AV NIRVANA Speaker Evaluation Event - Tower Speakers $1200 or Less (Results)

lcaillo

In my experience you are correct, but there are also speakers that have good balanced response and are revealing not because they emphasize certain frequencies, but because the have very low distortion and good off axis response. This has been my experience with the Arx 5. I have not heard the new version nor the Emotivas. I would suggest reading the reviews carefully, as they are very thorough and have lots of detail, including the specific recordings being auditioned. These guys really know what they are doing and have lots of experience with reviews like this.

AudioThesis

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Dayens Ampino
Main Amp
MastersounD Evolution 845, Compact 845, Dueventi
Additional Amp
Dayens Ampino Integrated, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks
Other Amp
North Star Design Blue Diamond Integrated Amp
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
North Star Design Magnifico
Front Speakers
Rosso Fiorentino Volterra, Fiesole
Other Speakers or Equipment
Usher Be-10, T-515; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum
Video Display Device
Sony XBR-75X940C
Streaming Subscriptions
North Star Design Supremo, Venti, Intenso, Incanto
There comes a point when you realize that an accentuated top end isn't really adding detail, but simply giving you more energy on the top end. A detailed presentation is from the top of the frequencies all the way to the bottom. This is something that took me several years to understand and really didn't 'hit' me until I began getting into more boutique and high end brands.

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Sony BDP S590 & Pioneer DV-610AV
Front Speakers
JTR NOESIS 210 RT - L/R mains
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Chase VS-18.1 x 2 - Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
h/k TC35C/Ortofon Super OM10/Pro-Ject Phono Box S
There comes a point when you realize that an accentuated top end isn't really adding detail, but simply giving you more energy on the top end. A detailed presentation is from the top of the frequencies all the way to the bottom. This is something that took me several years to understand and really didn't 'hit' me until I began getting into more boutique and high end brands.

"Bright" can be taken as "forward", but I try to differentiate between the two. Bright, to me, indicates a tendency toward treble energy. Forward is a feature of soundstage presentation, or proximity of the listener to the virtual stage.

AudioThesis

More  
Dayens Ampino
Main Amp
MastersounD Evolution 845, Compact 845, Dueventi
Additional Amp
Dayens Ampino Integrated, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks
Other Amp
North Star Design Blue Diamond Integrated Amp
North Star Design Magnifico
Front Speakers
Rosso Fiorentino Volterra, Fiesole
Usher Be-10, T-515; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum
Video Display Device
Sony XBR-75X940C
Streaming Subscriptions
North Star Design Supremo, Venti, Intenso, Incanto
A forward speaker projects a soundstage that is in front of the speaker. A recessed speaker does the opposite. Your example is a great one of how many terms many in this hobby are ignorant about but use frequently. I know I was guilty of it for a handful of years and every now and then, I still experience something new with a speaker that makes me reach for the nearest adjective to describe it.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
The JBL was the one that stood out to me as being bright, or close to bright.

The term Detail is used a lot of ways. It often refers - indirectly - to a region around 2 to 4 kHz. A small lift in the frequency response there, along with low distortion of course, will have you hearing a recording in a new way. In that range, many instruments and voices have a lot of harmonic information available, plus our hearing is most sensitive there, Even a small "voicing" response bump, 1 dB, can breathe life to a drab sounding speaker.

Last edited:

gooddoc

More  
AVM 60
Main Amp
M2 - Crown iTech 5000HD, All others - Crown 8|300n
Oppo 203
Front Speakers
JBL M2
Center Channel Speaker
JBL LSR 708i
Surround Speakers
JBL LSR 708i
Front Height Speakers
Ceilings LSR 705i
Subwoofers
HSU 15"
Video Display Device
JVC 4910
Why do all of the Dirac curves slope up after 10kHz? That had to be intentional target curve? Why?

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Why do all of the Dirac curves slope up after 10kHz? That had to be intentional target curve? Why?
I asked the same question. Wayne isn't certain. It showed up in all the measurements and was not a part of the target curve. It is suspected to be an artifact of doing a single point measurement and correction approach they used to save time.

I did some of my own experiments after this to see if I could replicate the anomalous results and could not. What I can say is that having tested 1, 3, 6, and 8 point measurement corrections in Dirac, I didn't find a major difference in the sound quality when sitting in just a single seat. The more measurements included in the correction the lower the standard deviation of the measures, but within the box that your head sits, the differences were small.

I artificially created the same curve that Wayne created with my speakers to see if I could hear the up tilt at 10khz and could not with certainty. Suffice it to say, I don't think that this created any sound quality problems to be concerned with. Our ears are pretty insensitive to such high frequencies.

