"sealed
Video Display Device
Sony HW55-es
Remote Control
Harmony
Thank you for the reply, I'll keep an eye out for it.

menlobob

The volume is on my to-do list,
When you do get a chance to implement volume control, have you thought about implementing external control through maybe OSC, which would allow a Roon plugin to control the convolver volume remotely?

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Haven’ given it much thought yet. I have a tip for a remote with a programming interface. That’s it. I need to do some studying before I decide what to do, so I’m open to suggestions … preferable with links that can direct me towards relevant technical info.

andersbr

More  
Computer Audio
Audiolense XO and AL convolver
DAC
Motu 16A
Front Speakers
PSE-144 horns on top of sealed diy 18"
I needed a volume control badly since i am running the convolver standalone.. Spdif signal from samsung Q8 TV to my Motu 16A interface.
I quicly found out that it would not work out to constantly change hdmi source to adjust the volume inside convolver when watching TV/Netflix etc.
Anyway, i found my own solution and it works perfectly:
I can now use my regular samsung tv remote volume buttons to control the convolver volume.

I purchased a FLIRC USB, a tiny IR receiver dongle that emulates a keyboard.
i set it up so that volume up+down from the remote sends some key strokes (special character, seldomly used).
I have written a small AHK script placed in the startup folder that listens for these characters, so that whenever volume up is pressed the mouse cursor instantly positions over the convolver icon in the tray and send a mouse scroll step in the corresponding direction.
This works (to my surprise) flawlessly with no input lag or issues, even holding the volume button scrolls the volume nice and smooth.
i just set up the volume slider to increment wih 1dB on each click and set the range minumum value to the point where i can no longer/barely hear the sound.
he convolver icon needs to be locked to the traybar (not hidden away with the grouped tray icons)

Another very useful benefit is that the FLIRC dongle can wake up the PC as well. send the wake key stroke when a particular IR command is detected.
My PC is set to hibernate after a few hours of idle (no volume change activity)

a tip regarding how the Samsung smart TV & remote actually work. You can define that you have a "some brand sounbar" connected via Optical.
The remote will then only command the PC/audiolese volume when the TV audio is set to optical out. as the remote changes its IR signature for the volume&mute buttons.

Here is the AHK script i use:
I now this is a hacked way to do this but was my first AHK (autohotkey) script. I am sure a more elegant solution is possible.

CoordMode, Mouse, Screen ;coordinates in whole screen for pointer move
<^>!8:: ;if AltGR+8 is pressed
Click, 3330 2100 WD ;places pointer over ALC icon (x/y coords) and scrolls a step on mouse wheel
return

<^>!9::
Click, 3330 2100 WU
return

Last edited:

andersbr

More  
Computer Audio
DAC
Motu 16A
Front Speakers
Can also use the keyboard directly to control volume with this same 7 line script. No need for a IR /FLIRC receiver.

Should mention that i had a small hickup regarding the hotkey script today as IR remote volume had stopped responding. Turned out to be Windows update had presented its notification icon, displacing the position of ALC icon. :doh:OK.Need some improvement before i can run the pc "headless" still.

AHK scripts from what i have read, can be made to interact with programs/icon/menus based on other things like window content/title/process name. It can even look up icons/programs using image recognition. One nice thing about these scripts is that they compile to a standalone exe file.

Even better if there was method to interract with the convolver volume directly, off screen and not using a script.

@Bernt
I hope for the possibility to direct assign hotkeys inside the convolver or if possible let the convolver take ownership of the keyboard volume buttons when convolving/stream is active .;)

-Anders

Ofer

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
miniDSP 4x10hd
Main Amp
Emotiva XPR200 midrange amp
Additional Amp
Crest audio 2001A bass amp, Crest audio 8002 sub
Other Amp
Rotel RA930ax twitter amp
Computer Audio
Sony Bravia android TV
DAC
RME FF400
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Marantz original 5E CD
Front Speakers
Andromeda MkII
Subwoofers
18" OEM powered subwoofer, 18" Martycube Dayton A.
Screen
Sony bravia 65XF9005
Streaming Subscriptions
Deezer HiFi
Other Equipment
HP i5 running W10, HLC convolver for Audio Lense filters
@andersbr
That is an elegant trick. Where are the volume commands sent? PC master volume? Motu master volume? can you use this remote when streaming audio/video from the PC?

andersbr

More  
Computer Audio
DAC
Motu 16A
Front Speakers
I adjust volume inside Audiolense convolver. I have to when audio source is optical/digital from tv. And yes It works when watching PC.

As of today (concolver v.1.6) you have to see the pc screen to interract with the volume as it requires mouse input.
So for now i use a remote with a script to automate this.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
^^I think hotkey assignment is doable. I will look into it when I find time.

clarus

I would vote for supporting standard USB HID volume control. This would allow any standard USB HID device that have volume control function to work with the app. This include standard USB keyboards that has multimedia control.
(https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files/documents/hut1_12v2.pdf, pg.89).
Short of that, hotkey assignment could be a workable solution.
The current state of volume control is really not suitable for everyday remote use.

Top Bottom