Office 2.1 system - subwoofer behind my seat

2234rew

Hi @juicehifi and @Mitchco

I have a 2.1 office system but the only place I can have my subwoofer is behind me.

My Earthworks M23 Mic is at the chair and pointing at the speakers.

Which means the subwoofer is behind the mic.

I know subwoofers and great mics are meant to be 'omni-directional'

But when you consider true 'polar plot' of microphones, measurements for a sub 180degrees behind the microphone won't be great, right ?

Reflections will be picked up well but not direct sound ?

Mitchco

@2234rew work has me too busy.

One word: experiment. :cool: Give it a try and see how it integrates in AL sim and how the correction sounds. Try a correction with the chair in the way and one without. Try pointing the mic straight up and use the Earthworks 90 degree generalized mic cal file attached. Typically a mics polar response narrows in the top octave, but I would be surprised if the Earthworks mic was not full omni, especially at 100 Hz and below, regardless of mic orientation.

100 Hz is an 11 foot wavelength and 20 Hz is a 52 foot wavelength. I don't know how big your office is, but I don't think it is going to matter much where the sub is, as long is you get a good integration sim in AL and it sounds good. What me worry. Have fun!

Attachments

• 90_Degree_M_Series_Typical_Response.txt
    4.6 KB · Views: 14

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Sorry for the late response. I expect you to get a good response from a typical mic location regardless of where the sub stays.

Top Bottom