How to Setup your TV, HDTV, OLED, LED/LCD (Video Display)

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Other Speakers or Equipment
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
Learn How to Setup your TV, HDTV, OLED TV, LED/LCD TV or any type of Video Display for your Home Theater System.

Source

The source for your display can be your Blu-ray player, a game console (PS3, Xbox), an Over The Air (OTA) antenna, or a cable/satellite box. The key to this is that you want your source to be able to match the resolution of your new display. If your display is capable of displaying a HD image, it would be worthwhile to invest in a Blu-ray player, a HD cable/satellite box or the proper OTA antenna that will get you an HD image. Same goes for 4K – if you have a 4K display, you should invest in a 4K Blu-ray player

Connection

Connection should be made using an HDMI cable for a HD display. This will provide you with the proper digital signal that your display expects. HDMI cable can be quite expensive at local stores so you may want to look into purchasing one from one of the various online retailers who sell them at a significant savings. Avoid the higher cost cables as they are rarely worth it.

There is no need for a special HDMI cable for 4K/HDR. If your cable is a high speed cable (most cables sold in the last 4 years) then you should be fine. The only hitch would be if the cable run is over a long distance – say 20 feet or more. Then you may want to do your research and invest in a high quality cable that will work with 4K/HDR. We have a thread here on this particular subject.

Aspect Ratio/Resolution

New displays are capable of 4K, 1080p, 1080i, and 720p resolutions. For your source output, we would recommend setting all cable, FIOS, all satellite boxes and BD players to "Native output" and let your TV and or audio receiver do all the scaling. The reason is the cable/FIOS/Satellite boxes have very low cost (low quality) internal video processing, whereas most audio receivers and TVs have better video processing.

The aspect ratio of newer displays is 16:9. This can sometimes be labeled as HD in some menu systems. You want the image to be displayed properly therefore some ratios such as zoom and full should be avoided.

Picture Presets or Picture Modes

Today's displays contain various preset picture modes. They usually include something along the lines of Dynamic/Vivid, Standard, User and Cinema/Movie. Higher end displays will also have a THX and/or an ISF setting(s). If your display supports HDR, it will also have a HDR setting.

The Dynamic setting is generally a higher brightness, contrast and sharpness mode which, in my experience, results in an overall bluish look to the image. This is usually a setting that would be favored by video games and rooms with a lot of ambient lighting.

Standard setting will have a little less brightness and contrast than Dynamic.

Cinema/Movie mode would have brightness, contrast and sharpness set to a more realistic value for a more realistic look. This would probably be the closest mode to the Rec. 709 standards without calibrating anything.

User mode would be a mode that can be changed, either through calibration with a meter or by eye, and then sometimes named by the end user as their preferred mode.

THX mode - from THX's web site:

Quote:

In the studio, every shadow, color and detail is carefully adjusted to deliver the right mood and impact. Only THX Certified plasmas, LCDs and projectors, featuring THX Movie Mode, let you recreate this experience at home with the push of a button.

What Does It Mean To Be THX Certified?

It means each TV and projector has gone through a rigorous design and laboratory testing process, which includes more than 400 data points to ensure exceptional image quality and signal processing performance in your home theater.

What Are The Key Benefits Of THX Certification?

Exclusive THX Movie Mode: Comes as close as possible to reproducing the HD Color Standard used by filmmakers in the studio with THX Movie Mode.

Smooth motion for every type of content: THX certification improves de-interlacing and scaling performance, ensuring smooth motion for action-oriented content.

Optimized video scaling: Presents all content in the best resolution possible, including standard definition video.

Color, Black Levels And Beyond In Your Home Theater

Sports fans and home theater junkies often complain of jaggy lines and image softening when a TV’s motion becomes too intense. THX works closely with manufacturers to minimize these types of distracting artifacts, letting you experience clean, smooth motion and vivid colors with every frame.

