Dutch & Dutch 8c EQ

indiehouse

Registered
Hi John, I was directed to this thread by Martijn from Dutch & Dutch. Like the others, I am unable to select the 8C's from REW. I am on Mac OS 10.15.7 and running the latest REW build, 5.20.5. I have disabled firewall. My 8C's are connected to a network switch that is connected to the ethernet port on my iMac, allowing network access. I am able to access them via Lanspeaker just fine. I never recieved any REW network prompts of any kind. I would LOVE to utilize the REW/8C integration. Hoping you can help.

I have attached the log folder. Please let me know if there is additional information I can provide.

Edit: I am running firmware 1.4.65 on the 8C's, which has REW support.

Attachments

• REW.zip
    4.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
What are the IP addresses of the speakers? There don't seem to be any responses when REW looks for them.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If you open the Mac's Terminal application and type

arp -a

you will get a list of all the network devices, their IP addresses and which network interface they are on.

indiehouse

Registered
If you open the Mac's Terminal application and type

arp -a

you will get a list of all the network devices, their IP addresses and which network interface they are on.

Thanks John! I attached a screenshot of the results. I really don't know how to interpret this. I assume that the ethernet or bridge line items with a question mark towards the end are the 8C's, but not identified?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Thanks, I have deleted the screenshot to protect mac address info. It looks like the speakers are connected over a network bridge of some sort, so they are on a different subnet (192.168.2.xxx rather than 192.168.1.xxx). That makes it difficult to access them. It would be better to connect them through a switch that just extends the existing network the mac is on rather than creating a separate network.

indiehouse

Registered
Thanks, I have deleted the screenshot to protect mac address info. It looks like the speakers are connected over a network bridge of some sort, so they are on a different subnet (192.168.2.xxx rather than 192.168.1.xxx). That makes it difficult to access them. It would be better to connect them through a switch that just extends the existing network the mac is on rather than creating a separate network.
Oh geesh. Any recommendations off-hand? I used a Netgear GS205 because it was $12 and did the job. I'm sorry I'm so in the dark about this.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That's just a switch, but what is it connected to besides the speakers? It should go to another port on your existing switch or router, the one your mac connects to.

indiehouse

Registered
That's just a switch, but what is it connected to besides the speakers? It should go to another port on your existing switch or router, the one your mac connects to.
It’s connected to the Ethernet port of my iMac, which is on WiFi. I have enabled network thru on the Ethernet, which is why the 8C’s work with lanspeaker. My actual router is on the floor above, which require a 50’ cable run through the family room. Really hoping I can find something that can work off the iMacs Ethernet port like Lanspeaker.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If you have just connected the switch to your mac's Ethernet port and your mac gets its internet connection via WiFi you might be able to get things to work by turning on Internet sharing, or is that what you mean by "network thru"? REW is asking the speakers to respond on the mac's bridge interface, but it isn't getting any answers.

indiehouse

Registered
If you have just connected the switch to your mac's Ethernet port and your mac gets its internet connection via WiFi you might be able to get things to work by turning on Internet sharing, or is that what you mean by "network thru"? REW is asking the speakers to respond on the mac's bridge interface, but it isn't getting any answers.
Yes, that’s what I meant. I enabled ‘Internet Sharing’ so that the 8C’s could access the network through the iMac Ethernet.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Assuming there's nothing odd with the internet sharing settings I don't know why the speakers wouldn't respond to the request from REW, so maybe that's a question back to Martijn, explaining the particular network setup you have.

indiehouse

Registered
Assuming there's nothing odd with the internet sharing settings I don't know why the speakers wouldn't respond to the request from REW, so maybe that's a question back to Martijn, explaining the particular network setup you have.
Yep, I shared the WiFi connection with Ethernet. I will contact Martijn. Thanks John.

indiehouse

Registered
To add a bit more information/troubleshooting, I connected one of the 8C's directly to the iMac ethernet with no change. So, I think that this eliminates my ethernet switcher as the problem.

indiehouse

Registered
Hi John, as an experiment tonight, I ran a 50' ethernet cable straight from my router to one of my 8C's, to see if REW would recognize it. REW did not UNTIL I went into preferences -> Equaliser and changed target type from subwoofer to full range speaker.

This is only with the 8C connected directly to the router via ethernet.

Last edited:

indiehouse

Registered
Well, I spoke too soon. Apparently it's inconsistent. I switched ethernet cables back to the previous iMac/switcher configuration just to see, and REW didn't recognize it. Then back to the Ethernet direct from router AND...REW doesn't recognize it anymore. Square one again. But what implications does this have now that the 8C's are connected directly to the router and still not recognized?

Edit: Sigh. Now it recognizes it again.

Last edited:

indiehouse

Registered
Hi John, in my continued effort to get this working, I tried another experiment. This time, I ran an ethernet cable from my router to the switcher, in which both 8C's are connected to. This time, I get an error message (screenshot attached).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 1.44.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 1.44.06 PM.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 21

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I have seen that logged occasionally, usually soon after turning the speakers on. If you use the "Scan network for speakers" option on the Filter tasks pane of the EQ window you can see if that persists.

indiehouse

Registered
Hi John, just to update you, the null error message is persisting, even after "scan Network for Speakers'. I was able to measure one of my 8C's by connecting it directly to the router, but I've hit another roadblock with this null error message.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I had one report from an 8c user with a similar problem that only affected one speaker of his pair, that was cured by rolling back and reinstalling the last 8c firmware update he had installed.

Cereal Killer

Registered
Have a look at the roon forum, there are issues with certain 8 port+ switches. Try a 5 port switch between them OR assign static IP addresses.

Cereal Killer

Registered
I use a TP-Link TL-SG105 between my 8c's and take that back to my Antipodes CX server which has Ethernet output.
The Ethernet input on the CX connects back to my wider home network.
Laptop/REW connects over Wi-Fi.
It's absolutely rock solid here and I've done a factory reset on the 8c's 2-3 times.
Both speakers and the CX have been given static IP addresses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom