Dutch & Dutch 8c EQ

frangle

More  
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo BDP-105
Front Speakers
Dutch & Dutch 8c
Hi

I saw a description of an EQ process for the D&D 8c speaker on the beta help page but I notice that it isn't an option in the dialogs in the help page or the software EQ or preferences (REW 5.20 Beta 39).

Have I missed something or is this yet to be implemented?

Thanks

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Integration is working well, I believe D&D are making plans for releasing the REW support along with various other firmware changes they have made.

SatBox

Hi,

I installed the new D&D firmware (1.4.57) allowing the integration with REW but REW cannot connect to the speakers.

REW (5.2 beta 58) is running on a MPB (Catalina 10.15.6) and I’m trying to connect to the speakers via WiFi. From the same MBP, I can ping the speakers, all is on the same network. I also tried to disable the firewall on the MBP.

Any idea what goes wrong? Thank you!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There doesn't seem to be any inherent issue, just checked with a Mac mini running 10.15.6 and all worked OK. Firewall is turned off on that machine.
You can look in (or compress and attach) the REW log files folder to see if anything relevant has been captured:

REW saves diagnostic logs in the user's home directory, the location is displayed in the Help -> About REW window. The logs contain information from the last 10 startups, including any error messages or warnings that may have been generated. On macOS the logs are in the user library folder, which no longer appears in Finder by default. To display it either browse to ~/Library/Logs or open your Home folder in Finder (Shift Command + H), select View > Show View Options then select the checkbox to show the library folder.

SatBox

Hi John,

Thank you for your answer.

Attached the log files. Nothing special I think, except the fact that REW cannot connect to the speakers...

Attachments

• rew_output.txt
    105 bytes · Views: 18
  • roomeq_wizard0.log.txt
    147 bytes · Views: 17

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Indeed, no clues there. Could try an adaptor and a wired connection to the network, but that shouldn't really make any difference.

SatBox

Indeed, with my MBP connected to the network with ethernet cable, I still have the issue.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Firewall activity of some sort is the most likely cause. Multicast DNS Service Discovery is used to find the speakers, if the request or the responses are blocked REW will not find anything.

SatBox

I tried to install REW in a virtual Windows machine (Parallels Desktop) on my MBP and it works...

Do you think that an uninstall/install of REW can help?

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Shouldn't make any difference, but a reinstall would mark it as a new app so any firewall rules stopping the current installation might not apply.

SatBox

Indeed, after uninstall/install, no difference. If REW can access the 8C's when it is running on a Windows virtual machine on the same computer, it means that something is blocking the access on MacOS but what? That's the question...

Last edited:

Burkut

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Lindemann Music Book,Roon Nuc
Main Amp
Absolare
Additional Amp
Quad II 80
Other Amp
none
none
Front Speakers
Cube Audio Nenuphar,Dutch&Dutch 8C
Center Channel Speaker
none
Surround Speakers
none
Surround Back Speakers
none
Front Height Speakers
none
Rear Height Speakers
none
Subwoofers
none
Other Speakers or Equipment
none
Video Display Device
none
Screen
none
Remote Control
none
Streaming Subscriptions
none
Thank you for making great software. Using it for my hifi setup for 2 years.
But I think there is bug on Mac version.

Tried to .56 and 58 beta version few times, clean installs etc. to calibrate my Dutch and Dutch 8C speakers but can’t find my speakers under measurement playback 8C drop down menu.
Running Mac OS Catalina 10.15.6.
One time I saw Rew pop up and asked for network connection. But it is ready online and can check updates etc. Any idea ? Also tired allow all incoming connections on firewall.

In the same network I download windows version and it finds the speaker every time.
Do we need special java install for REW ?

Thanks,

Hakan

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Hi Hakan,

REW needs access to the local network to find speakers on it, if it isn't given that permission it won't be able to find anything. That is not the same as having an internet connection.

Burkut

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Absolare
Additional Amp
Quad II 80
Other Amp
none
none
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
none
Surround Speakers
none
Surround Back Speakers
none
Front Height Speakers
none
Rear Height Speakers
none
Subwoofers
none
none
Video Display Device
none
Screen
none
Remote Control
none
Streaming Subscriptions
none
Hi Hakan,

REW needs access to the local network to find speakers on it, if it isn't given that permission it won't be able to find anything. That is not the same as having an internet connection.
Hi, i believe it has, cause I can select and save the calibration files over network.
It is a basic install, all programs are open to the network and internet unless I do the opposite.
Is there any way the check it ?
thanks,
Hakan

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Saving files is also a different kind of access than allowing local network communications. There might be some setting in the Mac's firewall controls affecting whether REW is permitted the access it needs, but I am not familiar with Mac firewalls.

SatBox

I do not think that the issue cause is the firewall because even when it is totally disabled, REW cannot connect to the 8c’s

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Hakan did mention getting a prompt for network access though, so in his case that may be a factor. If he didn't allow it that answer will have had some effect.

SatBox

Strange, I never saw an app running on Mac OS asking for a network access. Maybe Hakan uses a third party firewall?
As far as I know, there is only one way to remove a network access to an app in Mac OS: via the firewall.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I 'm guessing the prompt came up when REW tried to access the local network, that's what happens if the Windows firewall is enabled. REW itself doesn't generate a prompt.

Burkut

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Absolare
Additional Amp
Quad II 80
Other Amp
none
none
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
none
Surround Speakers
none
Surround Back Speakers
none
Front Height Speakers
none
Rear Height Speakers
none
Subwoofers
none
none
Video Display Device
none
Screen
none
Remote Control
none
Streaming Subscriptions
none
Strange, I never saw an app running on Mac OS asking for a network access. Maybe Hakan uses a third party firewall?
As far as I know, there is only one way to remove a network access to an app in Mac OS: via the firewall.
Hi SatBox,
Using standart Mac OS firewall, it was the first time I saw that permission pop up. Worked only once. Today I disabled the firewall. Same result. I can't see 8C's on REW.
We are having the same problem : ), Hope we can find a solution cause I really want to hear how they will sound after calibration

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW is a signed and notarized app, so it shouldn't be blocked by the firewall, but it may help to manually add REW to the list of allowed applications as explained in the firewall help.

Burkut

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Absolare
Additional Amp
Quad II 80
Other Amp
none
none
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
none
Surround Speakers
none
Surround Back Speakers
none
Front Height Speakers
none
Rear Height Speakers
none
Subwoofers
none
none
Video Display Device
none
Screen
none
Remote Control
none
Streaming Subscriptions
none
REW is a signed and notarized app, so it shouldn't be blocked by the firewall, but it may help to manually add REW to the list of allowed applications as explained in the firewall help.
Thanks, checked that article.
Mac OS firewall very basic and I I've tried all the options with clean installs etc. turning off the firewall also does not work. Do you use java for network connection? if yes maybe version came with the REW "private Java 8 JRE" is not compatible with Catalina 10.15.6

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW is a Java application, is uses Java for everything. I am running REW on macOS 10.15.6 and can access the 8c speakers.

Top Bottom