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
Hey, @gooddoc , glad to see you here!

gooddoc

More  
AVM 60
Main Amp
Oppo 203
Front Speakers
JBL M2
Center Channel Speaker
JBL LSR 708i
Surround Speakers
JBL LSR 708i
Front Height Speakers
Ceilings LSR 705i
Subwoofers
HSU 15"
Video Display Device
JVC 4910
I asked the same question. Wayne isn't certain. It showed up in all the measurements and was not a part of the target curve. It is suspected to be an artifact of doing a single point measurement and correction approach they used to save time.

I did some of my own experiments after this to see if I could replicate the anomalous results and could not. What I can say is that having tested 1, 3, 6, and 8 point measurement corrections in Dirac, I didn't find a major difference in the sound quality when sitting in just a single seat. The more measurements included in the correction the lower the standard deviation of the measures, but within the box that your head sits, the differences were small.

I artificially created the same curve that Wayne created with my speakers to see if I could hear the up tilt at 10khz and could not with certainty. Suffice it to say, I don't think that this created any sound quality problems to be concerned with. Our ears are pretty insensitive to such high frequencies.

Hmmm. Yeah, hard to say. So many variables. I can hear 1 dB adjustments in the 2-10 KHz range, and those curves are impacting that FR range as well, making them either flat or slightly rising in some instances. Even flat here will make a well designed speaker sound bright.

But in the big picture likely not to fundamentally change overall impressions of these speakers.

The impact of the room corrrection solutions above Schroeder are fairly dependent on the speaker design, room, and number of speakers. They are detrimental in my system for 2 channel above Schroeder, but helpful above that for my multichannel Atmos calibrations.

And I've used Dirac, Audyssey, and ARC in my room. Currently using ARC.

Last edited:

gooddoc

More  
AVM 60
Main Amp
Oppo 203
Front Speakers
JBL M2
Center Channel Speaker
JBL LSR 708i
Surround Speakers
JBL LSR 708i
Front Height Speakers
Ceilings LSR 705i
Subwoofers
HSU 15"
Video Display Device
JVC 4910
Hey, @gooddoc , glad to see you here!
Thanks! The quality of the posts here immediately caught my attention. Glad to be here and I'll try not to lower the level of discourse :nerd:

Hlam

Just found and finished reading this thread. Made for a great read.
Great job on the evaluations. Thanks for putting in all the work.

DrDyna

More  
MiniDSP 10x10 / Denon x6200W
Main Amp
MiniDSP PWR-ICE 250 / Carver AV-806x
Additional Amp
Behringer EP-2000 / NU4-6000 / 3000 DSP
Other Amp
Crest Pro 9200
Sony X800
Front Speakers
DIY Acoustic Elegance TD10m / Beyma TPL-200/h
Center Channel Speaker
DIYSG Fusion 15 for cinema LCR
Surround Speakers
(New builds coming soon)
Surround Back Speakers
(New builds coming soon)
Subwoofers
B&C 21SW152 single fold tapped horns
UM15-22 BR 17hz / TC Sounds Epic12 OD-ML-TL / SI18
Remote Control
Android device
Streaming Subscriptions
So much junk.
Thanks fellas, fun read :)

I put together a playlist on Spotify of the tracks mentioned, gonna re-read and do a follow along listen next chance I get.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
Subwoofers
Tried to reproduce the HF lift in the measurements, and my guess is that I accidentally used the wrong calibration curve in the Dirac Live project. The Dirac projects do not save a record of the mic cal file used, but that is my best guess. All things considered, I believe the impact to be minor, and our results to be valid just the same.

The lesson? There are 1 zillion details to keep straight and be careful about, and they ALL MATTER.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
Subwoofers
The impact of the room corrrection solutions above Schroeder are fairly dependent on the speaker design, room, and number of speakers. They are detrimental in my system for 2 channel above Schroeder, but helpful above that for my multichannel Atmos calibrations.

Good comments, and I will not argue your assessment about 2-channel and Dirac, except that Schroeder was not a soundstage and imaging guy.

gooddoc

More  
AVM 60
Main Amp
Oppo 203
Front Speakers
JBL M2
Center Channel Speaker
JBL LSR 708i
Surround Speakers
JBL LSR 708i
Front Height Speakers
Ceilings LSR 705i
Subwoofers
HSU 15"
Video Display Device
JVC 4910
Tried to reproduce the HF lift in the measurements, and my guess is that I accidentally used the wrong calibration curve in the Dirac Live project. The Dirac projects do not save a record of the mic cal file used, but that is my best guess. All things considered, I believe the impact to be minor, and our results to be valid just the same.

