01svtL

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon X3700H
Front Speakers
Helix MTM
Subwoofers
2xRSL 10s MK2, HSU ULS15-MK2
Hi all. I picked up a Denon X3700H for the Audyssey XT32 + app, in hopes of better tuning my setup which consists of 2.3 - Helix Dome MTM L/R flanked by dual RSL Speedwoofers and then an HSU ULS15-MKII in the corner. My connections are both RSL's into a Y plugged into Sub1. The HSU is plugged into Sub 2. I have picked up a UMIK-1 and downloaded REW and installed the UMIK drivers on my laptop, and a DB meter downloaded on my iPhone (Decibel X). I am lost from here, even after watching a few videos. I need it explained to me like I'm 5 - no assumptions that I know what anything is. The guy in one of the videos explaining the sound card calibration part said to plug the output of your interface (my receiver I guess?) into the input of your interface. LOL wut? Plug the output of my receiver into the input of my receiver? Did he misspeak? Also, the menus shown in one of the videos look different than mine, which was even more confusing. I tried to run a few sweeps already and it was a disaster. I'm certain I left a step or three out of the setup procedure.

I want this to serve as my progress thread, kinda like a "build thread" on a car forum. I'm in need of help to get REW set up properly and run and then help analyzing to educate me on what I'm looking at, suggestions for tweaks etc. I'll keep this thread updated as I go.

So, I have my tools. I have the mic drivers installed on my laptop. What's next?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
You must have found a really old video. These days most people are using a USB mic like the UMIK.

A soundcard interface is something like the Focusrite Scarlet 212, which is typically used with a standard measurement mic (meaning, one that attaches with a cable. Since you have the UMIK, you can attach it directly to your laptop. No soundcard calibration is needed.

I suggest finding a video where they’re using a UMIK mic – it should make better sense. If not, get back to us.

Regards,
Wayne

moedra

Hi all. I picked up a Denon X3700H for the Audyssey XT32 + app, in hopes of better tuning my setup which consists of 2.3 - Helix Dome MTM L/R flanked by dual RSL Speedwoofers and then an HSU ULS15-MKII in the corner. My connections are both RSL's into a Y plugged into Sub1. The HSU is plugged into Sub 2. I have picked up a UMIK-1 and downloaded REW and installed the UMIK drivers on my laptop, and a DB meter downloaded on my iPhone (Decibel X). I am lost from here, even after watching a few videos. I need it explained to me like I'm 5 - no assumptions that I know what anything is. The guy in one of the videos explaining the sound card calibration part said to plug the output of your interface (my receiver I guess?) into the input of your interface. LOL wut? Plug the output of my receiver into the input of my receiver? Did he misspeak? Also, the menus shown in one of the videos look different than mine, which was even more confusing. I tried to run a few sweeps already and it was a disaster. I'm certain I left a step or three out of the setup procedure.

I want this to serve as my progress thread, kinda like a "build thread" on a car forum. I'm in need of help to get REW set up properly and run and then help analyzing to educate me on what I'm looking at, suggestions for tweaks etc. I'll keep this thread updated as I go.

So, I have my tools. I have the mic drivers installed on my laptop. What's next?
The first thing I'd do is go through your preferences and set things up according to your own taste. I can show you my screens, which should serve as a good place to start. These are the settings I use every time I do anything with REW.
1676423244792.png

1676423541542.png

1676423579289.png

I don't do anything with the soundcard. Just get the input and output working properly so the mic picks up the signal. I can help more later.

01svtL

More  
Denon X3700H
Front Speakers
Helix MTM
Subwoofers
Alright, so how do I measure JUST my subs? What boxes do I check?

01svtL

More  
Denon X3700H
Front Speakers
Helix MTM
Subwoofers
There aren't any drivers to install for for the UMIK. Are you referring to the UMIK calibration files?
Hi John - sorry, yes I meant the calc files.
You must have found a really old video. These days most people are using a USB mic like the UMIK.

A soundcard interface is something like the Focusrite Scarlet 212, which is typically used with a standard measurement mic (meaning, one that attaches with a cable. Since you have the UMIK, you can attach it directly to your laptop. No soundcard calibration is needed.

I suggest finding a video where they’re using a UMIK mic – it should make better sense. If not, get back to us.

Regards,
Wayne

Alright, I'm not sure what's going on now. If I play ANY audio out on my laptop it goes through my speakers. However, if I generate a tone in REW - nothing. No sound. I'm attaching a screen shot of my preferences.

Attachments

• Preferences.PNG
    Preferences.PNG
    32.6 KB · Views: 28

01svtL

More  
Denon X3700H
Front Speakers
Helix MTM
Subwoofers
Also, I had to set the settings in my laptop to 5.1 in order to make it generate a sound to my sub. Should I set it back to stereo if I'm only running a left and a right as far as speakers go?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Your laptop's surround settings do not affect REW's output. How did you "generate a tone" in REW? If you used Check levels on the soundcard preferences follow the instructions in the help panel and press the "Next" button.

01svtL

More  
Denon X3700H
Front Speakers
Helix MTM
Subwoofers
Your laptop's surround settings do not affect REW's output. How did you "generate a tone" in REW? If you used Check levels on the soundcard preferences follow the instructions in the help panel and press the "Next" button.
I used the "generator" function at the top of the main page.
Gen.PNG

moedra

Hi John - sorry, yes I meant the calc files.

Alright, I'm not sure what's going on now. If I play ANY audio out on my laptop it goes through my speakers. However, if I generate a tone in REW - nothing. No sound. I'm attaching a screen shot of my preferences.
Try setting your output to something that doesn't use exclusive mode. Look and see if you have an option for the device, but without EXCL in the name. You may also need to select the non-EXCL umik-1 also.

