How to Get REW to See 16 Channels From Processor While Windows Limit is 8 Channels

Bayilo Kanto

What driver to use in Windows 10 environment so REW can see 16 channels from an Emotiva RCM-1L processor? If the Dirac Live software installed on a Windows 10 computer can see all the 16 channels why can't REW see the same as Dirac Live does?

sam_adams

The Dirac Live Engine is built-in to the RMC-1L so the Dirac Live software running on your computer can access it directly. You probably need to install ASIO4All or FlexASIO so that REW can access the additional channels.

Bayilo Kanto

ASIO4ALL is limited with 8 channels in Windows 10. I have never used FlexASIO. I guess ASIO4ALL maps only the channels based on the hardware (soundcard) as presented by Windows. I think in order to get to all 16 channels, perhaps Emotiva should release their own customized ASIO driver. I might be wrong. However, I wanted just to check if there are some other drivers available that can make REW see all 16 channels present in the RMC-1L processor.

sam_adams

About the channel limit, I seem to recall that some time ago a Windows 10 update enabled Dolby Atmos on Windows. It was supposed to provide native 7.1.4 channel support. It might have been on Windows Creators Edition or was a Creators update—something like that. There is also supposed to be a Windows app that allows you to configure your Windows install to take full advantage of 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos when connected to an AVR. You might want to search a bit and see what you find. Let us know if you find anything.

Bayilo Kanto

I have been using the Dolby Atmos including the Dolby Access app in my Windows 10 Pro (latest update) computer. The Dolby Atmos in Windows relies on only the 8 channels (7.1) made available by Windows. For all the extra speakers (x.x.4), the Dolby Atmos sends metadata directly to the processor via HDMI.

Since I have been trying to get REW to see all the 16 channels offered by the Emotiva RMC-1L processor, so far only the audio driver generated by the JRiver Media Center software has been able to make REW see all the 16 channels. However, they (channels) cannot get tested because the JRiver driver does not include any audio input when loaded in REW Preference's page.

I guess I would be able to test the 16 channels only if the JRiver driver gets updated to include an input channel for the mic or if REW could load simultaneously both the JRiver driver (for speaker output) and another audio input driver, for example the realtek audio driver (for the mic input).

Top Bottom