Export IR just as EQ curve (no accoustic component)

kingkorg

Registered
Hello kind people of this amazing forum.

I've been trying to figure this out for a while without success.

Is there a way to export the measured response as an IR but without room accoustics (time domain-reverberation) component.

I would like to use a measured curve as an eq curve in my daw with a IR loader.

I hope that makes sense, and you get what i mean by this.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The IR is the time domain response. To exclude some content you could alter the windows that are applied to the IR, adding a Frequency-dependent window to focus on the direct sound or using a narrower time domain (right hand) window the exclude some reflections, but either way the frequency response will be altered correspondingly.

kingkorg

Registered
Yup i got that one, but that inevitably gives me "smoothed" and inacurate/limited bass response. So i guess it's not possible.

I managed to export response to csv, and import it to Voxengo Curve EQ. However i needed to convert the csv to a csv format Voxengo Curve EQ will understand, so it's not that straightforward either.

I guess this could serve as an idea for some future version, if that is even posible with IRs. I guess it should be, if i measure a hardware eq, no matter how complex the curve i can easily export the ir, which logically has no "reverberation" in it.

Thanks for the help, and amazing software!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The frequency response and the IR are just different views of the same thing. The frequency response is the magnitude of the FFT of the IR, the reverberant components contribute some of the peaks in the frequency response. In that context it doesn't really make sense to talk about removing the reverberant parts if what you want is the room's response, since they are part of the response. A sharp peak in an EQ filter has the same slow decay as a sharp peak of the same magnitude and bandwidth in a room response. Filter IRs have much the same characteristics as room IRs if they have the same frequency response, only really differing due to the room's non minimum phase regions.

kingkorg

Registered
@John Mulcahy I landed at using export frequency response as text option, and renaming it to a csv file. However to be able to use it in Voxengo CurveEq i have to manually remove the phase column in a csv editor. So here's an idea if you find it interesting. Maybe have a check box for inclusion of the phase column in the exported text file?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Make the measurement you want to export the only selection on the All SPL graph then use "Average the responses", that will produce a magnitude-only response which has no phase data when exported.

DanDan

Staff member
@John Mulcahy I landed at using export frequency response as text option, and renaming it to a csv file. However to be able to use it in Voxengo CurveEq i have to manually remove the phase column in a csv editor. So here's an idea if you find it interesting. Maybe have a check box for inclusion of the phase column in the exported text file?

IMO REW has an Acoustic Labs worth of facilities already. Such and addition would hardly be used by many. But something to think about...... does Eq have an IR?

Top Bottom