Can one of the 8 channels on my Minidsp U-DIO8 be separated through Audiolense.

Trdat

I have 8 channels on my U-DIO8 which can feed into maximum 4 dacs. Currently, I have a triamp set up with Audiolense crossovers. But I will be setting up 5.2 with tri amp. Pair of tweeters, pair of mid-range, pair of subs that came be potentially monoed, centre channel and rear speakers which have passive crossovers.

This means that one dac needs to be the subs and the center speaker. Can this be routed through Audiolense? To make one channel from the DAC a full range signal while the second channel a sub?

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
It looks straight forward. Do the routing in the measurement module and check that the audio is coming out as it should.

Trdat

It looks straight forward. Do the routing in the measurement module and check that the audio is coming out as it should.
That is great news, I thought I lacked a channel, presuming one DAC can only play the same output left and right. If I can seperate the pair of channels to two different ones than I get a channel for a sub and another for centre. So essentially the pair for L/R(2), Centre(1), for the triamped tweeter(2), Woofer(2) Sub(1) and happy to sum all the subs in one.

The set up will be multichannel 5.1 with one pair triamped.

So I route the channels in Speaker set up and playback formats I must note that there is a centre speaker under the playback format and channel routing tab is that correct? And then in the measurement I check the each channel through the check speakers which I have experience with.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Not sure if I understand your case to the bottom here, Trdat. But just keep asking if the reply in the other thread did not clarify everything.

Trdat

Not sure if I understand your case to the bottom here, Trdat. But just keep asking if the reply in the other thread did not clarify everything.

Hey Bernt,

I am going move forward guessing the answer is yes. If minidsp has the channels 3 and 4 labeled centre and bass and if I can route each channel independantly than I am presuming it is possible. I just have to figure out how to set it up in the playback and channel routing tab in Audiolense, I know how to do it in Jriver. I just have a few questions regarding the multichannel set up.

Firstly, I just need to know if it is possible to set up a surround playback with one pair of speakers with digital crossovers? If so then how do I set it up? I have been playing around in the playback and routing tab and once I move forward with a 5.1 I can't set up left tweeter and left bass etc like I would with my triamp set up. I am sure its possible just can't figure it out.

Last edited:

Trdat

Hey Bernt,

I am going move forward guessing the answer is yes. If minidsp has the channels 3 and 4 labeled centre and bass and if I can route each channel independantly than I am presuming it is possible. I just have to figure out how to set it up in the playback and channel routing tab in Audiolense, I know how to do it in Jriver. I just have a few questions regarding the multichannel set up.

Firstly, I just need to know if it is possible to set up a surround playback with one pair of speakers with digital crossovers? If so then how do I set it up? I have been playing around in the playback and routing tab and once I move forward with a 5.1 I can't set up left tweeter and left bass etc like I would with my triamp set up. I am sure its possible just can't figure it out.

I think i got it. So I choose 5.1 and choose the speaker set up such as a typical 5.1 configuration in the playback and format tab and then in crossovers tab I add the nesecarry channels for the left and right to get tweeter, mid and bass and fix crossover points specifically for left and right or for surround for that matter. Does this sound kind of right...?

I just have to route the channels in th emeasurments and see if this works.

Now, this also means that all my subs have to be summed into one. But what do I do if I have 8 subwoofers most of them just with a splitter from the RCA or XLR but for arguments sake if I had 4 subs woofers if they are summed how do I time align them seperately? At least say the front pair to the back pair...? I only have one channel for subwoofer in which I will feed 2 subs on the RCA and another 2 from the XLR. but essentially its just the one channel feeding into them.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Audiolense will only see the number of da channels you are using. If you connect several subs to one output they should be configured as one sub in Audiolense and will be corrected as one. That may work well, but you don't know until you've tried.

Trdat

Audiolense will only see the number of da channels you are using. If you connect several subs to one output they should be configured as one sub in Audiolense and will be corrected as one. That may work well, but you don't know until you've tried.
In playback format and channel routing each output/input ID has either a 1.00 or a .50 marked what is that?

jrobbins50

Trdat, I believe that you are seeing something similar to what’s in my setup routing. I have three subs in my system. I interpret my setup to route 25% of the total bass signal to my front and side left subs and 50% of the total bass signal to my front right sub, summing together to unity. It sounds you have a similar need on your end. JCR

Attachments

• 5295F995-A3A4-43BD-9981-0F62D0376413.jpeg
    5295F995-A3A4-43BD-9981-0F62D0376413.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 29

Trdat

Trdat, I believe that you are seeing something similar to what’s in my setup routing. I have three subs in my system. I interpret my setup to route 25% of the total bass signal to my front and side left subs and 50% of the total bass signal to my front right sub, summing together to unity. It sounds you have a similar need on your end. JCR

To be honest I have a few configurations I have to try, one adding an active crossover to my biampes speakers leavng 3 channels for each sub to be measured independantly, or leaving those two channels to make the biamp system purely with audiolense crossovers which would leave only one channel for my subs which would have to have them all summed up.

So for the above configuration you have 3 subs but how many channels? I'm hazarding a guess that you have 3 channels for each sub right? My problem is that if I use 4 channels for the biamp it leaves me with only one channel for all my subs.

One way I suppose is to get another DSP with 6 outs for the subs and put in between the DAC and sub amps.

And the whole .5 and ,25 concept I am trying to get my head around.

Last edited:
Top Bottom