While the THX mode is calibrated at the factory, the environment where this is done is probably very different from your environment. At a minimum, we'd recommend white/black level calibration using one of the discs mentioned in this thread.​

HDR mode will set the display to the optimal setting for viewing HDR content. There are different flavors of HDR and you can research that here.

Picture Controls - Display Adjustment

There are a myriad of settings within new display's menu settings. The general consensus among video enthusiasts and professionals is that any specialty functions such as Auto Black, Expanded Black, Black Corrector, Automatic Contrast, Dynamic Contrast, Dynamic Range, Auto Color, ACL, Auto Flesh Tone, etc. be shut off unless you really think it will improve your overall picture. Keep in mind that in doing so it will counteract any image fidelity you hope to achieve. There can also be one or more of some sort of motion control type of setting(s) too. These will usually be labeled as "motion smoothing", "motion interpolation", "tru-motion", etc. Shut all of these off or you'll risk the soap opera effect on your image. The controls that can and should be adjusted are Brightness, Contrast, Color, Tint, and Sharpness. Some LCD/LED and OLED panels also contain an adjustment call Backlight. This will be discussed at the end of this section. Optimization discs used for adjustments include the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark, Disney's World of Wonder (WoW), and DVE HD Basics.

Brightness

Contrary to what most people think, brightness actually controls the black levels of your display. This should be adjusted using one of the calibration discs or the THX Optimizer available on many dvd/blu-ray discs already released. Most discs have this labeled as 'Brightness'. Spears & Munsil has it labeled 'PLUGE Low'. PLUGE stands for Picture Line-Up Generation Equipment. Here's how the various brightness patterns look.

Keep in mind that these are screen grabs from my home theater projector. They may appear differently than they should on your display. You should also keep in mind that your computer monitor may not display these images correctly either.

Spears & Munsil:

Disney's WoW:

DVE HD Basics:

Here's what the pattern will look like when brightness is set too high on the Spears & Munsil disc:

Brightness should be set in the above image so that the 0% (16) bar blends in with the background. This should make the two bars to the left disappear and the bar to the right (1%) should be barely visible.

SpectraCal Video on Brightness - Spectracal has a series of videos up on Youtube hosted by Michael Chen describing how and why to set these basic things on your display. Here's the first one on Brightness:

Brightness.mov - YouTube

Contrast

Contrast is the white level setting. On some sets (Sony for instance) this can also be labeled as Picture. Michael Chen (michael tlv), an instructor for both THX and ISF video calibration courses, puts three rules to calibrating your white levels - no clipping, no discoloration, and no eye fatigue. Clipping occurs when you're contrast is set too high causing white levels in the upper area to blend in with those that are of a lower value. For instance, 229-235 white all blend in with 228 white. Discoloration occurs when you see any hint of color (usually pink) within the upper white levels. This is generally caused by contrast being set too high. The third rule is no eye fatigue. Eye fatigue should be checked with a 100% white window box image. If viewing that image causes fatigue (do you think it's too bright or that it hurts your eyes), your contrast is set too high. This can also be set using a meter. The general rule of thumb for this is to set it from 35-50fL. This can be display dependent in that a front projection system should be set from 12-16fL while an LED/LCD can be around 50fL. It's also important to note that this is user dependent as well. If 35fL is causing you eye strain, turn the contrast down until it's at a more comfortable value.

The pattern for Contrast will look like this on the various discs:

Spears & Munsil:

Disney WoW:

DVE HD Basics:

SpectraCal videos on Contrast

Contrast(Part-1).mov - YouTube

Contrast(Part-2).mov - YouTube

Color/Tint

Color - This can sometimes be labeled 'Saturation'. Adjustments by eye alone can be difficult but what you would look for are over saturated skin tones (red faces) or cartoon type color image. If you have no calibration disc with the blue filter, your best option would be to set your display to it's Cinema, Movie, or THX mode and leave well enough alone. Some sets will have something called 'Blue Only' mode. This would replace the blue filter and allow you to adjust color and tint properly with a SMPTE color bar pattern displayed. With the blue filter and the color bar pattern, you want to adjust color until the blue and white bar match each other while looking through the blue filter.

