macOS convolver that works with Audiolense

2234rew

Hi @2234rew

Yes, partially... Up next is a Windows virtual ASIO driver that I am working on. I don't have a firm ETA yet, but likely in a month or two.

As far as WDM on Windows, one really needs a kernel mode driver. Unfortunately, Microsoft (and Apple) have made it virtually impossible to develop unless one is willing to go through their driver certification processes which is both time consuming and expensive. Aside from the fact that low level audio drivers are marvelous fun to develop.

I agree, VB- Virtual Audio Cable is not the easiest to get working and made more complicated that the developer has exposed buffers that need to be tuned, and a resampler in the signal path. I have evaluated several WDM drivers for Windows and can highly recommend: https://www.nerds.de/en/loopbeaudio.html It is a proper kernel mode driver. No buffers to tune, supports up to 24 channels, is low latency, and handy system tray ensures I/O sample rates and bit depths are matched, and already certified by MSFT. While it cost's about $20, it is an excellent low touch and reliable solution.

On the Mac, BlackHole is the defacto standard loopback driver. Devin has done a great job. It is 0ms latency driver and handles as many channels as one wants. I find it very stable and generally with no issues.

Both LoopBeAudio and BlackHole are typically install and forget. While I agree it can be a bit clunky, the cost to develop and certify kernel mode drivers for both platforms is currently prohibitive.
Thanks Mitch! This is huge news

It would significantly reduce the barrier to entry for people wanting room correction applied to system wide audio, in a neat package , compared with current solutions

I don't mind paying $20 for LoopBeAudio but in this case would it be replacing ASIO4ALL ? Just to clarify

I use a Denon AVR as my multichannel DAC and amp (running in Pure Direct mode bypassing all internal DSP)

Denon AVR does not come with a Denon ASIO driver. So for both Audiolense and measurements I use ASIO4ALL which then sees the Denon AVR without problems (WASAPI ? ). It works fine after setting up but again clunky process to setup

BlackHole is terrific on macOS. I recommended it as the solution in this thread i created. It is completely in the background and just works
Thanks!

Last edited:

Mitchco

Sorry @2234rew I could not say. I was just mentioning that if folks were having issues with the Windows audio version of VB-Virtual Audio Cable that LoopBeAudio is a solid alternative.

xiao

Registered
Signalyst HQ Player has its own convolution engine that supports 32 channels, including cross-feed matrixing.

2234rew

Signalyst HQ Player has its own convolution engine that supports 32 channels, including cross-feed matrixing.

Yes but you cannot use it with video sources . It is not a zero latency convolver

On page 1 we discussed the need for zero latency convolver

Top Bottom