Onkyo RZ50 Owners thread

ddude003

Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX build, Audirvana+, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna & Lumin iApp
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming SwitchLumin U1 Mini Streamer/Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Roon, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
To treat a room below 150Hz is near impossible and very impractical.

Have you wrapped your head around Serkan's Virtual Bass Array filter?

tjcinnamon

Have you wrapped your head around Serkan's Virtual Bass Array filter?
I have (a few times). I don’t run convolution so I haven’t had an opportunity to successfully implement it.

It does address the frequency domain and by proxy the time domain. But passive and active treatments specifically address the decay.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Unless someone in the back skunkworks has been doing A LOT of R&D, I doubt Audyssey has an answer to DL-ART.

They pretty much stopped development 10 years ago when Denon/Marantz purchased the exclusive licence for Audyssey, shutting out other competitors. MQX is just the abilities of the Audyssey installers pro-kit, repackaged for the current series and with a new user interface for the mass market.... nothing new there.

D&M are aware of this, and therefore are opening the window to Dirac....

Dirac have said that if an AVR can do DLBC, then it can do DL-ART.... so there is nothing stopping D&M from providing DL-ART update options in 2024.

In the meantime, Audyssey is a perfectly viable competitor to standard DL, and even to a lesser degree, DLBC.... so it will cover most of the mass market without any trouble.

I expect that DL-ART will be reserved for TOTL hardware, primarily due to its licencing cost.... so Audyssey and MQX will not be under serious pressure for a few years yet.
I agree with this. And while I think DL is better than Audyssey, Audyssey is definitely a very good alternative and perfectly suitable for lots of folks.

The biggest stumbling block for DL is licensing fees… it’s great that Audyssey is still available as a “free” alternative.

Reactions: dlaloum

tjcinnamon

I agree with this. And while I think DL is better than Audyssey, Audyssey is definitely a very good alternative and perfectly suitable for lots of folks.

The biggest stumbling block for DL is licensing fees… it’s great that Audyssey is still available as a “free” alternative.
I personally like Audyssey MQX better. It provides more flexibility or at least has given me better results than Dirac did.

Reactions: Todd Anderson

dlaloum

More  
Integra DTR 70.4
Main Amp
Integra DTR 70.4 / Crown XLS2500
Additional Amp
Quad 606
Computer Audio
HTPC with MediaMonkey
Front Speakers
Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1
Center Channel Speaker
Anthony Gallo Reference AV Center
Surround Speakers
PSB Alpha
Screen
Sony X90H
I personally like Audyssey MQX better. It provides more flexibility or at least has given me better results than Dirac did.
Is that because of a better UI / Sytem process, or because the system is inherently better....?

ie: do you feel it takes longer to get the best possible results from Dirac or Audyssey?

tjcinnamon

Is that because of a better UI / Sytem process, or because the system is inherently better....?

ie: do you feel it takes longer to get the best possible results from Dirac or Audyssey?
It takes much longer for Dirac because it’s a “black box” and yields different results among small changes to calibrations. In my case, witb my AVR, I wasn’t able to adjust gains and timings post calibration. That was an AVR limitations.

The new MQX makes things easier because the work is done in REW and yields near exact results of what REW predicts.

The workflow is nicer too because measurements can be rerun individually or excluded all together and FIR filters are then based on REW measurements.

I can get exactly what I’m looking for out of MQX in a single set of measurements RMS averaged from REW in approx 30 minutes.

This is just my experience, so I’m making no claims that Dirac is authoritatively worse but to your point, I’m able to get what I want easier with more flexibility and ease of change.

And I get dynamic EQ which I’m a huge fan of because I run my subs hot and I like to hear my surrounds at lower volumes.

Reactions: dlaloum
Top Bottom