Tint - This can also be labeled as 'Hue'. Tint is pretty much the same as color - if you don't have a meter or a disc, leave it alone. To adjust it with a disc you will need either the blue filter or a 'Blue Only' mode on your display. With the blue filter and the color bar pattern, you want to adjust tint until the cyan and magenta bar match each other while looking through the blue filter.

Spears & Munsil

Disney WoW - there are different images for the beginner portion of the disc. They are just real life images with skin tones and fruit/vegetables in them that you use to adjust the image to what your eye thinks is correct. I don't recommend this. Use the advanced image for Color/Tint, which is shown below, with the included blue filter or with your display set to blue only mode.

DVE HD Basics:

Verify your color adjustments with a known image. There are some reference images on each of the discs that you can use if you don't have something handy.

SpectraCal video on Color/Tint

Color and Tint.mov - YouTube

Sharpness

Also known as artificial edge enhancement, sharpness should be set as low as possible. Set too high, sharpness can cause something called the halo effect. One of the better ways to check for this is to use a scene with the edge of a building in it. You will usually see a ghost line next to the edge of the building. Using the patterns on the calibration discs, when sharpness is set too high you will see a glowing (white) line or a halo next to the black lines. Set too high, sharpness actually results in less detail on your display. The procedure for setting sharpness using the patterns that follow is to set sharpness to a high setting that results in the haloing effect. Then turn it down until the halo/white glow goes away.

Spears & Munsil:

Disney's WoW:

DVE HD Basics:

SpectraCal video on Sharpness

Sharpness.mov - YouTube

Gamma

Gamma is probably best explained at this Wikipedia page. Recommended gamma values for your display vary from 2.2-2.5 depending upon your environment's variables. Gamma cannot be adjusted by eye. It requires a meter to read the luminance of grayscale images.

There is a Gamma image on the Disney WoW disc but I didn't get a shot of it. And I never have checked to see if it matches up with measured readings from a meter or not, but I may get to it next week.

Backlight

Backlight is a value inherent to LCD/LED display technology. Normally this setting would be very high OOTB (Out Of The Box). Reducing it will alleviate both eyestrain and your electric bill. My Sony LED's backlight is set to 0. My LG OLED65C7P varies depending upon which picture mode I'm using. For HDR I believe it's around 80 and ISF Dark is down around 40 IIRC.

Room Considerations

You'll want to avoid glare and/or reflections from either daylight or room lighting. If possible, place the display in an area that will be affected the least by these issues. Use blackout curtains or shades if reflection from daylight is bothersome to you. It's also important to remember not to view your display in a totally dark environment. That is not good for your eyes. If you want to have the room as dark as possible, we suggest investing in a back light for your display.

An excellent article on 'The Importance of Viewing Environment Conditions in a Reference Display System' by Alan Brown.

Advanced

DIY Calibration with a meter/software

DIY Guide coming soon here to AV NIRVANA!

Advanced Calibration from a professional

If you are looking for a Professional Calibration, we suggest looking into one of the individuals listed in this thread. If you cannot find someone in that thread you can always start up a new thread in the Video Calibration forum asking for recommendations. THX has a list of their certified calibrators maintained here.

This is a work in progress - I'll be adding to it over time.

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Very nice writeup. Very good info.

Question..
Is there something hanging in front of the screens (middle top) from the exterior of the screen?

hanging.JPG

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
Yep, it's my WhiBal gray card. I use it to white/gray balance the shots. If I didn't, they'd all have a bluish hue to them.

