Playing REW Sweep Files to Specific Speakers

Marathonman777

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz AV7703
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo
I am trying to calibrate my speakers (including ATMOS) using REW sweep files. I am having issues with surround sweep files playing to the correct speakers. For instance, with the computer speakers configured as 7.1 system, the sweep files for the SL, SR, TFL, TFR, TRL, TRR speakers will only play on the SBL or SBR speakers. When switching to 5.1 system with no back surround, the TFL, TFR, TRL, TRR, SBL, and SBR speakers will only play on the SL and SR speakers. The computer is connected to a Marantz AV7703 on AUX1 HDMI connection. The sound field is set at Dolby Stereo which includes Multichannel In + Dolby (all speakers show up as active on preamp front display - FL/FR/C/SL/SR/TFL/TFR/TRL/TRR/SW as part of this sound field). I have changed REW to allow Windows player to take control. For Sound Settings, all enhancements are disabled, set at 24 bit, 48000 Hz, no spatial sound, volume at 100%, speakers set at 7.1. I know others have gotten the Atmos sweep files to play through the intended speakers. The only other option I have is to play the Atmos speaker sweep file through the surround channel but switched the Atmos speaker wires to the surround speaker where the sweep file is playing. You have any idea why I cannot play each of these sweep files to their specific intended speakers?

thothsong

What app are you using to play the Atmos sweep files? If the app is correctly configured to support DD+ Atmos, it should override the Windows speaker settings and output a DD+ Atmos bitstream, and your AVR should show that Atmos is being received. It sounds like you aren't getting Atmos bitstream output, just the 5.1 downmix.

Marathonman777

More  
Marantz AV7703
Oppo
From your reply, I downloaded VLC and set it up so I can bitstream. I am now able to play sweep files and they go to the proper speaker. Thanks for your comment!!

Last edited:

thothsong

IIRC, Windows Media Player on my Windows 10 PC didn't require any configuration, it just worked. You could also try the Movies & TV app, again no configuration required that I recall. I'm not familiar with your AVR, but I think the problem is that you're using the wrong Sound Mode; change it to Surround.

Marathonman777

More  
Marantz AV7703
Oppo
I was using Media Player on Windows 11 PC. Marantz AV7703 is my AVR. I have tried to play the Atmos sweep file on every sound mode. None of them work to play the sound on the correct speaker. There is a Dolby Surround mode that indicates the height speakers are included and this will not play the Atmos files in the correct speaker.

thothsong

While playing one of the files, on your AVR look at Settings->General->Information->Audio, and report what it shows.

Marathonman777

More  
Marantz AV7703
Oppo
I do not see this path on my computer (there is no General selection under settings). What information are you looking for?

Marathonman777

More  
Marantz AV7703
Oppo
Oh, sorry. It says: Sound Mode - Dolby Surround, Input Signal - Analog

thothsong

Analog doesn't make sense. You're actively playing one of the files, using an HDMI connection to the AVR?

Marathonman777

More  
Marantz AV7703
Oppo
When using Media Player, I get: Sound Mode = Multi In +Dolby Surround, Input Signal = PCM, Sample Rate = 48 kHz, Format 3/4/.1
When using VLC (the one that works), I get: Sound Mode = Dolby Atmos, Input Signal - Dolby Atmos/Digital +, Sample Rate = 48 kHz

thothsong

I don't know why Media Player isn't working for you, but are you getting proper speaker output with VLC now?

Marathonman777

More  
Marantz AV7703
Oppo
Yes, VLC is sending the outputs to the correct speakers.

cadillacfella

Registered
Try Windows Media Player Legacy; that works for me on Windows 11.
Thanks. I will try that. Also, when I did a comparison (just for my own sanity), for some reason the sweep files are playing about 12 dB lower than the REW generated sweeps (from both WMP and VLC). I cannot figure out why. I assume maybe I have a wrong setting somewhere, but I haven't been able to figure it out. Any thoughts?

cadillacfella

Registered
Just increase your master volume level.
I'm still struggling with this concept. Are you familiar with Obsessive Compulsive Audiophile on YouTube? He is using your files and seeing no difference in SPL between the REW generated sweeps and your file sweeps. I have tried two different PCs, both W10 and W11, and the files play at lower output in all cases. For FL, REW sweep in blue, your file in yellow from VLC. How can he get them to play at the same level, but I cannot to save my life? :/

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 9

thothsong

Are you familiar with Obsessive Compulsive Audiophile on YouTube? He is using your files and seeing no difference in SPL between the REW generated sweeps and your file sweeps.
Perhaps @serko70 can respond to that directly.

The difference is only 6 dB on my system, with REW configured for -12 dBFS.

serko70

More  
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
I finally found the culprit and explained in Youtube comments but I should also add it here for members:

Marantz/Denon line receiver's default setting "Loudness Management: On" applies an SPL offset to Atmos signals while it doesn't do that for any other signal ie REW sweeps. The setting should be turned off for calibration. Then all sweeps (@thothsong 's or REW's own) are identical bar a maximum 1.5dB disagreement between us with surround channels :)

Last edited:

serko70

More  
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
Yes, VLC is sending the outputs to the correct speakers.
I don't know about W11 but with W10, I lost (was working fine in the past) Atmos output from WMP today and oddly, it ONLY came back after I switched back to "movie" from "music" with the receiver's remote control!

Last edited:
Top Bottom