Optimal crossover point for my measurements

2234rew

Hi Bernt @juicehifi

Please see attached filtered measurements for left and right (2-way) and sub, for 2.1 setup.

Currently I've chosen XO points as 80 Hz and 1600 Hz.

From the attached can you advise if you would choose different XO points?

Target is minimum phase and crossover is linear phase as per your advice on another thread.

It's already sounding spectacular and I'm really happy with sound quakity.

I'd be happy to try other XO points if you can suggest. Or do the points I've chosen look fine?

Thanks !

4FFDEEE5-F359-4CD4-9F99-DC64263ABF8D.png

5EB9DED7-6658-40E2-84EB-2F795778C981.png

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
It’s looking pretty good, but check if the 65Hz dip in the left midrange causes issues in the simulation.

2234rew

It’s looking pretty good, but check if the 65Hz dip in the left midrange causes issues in the simulation.

Thanks Bernt, looks like right channel shows a dip at 65 Hz in the simulation. Left looks fine. Both attached below.

Also group delay filtered measurement and simulated step response attached below.

Why does my step response peak overshoot the target so much? Is that bad?

And the XO at 1600 Hz no need for concern? Nothing more "ideal" to try from the measurements?

I'm so happy with result but happy to try other suggestions.

F56D6AFA-8845-435A-823A-6DEA5AF1ACC7.png

437A0A0A-B9F0-444F-AB6B-8B0B81BC8C6B.png

489B6CD1-14DB-437D-A759-9B0046047B32.png

3ABF7919-168D-4316-9C53-3F2BF0CB4530.png

4F541F7B-C46D-4430-A93E-C4A887B65509.png

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
It is not the target step response. It\s the subwoofer step response. I believe the pre-ringing is inaudible, and the step response is pretty good, but you should test different correction procedure settings and see if you can achieve a cleaner entry.

Please post the frequence responses of the correction filters.

And give us a zoomed view of the impulse response of the correction filters too.

Left speaker will suffice.

2234rew

It is not the target step response. It\s the subwoofer step response. I believe the pre-ringing is inaudible, and the step response is pretty good, but you should test different correction procedure settings and see if you can achieve a cleaner entry.

Please post the frequence responses of the correction filters.

And give us a zoomed view of the impulse response of the correction filters too.

Left speaker will suffice.

Thanks Bernt.

I had selected min phase target curve so is the pre-ringing only for the lin phase XO I selected?

In the simulated step response screenshot above, the subwoofer is not properly time aligned? Seems to be misaligned with the left and right step response.

Requested correction filter FR and IR screenshots below.

Appreciate any tips / advice for things to try.

8457C3AC-89D9-4F24-BFA2-7E7DA89E3CAF.png

Left:

182986F0-2C6D-472A-A5C8-9C4807B289DF.png

2D9880F7-C0E7-497B-8CA6-0A3D10A3BF1B.png

Right:

37B20FD8-1D42-4E03-A052-C062DE45CD76.png

2388080B-4EE3-46E6-88ED-97DCF0A9CF4D.png

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Not bad at all, but I think it is worthwhile to check if things can be improved.

You seem to have a strong cancellation around 65 Hz. It is causing a little bit of pre-ringing you see in the correction filters for the sub and midbass. Corresponds with the peak in the group delay plots further up in the thread.

There are a couple of things to try out to work around this. If you send me the measurement file, or post it here, I'll check it out.

2234rew

Not bad at all, but I think it is worthwhile to check if things can be improved.

You seem to have a strong cancellation around 65 Hz. It is causing a little bit of pre-ringing you see in the correction filters for the sub and midbass. Corresponds with the peak in the group delay plots further up in the thread.

There are a couple of things to try out to work around this. If you send me the measurement file, or post it here, I'll check it out.

Thanks heaps Bernt, I emailed to you today and referred to this thread in this email.

I emailed you latest measurement file, measured today as I had to rotate left speaker a few degrees, as it was a few degrees off axis compared to right channel. I like to sit directly on axis.

But strangely now step response seems out of phase, between left and right channels. I don't understand how this is possible but maybe you can see some clues in the measurement file I emailed. No speaker/amp connections were touched.