The lesson? There are 1 zillion details to keep straight and be careful about, and they ALL MATTER.
Yes, there are so many potential little details to be inadvertantly missed. But letting the perfect be the enemy of the good would result in no one wanting to try anything, and no knowledge gained whatsoever. No one should impugn the efforts here. Experimentation is not about figuring out the one way to do something, but instead figuring out the many ways NOT to do something :wits::T
Good comments, and I will not argue your assessment about 2-channel and Dirac, except that Schroeder was not a soundstage and imaging guy.
Yeah, and he's also not in your room listening :greengrin:, so if anyone thinks full range EQ works better in their system, by all means use it!

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
Subwoofers
So true, gooddoc.

Schroeder was not a soundstage and imaging guy

...All due respect for his contributions to the state of the art. And an admonition to not be afraid to think for oneself.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
So true, gooddoc.

...All due respect for his contributions to the state of the art. And an admonition to not be afraid to think for oneself.

I'm still convinced of Dirac's benefit in both 2 channel and multi-channel, but I have found that its effectiveness is very room and speaker dependent. The better the initial setup and speakers the less obvious the effect is. With some kinds of music I've had a number of people tell me in my theater that they couldn't tell what Dirac was doing, that its effect wasn't obvious to them. While this wasn't blinded for me (since I was switching), I'll readily admit that I too didn't think I could hear much difference. In rooms with lesser speakers or where the room itself is not as good, it seems like it always made an obvious difference. As a whole I like it better than without by quite a bit.

Gooddoc has exceptional speakers that use active biamplification which ensures perfect speaker to speaker consistency in the filter's and perfect/ideal filters themselves. The speakers also have ideal directivity. That would make the benefit of Dirac mostly in removing remaining room anomalies (which won't be as prevalent as with most speakers) and bass issues (which Gooddoc may not have had). While I find that Dirac correction always measures substantially better than without correction, There is a strong argument to be made that these anomalies above FS are not overly audible.

gooddoc

More  
AVM 60
Main Amp
Oppo 203
Front Speakers
JBL M2
Center Channel Speaker
JBL LSR 708i
Surround Speakers
JBL LSR 708i
Front Height Speakers
Ceilings LSR 705i
Subwoofers
HSU 15"
Video Display Device
JVC 4910
I'm still convinced of Dirac's benefit in both 2 channel and multi-channel, but I have found that its effectiveness is very room and speaker dependent. The better the initial setup and speakers the less obvious the effect is. With some kinds of music I've had a number of people tell me in my theater that they couldn't tell what Dirac was doing, that its effect wasn't obvious to them. While this wasn't blinded for me (since I was switching), I'll readily admit that I too didn't think I could hear much difference. In rooms with lesser speakers or where the room itself is not as good, it seems like it always made an obvious difference. As a whole I like it better than without by quite a bit.

Gooddoc has exceptional speakers that use active biamplification which ensures perfect speaker to speaker consistency in the filter's and perfect/ideal filters themselves. The speakers also have ideal directivity. That would make the benefit of Dirac mostly in removing remaining room anomalies (which won't be as prevalent as with most speakers) and bass issues (which Gooddoc may not have had). While I find that Dirac correction always measures substantially better than without correction, There is a strong argument to be made that these anomalies above FS are not overly audible.

Bass has always benefitted from RC in my room for sure. I could live with a fully corrected 2 channel as well, but there is no doubt I prefer no correction above 1 or 2kHz. As you point out, the differences are fairly subtle and only heard in critical 2 channel listening.

I think there is plenty about my room that could potentially be corrected to improve the SQ. The problem is that I'm not convinced any RC, Dirac included, can process the signals reaching the microphone at the listening position and know everything that needs correction and everything that doesn't. In the process of correcting things that need correcting, it is also correcting things that don't need correcting. And that may be the reason why I don't prefer full range EQ for 2 channel.

With multichannel, for multiple reasons, it seems the magnitude of the benefits outweigh any mistakes being made.

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
Most every implementation of Dirac Live I have heard, many rooms and system including my own, has been an improvement.

