Question about Automatic Speaker Polarity Correction Option & How Best To Ensure That Certain SUBs Remain Out Of Phase With Other Subs/Speakers

justbob

Hello,

I have a few questions about the Polarity Correction option seen in the Measurement Tab. In the User guide .pdf it mentions that "All corrections in Audiolense are made such that all speakers and drivers have a positive polarity after correction."

First a few questions on this specific feature:

1. Is this option in the Measurement Tab really just meant to address/correct for possible User error when physically wiring up your audio system or is it doing more than that?
2. If I know that my kit is wired up with correct Polarity to each speaker is there any other need to have this feature Enabled?
3. If this feature is enabled would it try and reverse (ie..correct) the Phase of a speaker that was purposely configured to be Out of Phase with other speakers?

Lastly, what is the best way to do a measurement and create Correction Filters in Audiolense when you are wanting to have one or more Subs be purposely Out of Phase from other Subs after all filters have been generated (ie..Sink/Source Configuration).

On my Subs I have a knob that allows for continuous Phase adjustment from 0 to -180deg on the plate amp (Rythmik Subs). When doing your initial measurement with AL is it best to leave all the physical adjustments found on the back of the plate amp disabled (except volume level of course) so it doesn't interfere with the measurement and filter generation process OR is it better to have the physical knob adjustments already set on the back of the Subs to how you want them to be BEFORE taking measurements in AL?

So if for example I know that I want the two Subs at the back of my listening room to be Out of Phase with the Sub in the front of the room what is the best way to achieve that when using AudioLense? Should I take the measurement and create the correction filters with the Phase adjustment on the back of the Sub disabled and then afterwards just adjust the Phase knob on the Subs to be Out of Phase from how it was when the initial measurement was taken or would doing this screw things up if done afterwards?

The plan would be to take REW measurements after the filters are created and the Phase adjustments are set to see how it all looks.

Thanks for any info you can provide

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
1 yes
2 it is safer to dissble the polarity correction if you know it is wired correctly.
3 it will assume positive polarity and thus get the timing wrong if it is negative.

unfortunately Audiolense does not have source - sink functionality. You need to handle that outside Audiolense and expose the assembly as one unit (one driver) in Audiolense.

2234rew

2 it is safer to dissble the polarity correction if you know it is wired correctly.
3 it will assume positive polarity and thus get the timing wrong if it is negative.

Hi @juicehifi

If we disable polarity correction, is it possible to use the step response measurement (not simulation) to verify the wiring is correct?

Is this a reliable method to verify ? Or not reliable?

For example, below is IR measurement. Is tweeter in negative polarity and midbass in positive polarity from this measurement? And subwoofer in negative polarity?

Last edited:
Top Bottom