My REW/Correction Journey - COMPLETE Newbie, Need Help

DanDan

Staff member
There are too many factors in the chain to make a quick visual assessment. Perhaps you would read that Measurement Primer. Note the section What to Expect. Also note the we measure L, R, and L+R. Unless the mic is precisely central and the speakers identical and the room symmetrical, you cannot trust L+R. Better to sum or average L and R.

01svtL

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon X3700H
Front Speakers
Helix MTM
Subwoofers
2xRSL 10s MK2, HSU ULS15-MK2
There are too many factors in the chain to make a quick visual assessment. Perhaps you would read that Measurement Primer. Note the section What to Expect. Also note the we measure L, R, and L+R. Unless the mic is precisely central and the speakers identical and the room symmetrical, you cannot trust L+R. Better to sum or average L and R.
Thanks. And when doing subs only, am I right to unplug the speakers? Same with the speakers, unplug subs? Or is there a way to send the sweep to one without the other?

DanDan

Staff member
There is nothing wrong with unplugging, it's just a hard mute.
REW is a testing tool. You appear to be getting good with it, so your questions will all be answered by trying the options and comparing them.

01svtL

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon X3700H
Front Speakers
Helix MTM
Subwoofers
2xRSL 10s MK2, HSU ULS15-MK2
There is nothing wrong with unplugging, it's just a hard mute.
REW is a testing tool. You appear to be getting good with it, so your questions will all be answered by trying the options and comparing them.
But is there a way to send the signal to only speakers or only the sub out without unplugging? Unplugging the subs is quite the pain in my setup. The speakers are easy to get to to unplug.

moedra

Yea I wasn't really looking for feedback in regards to sound. More of: do my graphs look right or does it look like I've not set something up right or I should have unplugged my subs during the speaker sweeps or ...
Should the graph plot that low? Does the overall graph shape look about right for a decent speaker? By all accounts, this design reviewed well by all who heard it, so I'm not concerned about sound. I just want to make sure I'm measuring correctly, otherwise my efforts are pointless.
Just by looking at your overall response curve, which is a smile curve, I'd say you have too much bass. The middle looks scooped out and the highs are pronounced, like the bass is. That's just based on the visual graph, assuming you measured it with a flat reference mic.

DanDan

Staff member
But is there a way to send the signal to only speakers or only the sub out without unplugging? Unplugging the subs is quite the pain in my setup. The speakers are easy to get to to unplug.

I don't know your rig, but many systems have multiple ways to turn things down or off.

Top Bottom