There were a few instances during this evaluation that I preferred no Dirac, I cannot put my finger on why. I do like to shut it off at home when I want the bombast of high SPL coupled with my manual house curve, playing tracks like from Bassotronics or watching action movies. Mostly because Dirac has dialed back the bass a bit more than I like.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
Subwoofers
I'm not convinced any RC, Dirac included, can process the signals reaching the microphone at the listening position and know everything that needs correction and everything that doesn't. In the process of correcting things that need correcting, it is also correcting things that don't need correcting

Not meaning to re-state the obvious, and your personal preference and experience are certainly what matter...

The way this is accomplished is part of the "secret family recipe" that makes Dirac Live special. They DO claim to have a way to accomplish exactly what you suggest, by analyzing the poles and zeroes of the possible filter points across the speaker measurements, and determining what filter points are needed and will "do no harm," or not make matters worse elsewhere in the room or in a neighboring frequency band.

I will also say that I was a slow convert to Dirac Live, believing that I could do better via hand-tuning. I finally had to admit that Dirac did better than I could by hand every time, and got there a LOT faster.

Eric SVL

More  
Denon AVR-X4500H
Main Amp
Hypex NCore NC252MP
Computer Audio
iLoud MTM
DAC
Micca OriGen G2
Sony PS3, PS4
Front Speakers
Buchardt S400
Surround Speakers
Polk LSiM 702
Front Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Subwoofers
Rythmik
ELAC Debut Reference DFR52
Screen
Samsung PN64H5000
Streaming Equipment
Google Chromecast
Streaming Subscriptions
GIK Tri-Traps
Most every implementation of Dirac Live I have heard, many rooms and system including my own, has been an improvement.

There were a few instances during this evaluation that I preferred no Dirac, I cannot put my finger on why. I do like to shut it off at home when I want the bombast of high SPL coupled with my manual house curve, playing tracks like from Bassotronics or watching action movies. Mostly because Dirac has dialed back the bass a bit more than I like.
Audyssey was guilty of the same thing - I just increase my sub levels after calibration to run them where I want them, which is around +5dB with normal damping, and +10dB with high damping (because high damping sounds like leaner bass).

Anyway, getting off topic. Great speaker eval, and it has helped me put together a short list for my own eval.

Last edited:

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Audyssey was guilty of the same thing - I just increase my sub levels after calibration to run them where I want them, which is around +5dB with normal damping, and +10dB with high damping (because high damping sounds like leaner bass).

Anyway, getting off topic. Great speaker eval, and it has helped me put together a short list for my own eval.

But unlike Audyssey, Dirac gives you full control over the bass. You can make it as hot as you want.

Eric SVL

More  
Denon AVR-X4500H
Main Amp
Hypex NCore NC252MP
Computer Audio
iLoud MTM
DAC
Micca OriGen G2
Sony PS3, PS4
Front Speakers
Buchardt S400
Surround Speakers
Polk LSiM 702
Front Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Subwoofers
Rythmik
Screen
Samsung PN64H5000
Streaming Equipment
Google Chromecast
Streaming Subscriptions
GIK Tri-Traps
But unlike Audyssey, Dirac gives you full control over the bass. You can make it as hot as you want.
My AVR (Denon X4000) lets me adjust sub levels after Audyssey calibration. You always want to do it this way rather than adjusting the dials on the subs.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
My AVR (Denon X4000) lets me adjust sub levels after Audyssey calibration. You always want to do it this way rather than adjusting the dials on the subs.

Dirac’s house curve adjustment is completely different. It isn’t just raising the bass of the subwoofer. It ensures more seamless integration. My point was that where as Audyssey locked you into their chosen response curve, you could do just about anything you wanted with the response shape in Dirac. A great deal more flexibility.

Eric SVL

More  
Denon AVR-X4500H
Main Amp
Hypex NCore NC252MP
Computer Audio
iLoud MTM
DAC
Micca OriGen G2
Sony PS3, PS4
Front Speakers
Buchardt S400
Surround Speakers
Polk LSiM 702
Front Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Chorus OD 706 V
Subwoofers
Rythmik
Screen
Samsung PN64H5000
Streaming Equipment
Google Chromecast
Streaming Subscriptions
GIK Tri-Traps
Dirac’s house curve adjustment is completely different. It isn’t just raising the bass of the subwoofer. It ensures more seamless integration. My point was that where as Audyssey locked you into their chosen response curve, you could do just about anything you wanted with the response shape in Dirac. A great deal more flexibility.
Of course, and in the future I hope that makes its way into electronics that are more accessible to consumers, such as AVRs. That will probably be when I get my hands on it.

I was just replying to tesseract's issue with Dirac's low bass levels.

The other way Audyssey dealt with that issue was with Dynamic EQ, which altered the curve based on output levels, in line with Fletcher Munson.

Top Bottom