01svtL

More  
Denon X3700H
Front Speakers
Helix MTM
Subwoofers
This is the guide I was following exactly. When I got to the ASIO install, I had to skip that part as my work laptop blocked the link for the download. It isn’t necessary right? Shouldn’t I be able to do this w Java also?

DanDan

Staff member
This is the guide I was following exactly. When I got to the ASIO install, I had to skip that part as my work laptop blocked the link for the download. It isn’t necessary right? Shouldn’t I be able to do this w Java also?

That link is to a Primer I wrote who's purpose is to get people up and running without complications. There is no mention of ASIO.

moedra

I have mine set up as shown here.
1676733448794.png

I use the java drivers, but my output can be routed through an ASIO capable device if I want. I happen to be on my laptop at the moment, so output is simply the Realtek sound chip (speakers). I also have the option of using ASIO-4-All as the output, but I tend to avoid that if possible within REW. It's not necessary but it can be used. My input device is either the UMIK-1 or the input channel of my interface (if I have one connected). At the moment it says default device because I don't have anything connected.

01svtL

More  
Denon X3700H
Front Speakers
Helix MTM
Subwoofers

That link is to a Primer I wrote who's purpose is to get people up and running without complications. There is no mention of ASIO.

Oh ok. I thought it was to Jerry's Guide that someone had posted in the thread earlier. Sorry about that. I will take a look!

01svtL

More  
Denon X3700H
Front Speakers
Helix MTM
Subwoofers
I have mine set up as shown here.
View attachment 59468
I use the java drivers, but my output can be routed through an ASIO capable device if I want. I happen to be on my laptop at the moment, so output is simply the Realtek sound chip (speakers). I also have the option of using ASIO-4-All as the output, but I tend to avoid that if possible within REW. It's not necessary but it can be used. My input device is either the UMIK-1 or the input channel of my interface (if I have one connected). At the moment it says default device because I don't have anything connected.
Does this mean you are using headphone out? Does HDMI out of my laptop and into my receiver have any effect on whether I have to choose Java vs ASIO?

01svtL

More  
Denon X3700H
Front Speakers
Helix MTM
Subwoofers
Try setting your output to something that doesn't use exclusive mode. Look and see if you have an option for the device, but without EXCL in the name. You may also need to select the non-EXCL umik-1 also.
I think this was it! I selected the non-Exc option, which I didn't notice the first time. I now have sound through REW. I will attempt to take some measurements later when it's quieter around here. Thank you all for all of your help so far!

Last edited:

moedra

Does this mean you are using headphone out? Does HDMI out of my laptop and into my receiver have any effect on whether I have to choose Java vs ASIO?
Without a dedicated USB DAC or interface, yes you can use the headphone output. But again, as I've said before, all of my processing is done within the OS before it hits the output, so it works just fine.

Last edited:

01svtL

More  
Denon X3700H
Front Speakers
Helix MTM
Subwoofers
Alright, here's what I've got so far. Please provide any feedback you may have. I listen to rock and newer metal, so I tried to tweak a little in the app to bump in the regions for kick drums and snares. I've also been cutting Audyssey off around 1kHz. Reading these graphs, should I raise or lower it?

Left Audyssey Off:

Left AudOff.PNG

Left Audyssey On:
Left AudOn.PNG

My curve after minor tweaks:
Front Curve.PNG

Sub as L+R Audyssey Off:
Sub LR AudOff.PNG

Sub as L+R Audyssey On:
Sub LR AudOn.PNG

My sub curve after minor tweaks
Sub Curve.PNG

Audyssey Before/Afters:
Audyssey Correction.jpg

Sub BeforeAfter.jpg

01svtL

More  
Denon X3700H
Front Speakers
Helix MTM
Subwoofers
Here's Left and Sub overlay, Audyssey applied:
L+Sub.PNG

01svtL

More  
Denon X3700H
Front Speakers
Helix MTM
Subwoofers
@DanDan @moedra @John Mulcahy Any feedback guys? Does it look like I ran these correctly or is something off? I'm running a pair of DIYSG Helix Dome MTM. MLP is about isosceles with a slight toe, so it's about 25 degrees off access. Maybe 20.

DanDan

Staff member
You seem to be on top of it. Do you have a question about some specific aspect?

01svtL

More  
Denon X3700H
Front Speakers
Helix MTM
Subwoofers
You seem to be on top of it. Do you have a question about some specific aspect?
I'm just not sure what the major takeaways should be from my measurements. Do these look like normal graphs? Is there anything glaring or red flags? They are below the target curve shown in black. Does that simply mean my volume setting on the AVR was low? Are there specific points in the Audyssey App curve editor that I should further tweak based on what the REW graph shows?

DanDan

Staff member
Trying to evaluate sound of speakers in rooms via graphs is akin to reading tea leaves. I advocate Testing of changes to see if something is better or not. Using a UMIK-1 with it's Cal File your SPL should be within a dB or two. About 75dBSPL is good.

01svtL

More  
Denon X3700H
Front Speakers
Helix MTM
Subwoofers
Trying to evaluate sound of speakers in rooms via graphs is akin to reading tea leaves. I advocate Testing of changes to see if something is better or not. Using a UMIK-1 with it's Cal File your SPL should be within a dB or two. About 75dBSPL is good.

Yea I wasn't really looking for feedback in regards to sound. More of: do my graphs look right or does it look like I've not set something up right or I should have unplugged my subs during the speaker sweeps or ...
Should the graph plot that low? Does the overall graph shape look about right for a decent speaker? By all accounts, this design reviewed well by all who heard it, so I'm not concerned about sound. I just want to make sure I'm measuring correctly, otherwise my efforts are pointless.

Top Bottom