Error messages after measuring

chrismeraz

Guys, do you ever get these errors? I get them after every single measurement. I just close them and ignore them, there's nothing wrong with any of my measurements and I can continue making measurements. It's just a pain to have to close them after each measurement.

I'm on a PC with Windows 10, using Universal Audio Apollo on Thunderbolt 3 connection and the ASIO driver in REW. Any idea what might be wrong?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Could anything else be altering the card's settings? Generally wouldn't expect a resync request from an ASIO driver unless the buffer size or sample rate has changed.

JoeyCrash2

Registered
This happens constantly for me and has for years, despite upgrading from 5.20 update 6 all the way to the latest 5.20 RC2. Also Windows 10 with UAD Apollo 8 with Thunderbolt 3 and ASIO choice in REW. Sometimes I can get it to work if I reload the driver, or cancel the current process and try it again, or close and re-open REW. But a lot of times it just won't work at all. I don't know what I'm missing or setting wrong, but I've tried every combination of buffer size and sample rate I can come up with and it always does this. I've tried completely uninstalling and re-installing the UAD drivers and this has been an issue through several driver versions.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There must be something REW is doing that the UAD driver doesn't like, but their stuff is much too expensive for me to buy one of their interfaces just to find out.

tremayne

Registered
Hi I have the exact same issue. I just want to make a measurement and I can't even get past calibrating the soundcard, I am constantly getting the "ASIO Device Reset" message. I have a UA Apollo Solo connected by Thunderbolt 3 to my PC running Windows 10. I've installed the latest beta version of REW v 5.2. I've played around with 44.1khz, 48, 96, 192. And at different buffer settings from 128 to 2048. Nothing seems to work. Below are screenshots of my settings.

Is this a known issue using this setup?

sam_adams

To eliminate other possible issues, make sure that you have the latest UAD software installed.

Check your PC manufacturer's site to see if there are driver or firmware updates for the Thunderbolt implementation on your PC.

Try disabling all other audio interfaces in Device Manager.

In the Windows audio settings there is a setting that allows apps to have exclusive access to an audio device. Try enabling that setting for the Apollo.

Try setting the Secondary Output to Mon R and the Timing Reference Output to Mon R.

Use an Acoustic timing reference instead of a loopback timing reference.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I have ordered an Apollo Solo to see if I can work out what is going on with the drivers.

tremayne

Registered
Ok great thank you John for checking this out!

Sam, thanks for all the suggestions. I tried them all, I even updated my MB bios which I noticed was not up to date. Still get the same issues. Hopefully John can figure out what's going on when he gets the Apollo.

Bernard

What is the processor used with your motherboard?
What is the brand of your pc?
Have you consulted the UAD forum?
AMD and Dell XPS don't seem to get along well with UAD.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You may find the WDM drivers are OK in the meantime, the Java drivers option uses those. Note, however, that you have to use the UAD console to set the sample rate you want to use then set the same sample rate for the default format in the Windows Sound properties for the input and output.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I have received the Apollo Solo, the USB version (since my PCs do not have Thunderbolt ports). Works fine at 48 kHz with Java and ASIO drivers, and I also tried ASIO at 96 kHz and 192 kHz and still fine. Below are my ASIO settings (for 48 kHz, didn't change anything for 96k or 192k) and the UAD system info, I'm running 9.13.0. The only problem I have seen with it is a considerable lightening of my wallet :)

Universal Audio Inc.
UAD System Info Date: 26 Feb 2021 10:21:49pm
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
UAD Software

UAD Software Release Version: 9.13.0
UAD-2 Engine Version: 9.13.0 build 1029
UAD Hardware

Number of Devices: 1

Device # : 1
Device Type: Apollo Solo USB - SOLO
UAD-2 driver version: 9.13.1029
DSP Bootloader version: 5.01.004
DSP Framework version: 9.14.28800
FPGA version: 11.41268
Microprocessor version: 1.16.010 STM
USB Firmware Version: 1.02.002
USB Firmware API Version: 1.002
USB SDK Version: 1.03.04.040

Host System Info

OS Version: Windows 10
CPU: 1784 MHz (x8)

RAM: 8110 MB

tremayne

Registered
Hi John, thanks for testing it out, and sorry for making you dish out your wallet! I guess it must be something in my setup. I am using thunderbolt. To answer Bernard's question, I have a custom built PC. My MB is the MSI z490-a pro and I have a Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0 thunderbolt card connected to it. The Apollo seems to work fine in general connected to it.

I've been playing around, and I managed to get a flat frequency response using version 5.19 and the ASIO driver (the Java driver gives me erratic results). I think the order in which I set the sample rates in the UAD console, REW and Windows had an effect. I also think I needed to turn the volume down on the input of the UAD console. But when I try using version 5.2, I cannot get it to work. I tried using the Java drivers, and each time I get erratic results in the frequency response. Using the ASIO drivers I continue to get the error messages and cannot even do the test.

Bernard

Hi trewayne,
I would try to disable the Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0 thunderbolt card and plug the UAD Solo into the USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps Type C port on the rear I/O panel of the MB.
You have to work as simply as possible.
Put your pc in air mode to stay confined at home, check if all audio enhancements are disabled in Windows sound properties and that channel 2 is enabled.
Choose a 48 kHz sample rate.
That's it for me. Good luck !

sm52

tremayne
what does 6: Virtual 2 mean in Loopback Input? Is this a virtual loopback? If so, try physically making a loop with a cable with connectors. And specify the physically existing input and output for the loop.
Further. Loss of REW connection to ASIO often happens after the computer goes to sleep. Or if the USB driver is set to disable the USB device to save power. Ditto for Thunderbolt. It's in Device Manager - USB (Thunderbolt) controllers. And check in recording devices and playback devices that your interface is the default device, also on the 'advanced' tab for the interface, the sampling rate should be 44.1 (if in REW 44.1), and there should be a checkmark 'allow applications to use the device in exclusive mode' for recording and for playback.