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Cool. Thanks for the clarification. I didn't notice it in the write up so thought to ask. :)

JimShaw

VIP Supporter
More  
Denon X7200WA
Oppo UHD-203
Front Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Center Channel Speaker
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Back Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Rear Height Speakers
(Wides) SpeakerCraft Time5
Subwoofers
SVS PB13-Ultra
(Two) HSU MBM-12 MK2
Video Display Device
Sony XBR-75Z9D and LG OLED55E6P
Remote Control
Harmony 1100 and Harmony Elite
I have a question and hope this is the correct forum

Is it better for PQ to run 4K HDR movies direct from the player to the TV bypassing the AVR and sound from the player to the AVR vs running everything through the AVR? Or, if there is a difference, it's so minimal not to make a difference?

I've read a lot about HDR metadata (I'm truly a novice) and wondered if running direct to the TV is best???????

My set up is:
Oppo 203, Denon X7200WA, calibrated Sony 75Z9D

Last edited:

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Nice write up Steve...

I'd like to add (for set up) to get in the menu and turn off any frame interpolation or smooth motion modes. Nearly every TV ships from the factory with these engaged, I'd highly recommend using the TV with them set to "off" in the beginning. :T

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I have a question and hope this is the correct forum

Is it better for PQ to run 4K HDR movies direct from the player to the TV bypassing the AVR and sound from the player to the AVR vs running everything through the AVR? Or, if there is a difference, it's so minimal not to make a difference?

I've read a lot about HDR metadata (I'm truly a novice) and wondered if running direct to the TV is best???????

My set up is:
Oppo 203, Denon X7200WA, calibrated Sony 75Z9D

Short answer is: No. Assuming your AVR is HDR compliant, you should be fine. Your OPPO 203 gives you the option to dump video direct to your TV/Projector while supplying a separate HDMI 1.4 output for audio only. That's included so folks with legacy gear (HDMI 1.4 gear) can keep their AVR ;-)

Now, a slightly more complicated answer is: Maybe. If you're experiencing nasty HDMI handshake issues when it comes to video, you might find that running direct from your OPPO to your TV will help expedite the handshake process. No guarantees, but taking one more device out the HDMI chain (especially if your AVR doesn't have current firmware... or firmware updated as recently as your OPPO or TV).

JimShaw

VIP Supporter
More  
Denon X7200WA
Oppo UHD-203
Front Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Center Channel Speaker
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Back Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Rear Height Speakers
(Wides) SpeakerCraft Time5
Subwoofers
SVS PB13-Ultra
(Two) HSU MBM-12 MK2
Video Display Device
Sony XBR-75Z9D and LG OLED55E6P
Remote Control
Harmony 1100 and Harmony Elite
Short answer is: No. Assuming your AVR is HDR compliant, you should be fine. Your OPPO 203 gives you the option to dump video direct to your TV/Projector while supplying a separate HDMI 1.4 output for audio only. That's included so folks with legacy gear (HDMI 1.4 gear) can keep their AVR ;-)

Now, a slightly more complicated answer is: Maybe. If you're experiencing nasty HDMI handshake issues when it comes to video, you might find that running direct from your OPPO to your TV will help expedite the handshake process. No guarantees, but taking one more device out the HDMI chain (especially if your AVR doesn't have current firmware... or firmware updated as recently as your OPPO or TV).

Todd

Thanks

No handshake problems and the AVR is compliant. Everything works perfectly.

I would rather run everything through the AVR but kept reading from the "experts" regarding HDR metadata and the problems running through an AVR.

I won't worry/think about it again and tomorrow I'll switch the player 100% through the AVR.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
If you're not experiencing a problem, don't think twice about doing it.

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
Steve, thats a great write up! I need to get myself one of thos S&M calibration Blurays. Is there a good place to buy them from that is a bit better for price?

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
A new 4K HDR disc created by Joe Kane is going to be released REALLY soon. I don't think anything has been pubically announced yet... I'll get some info.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
Nice write up Steve...

I'd like to add (for set up) to get in the menu and turn off any frame interpolation or smooth motion modes. Nearly every TV ships from the factory with these engaged, I'd highly recommend using the TV with them set to "off" in the beginning. :T

Adding! :T

Actually, it's already in there. :T Under Picture Controls - Display Adjustments.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Ah... didn't see that. ;-)

Top Bottom