This is the output of step response "simulation + target"

34ED0097-1828-46E8-8847-1FBF5F5B03FD.png

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
After examining your measurement I think you're already close to as good as it gets here. You've done a good job here.

I could only find two, rather small, potential improvements.

1) disable TTD per driver
2) increase the low TTD window to 7 cycles.

With the settings I mentioned, the pre-sound drops straight down to -40 dB and drops rapidly from there (looking from right to left), which is pretty good ... and slightly better than with your current settings. I'll leave to you to decide if the difference to your current setting is audible - and if so which sounds the best.

The pre-oscillation in the sub and midbass correction will sometimes be audible, although the simulation is very good (like here), but not necessarily. The only way to get rid of this is probably to losten closer and/or acoustic treatment.

In the taste department, you could try my kind of target. Basically a straight line that falls 4-6-ish dB towards the top. It sounds different from what you are using now, less colored and more rhythmic to my ears. A lot of users lean towards what you're doing, though. So trust your ears and stick to what you like.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Thanks heaps Bernt, I emailed to you today and referred to this thread in this email.

I emailed you latest measurement file, measured today as I had to rotate left speaker a few degrees, as it was a few degrees off axis compared to right channel. I like to sit directly on axis.

But strangely now step response seems out of phase, between left and right channels. I don't understand how this is possible but maybe you can see some clues in the measurement file I emailed. No speaker/amp connections were touched.

This is the output of step response "simulation + target"

View attachment 40989
This happens on occations, but not very often. Most likely, the polarity has been corrected wrong by Audiolense.

In the measurement you sent me, the sub and tweeter both had inverted polarity, while the midbass had positive. The safest solution is to ensure that everything is connected with positive polarity and disable the automatic polarity correction

2234rew

This happens on occations, but not very often. Most likely, the polarity has been corrected wrong by Audiolense.

In the measurement you sent me, the sub and tweeter both had inverted polarity, while the midbass had positive. The safest solution is to ensure that everything is connected with positive polarity and disable the automatic polarity correction

Noted, thanks Bernt.

Using same measuremen file I emailed you, I disabled auto polarity correction and generated new step response and new correction filters, without doing a new measurement.

Step response Looks better now. All drivers time aligned it seems
5CCBD0A9-7523-4169-BE4F-79AB47C3998A.png

Last edited:

2234rew

And impulse response looks good. But zooming into step response simulation I wonder if improvements can be made

46ADF898-9016-49D4-9A38-FD5AF3C231C5.png

6F9CA690-1D22-45A4-9991-9F0B8738A004.png

BenToronto

In post #1, are those the individual drivers with or without the crossover filters?

Lots of considerations in choosing XO points. I'd start by seeing what bands each driver is capable of (FR, distortion, etc), so you know what you have to work with; which is what's wonderful about this approach. But has to be done first without XO or other filters (and not too loud for tweeters).

B.

2234rew

After examining your measurement I think you're already close to as good as it gets here. You've done a good job here.

I could only find two, rather small, potential improvements.

1) disable TTD per driver
2) increase the low TTD window to 7 cycles.

View attachment 40987

With the settings I mentioned, the pre-sound drops straight down to -40 dB and drops rapidly from there (looking from right to left), which is pretty good ... and slightly better than with your current settings. I'll leave to you to decide if the difference to your current setting is audible - and if so which sounds the best.

The pre-oscillation in the sub and midbass correction will sometimes be audible, although the simulation is very good (like here), but not necessarily. The only way to get rid of this is probably to losten closer and/or acoustic treatment.
View attachment 40988

In the taste department, you could try my kind of target. Basically a straight line that falls 4-6-ish dB towards the top. It sounds different from what you are using now, less colored and more rhythmic to my ears. A lot of users lean towards what you're doing, though. So trust your ears and stick to what you like.

View attachment 40990

Thanks Bernt, I seemed to not get a notification to this post of yours, so completely missed it.

Thanks heaps for the feedback.

I tried to copy your settings but I don't get the same "log step simulation".

You get -40dB pre-oscillation but mine is slightly higher with same settings (version 6.16 XO)

Last edited:

2234rew

Also just to clarify Bernt, is this pre-oscillation because I'm using linear phase XO at 80 Hz? Or caused by something else?

Overall target curve is minimum phase.