Bernard

Tremayne,

Don't use 44.1 kHz sample rate and follow the settings of post #13.
One day, someone said to me:
" It is worth noting that on Windows Java drivers are limited to 16 bit data, whereas ASIO will usually use 24-bit, so better using ASIO. Using ASIO will also ensure the card is operating at the requested sample rate, with Java drivers it is necessary to change the card sample rate in the Windows audio properties when changing it in REW, otherwise the OS will resample the data. "
It makes life easier.

EarlK

My guess ( fwiw ) is that the problem is due to a data fumble occurring between Java's JRE and the Thunderbolt hardwares' multiplexing software layer .

Unfortunately, only continued monitoring ( for any + all ) other REW failures that involve Thunderbolt type Interfaces will begin to shed light on determining the real issue.

:)

tremayne

Registered
Hi trewayne,
I would try to disable the Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0 thunderbolt card and plug the UAD Solo into the USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps Type C port on the rear I/O panel of the MB.
You have to work as simply as possible.
Put your pc in air mode to stay confined at home, check if all audio enhancements are disabled in Windows sound properties and that channel 2 is enabled.
Choose a 48 kHz sample rate.
That's it for me. Good luck !

Hi Bernard, I cannot use the USB port because the Apollo is a Thunderbolt only interface. So it will only work connected through the Gigabyte card. I've disabled all other audio interfaces and there are no enhancements available in Windows sound properties. I'm not sure what you mean by making sure channel 2 is enabled?

tremayne
what does 6: Virtual 2 mean in Loopback Input? Is this a virtual loopback? If so, try physically making a loop with a cable with connectors. And specify the physically existing input and output for the loop.
Further. Loss of REW connection to ASIO often happens after the computer goes to sleep. Or if the USB driver is set to disable the USB device to save power. Ditto for Thunderbolt. It's in Device Manager - USB (Thunderbolt) controllers. And check in recording devices and playback devices that your interface is the default device, also on the 'advanced' tab for the interface, the sampling rate should be 44.1 (if in REW 44.1), and there should be a checkmark 'allow applications to use the device in exclusive mode' for recording and for playback.

Hi sm52, I didn't mean to select Virtual 2 as the loopback. The test I did was a physical loopback connection from the L output to the L input (Ch. 1).

I don't see my Thunderbolt card in the Device Manager under USB. I do see it under 'Audio DSP Accelerator' and 'Audio inputs and outputs', but there is no power management tab for either of these devices in their properties. See below.

In Windows sound properties I have the Thunderbolt as the default device and all other devices are disabled. The sample rate I have set at 96 kHz in the advanced tab which is the same rate set in my UAD console and REW. There is also a checkmark under 'allow applications to use the device in exclusive mode' for recording and for playback. See below.

Bernard

It's high time for me to return to retirement state for good.
The shape of the USB-C plug I had in mind misled me.
UAD SOLO TB3 USB3.png

sm52

tremayne,
On the 'Recording' tab is the same 'default' device?
How is your 'Universal Audio' connected to your computer? USB or computer has 'Thunderbolt' connector?
What is the ASIO buffer size for 96 kHz?

tremayne

Registered
It's high time for me to return to retirement state for good.
The shape of the USB-C plug I had in mind misled me.
View attachment 39687

Hi Bernard, yes it does have the same shape to plug it in. But the TB3 needs a Thunderbolt card and a Thunderbolt cable to work. The reason why I bought this one was so I could use it also with a Mac, in case I decided to switch to one in the future. Also the ability of the Thunderbolt to power it had intrigued me. But it was difficult to find a Thunderbolt card compatible with my MB. I probably should have just gone with the USB version.

tremayne,
On the 'Recording' tab is the same 'default' device?
How is your 'Universal Audio' connected to your computer? USB or computer has 'Thunderbolt' connector?
What is the ASIO buffer size for 96 kHz?

Hi sm52, yes, on the recording side it is the default device and all other devices were disabled. The UAD is connected through the Thunderbolt, it will not work through USB. I'm using a buffer size of 512. See below.

sam_adams

The reason why I bought this one was so I could use it also with a Mac, in case I decided to switch to one in the future. Also the ability of the Thunderbolt to power it had intrigued me. But it was difficult to find a Thunderbolt card compatible with my MB.

I was wondering why you didn't go with the MSI M3 Thunderbolt card.

tremayne

Registered
I was wondering why you didn't go with the MSI M3 Thunderbolt card.

Actually I tried to find that card but it was sold out everywhere. I emailed MSI multiple times to ask if they still sold it and if not, asked if there was a compatible option, but they never replied. So as far as I know they discontinued it. The only other card I could find that had the right connector to my MB was the Gigabyte one.

sm52

I'm using a buffer size of 512.
For 96 kHz, this may not be enough. Try to do 1024. Check 48 kHz + 1024.
But the biggest suspicion is Java + Thunderbolt. It seems to me that they have no friendship.

Top Bottom