Last edited:

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
It is caused by a strong cancellation in the room. Strictly to do with acoustics. I believe yours is borderline audible, and this is also highly dependant on what kind of music you listen to. I believe it will be inaudible with all kinds of acoustic performances, for instance.

2234rew

It is caused by a strong cancellation in the room. Strictly to do with acoustics. I believe yours is borderline audible, and this is also highly dependant on what kind of music you listen to. I believe it will be inaudible with all kinds of acoustic performances, for instance.

Thanks Bernt. I have to ability to demo (for free) some big absorbers.

From the measurements, what frequencies need to be absorbed? Which graph shows this

So I can demo the correct room treatments

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
If you zoom in on the entry to the step response you should be able to estimate the duration of one cycle pretty well. From there, you can calculate the frequency as 1000/ cycle time. And then you can probably find one or two corresponding depressions in the measured frequency responses. And that's it.

Another approach is to look at the measuremd group delay and frequency response. Look for group delay peaks that corresponds with magnitude depressions.

Sometimes the problems can be hidden behind later reflections that fills in the depressions, but usually not.

2234rew

If you zoom in on the entry to the step response you should be able to estimate the duration of one cycle pretty well. From there, you can calculate the frequency as 1000/ cycle time. And then you can probably find one or two corresponding depressions in the measured frequency responses. And that's it.

Another approach is to look at the measuremd group delay and frequency response. Look for group delay peaks that corresponds with magnitude depressions.

Sometimes the problems can be hidden behind later reflections that fills in the depressions, but usually not.

Thanks Bernt, I'll do some investigating.

I am super super happy with SQ already, the improvement Audiolense XO has made is 'night and day'.

So this is more just about having some fun to see if any can be audibly improved, nothing too serious.

But in Post #13 above I don't seem to have the same log step response that you have, even with same settings as you can see in my screenshot.

Is it because you have a different target curve to mine?

Hence simulated will be different?

2234rew

Zoomed in pics attached below.

I've chosen one cycle from 787.25 ms to 787.292 ms = 0.042 ms

Frequency = 1000 / (787.292 ms - 787.25 ms) = 1000 / 0.042 ms = approx. 23 kHz

Is this the right approach?

23kHz seems high? I thought it's more a bass issue?

1 of 4.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

2234rew

I looked at the large cycles (dips) before the step response and calculated

One cycle from 767.2 ms to 778.9 ms = 11.7 ms

frequency = 1000 / 11.7ms = 85 Hz.

Is it these larger/slower cycles (deep bass) that you were referring to as being the main problem?

I don't see corresponding frequency response anomolies at around 85Hz.

Last edited:

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
This is the log step view. This is also relevant. The step is 38 dB down before it rises, which is pretty good.

If you look at the regular step response (step response of simulation plus target) it is easier to asess the most problematic frequencies.

2234rew

If you look at the regular step response (step response of simulation plus target) it is easier to asess the most problematic frequencies.

Hi Bernt, which area should I zoom to see the most problematic frequencies, to do the f = 1000/cycles estimate ?

The red circled or orange circled area?

Thanks again

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Yes a bit of both. Low frequency oscillation (the ellipse area) is where audible problems tend to occur most often. This is looking pretty good, though.

2234rew

Yes a bit of both. Low frequency oscillation (the ellipse area) is where audible problems tend to occur most often. This is looking pretty good, though.

Thanks Bernt. For the bass (ellipse area) problematic frequency works out to be 60-80 Hz

There's nothing in the frequency response in that area that is 'strange' apart from the fact this is crossover region (linear phase XO) with the subwoofer.

I guess I could try some huge bass traps to see if that changes anything after re-measuring. I can ask my dealer if I can borrow some for free, for home trial and re-measure.

One final question about my step response simulation though.

Regarding the below: the pink circled area is obviously the subwoofer.

Is this hump an acoustic 'post ringing' / 'standing wave' issue?

Or is this something I can try to improve in Audiolense? Or not important?

The measurement zip file is attached

Attachments

• Heil 4308 sub-R - 1600Hz XO 08 Apr 21_10 20.measurement.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 15

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
That "hump" is a function of the low frequency roundoff. Some version of it will always be present. A more "low q" target will probably take it down somewhat.

This is imo a very fine result. I would have easily lived with this kind of performance.

Top Bottom