AL 3-way + subs setup

rdalem

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
RME Fireface UCX
Streaming Equipment
Roon
I currently have a 3-way setup, but will add 2 subs. Actually, I'm going to add 4 subs connected to a Crown 4/300. But I haven't decided whether this should be operated bridged. In any case, I have doubts about the AL configuration setup.

Ofer

More  
miniDSP 4x10hd
Main Amp
Emotiva XPR200 midrange amp
Additional Amp
Crest audio 2001A bass amp, Crest audio 8002 sub
Other Amp
Rotel RA930ax twitter amp
Computer Audio
Sony Bravia android TV
DAC
RME FF400
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Marantz original 5E CD
Front Speakers
Andromeda MkII
Subwoofers
18" OEM powered subwoofer, 18" Martycube Dayton A.
Screen
Sony bravia 65XF9005
Streaming Subscriptions
Deezer HiFi
Other Equipment
HP i5 running W10, HLC convolver for Audio Lense filters
There are many users here with more then one sub setup. Mine is 3-way and 2 subs. You can post what you plan to do and get some ideas. Do you want the subs to be 'separate' stand alone subs or to serve as the low end of your '4-way' system?

rdalem

Registered
More  
RME Fireface UCX
Streaming Equipment
Roon
The plan is to add something below 50Hz. And serve something under my current system is correctly formulated.

What I'm having a bit of a doubt about is whether it would make sense to split the 4 subs into 4 channels, or go for 2 channels. I see the benefits of being able to control multiple drivers. But will this give anything? Tuning below 80Hz is probably not that rewarding considering where you hear the sound coming from.

Finally comes the setup configuration selection in Audiolense. 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 4.0 and so on. What options do I have here with my system?

whoareyou

More  
Main Amp
Benchmark AHB2
Additional Amp
ATI AT525NC
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Exasound E38
Front Speakers
Psb synchrony one
Center Channel Speaker
PSB synchrony one C
Surround Speakers
Revel m105
From my experience with 2 subs (5.2) it was not possible to say which was better until I measured, generated filters, and then istened to each filter to see which I thought sounded better..

I initially created a couple different setups i.e. separate subs and parallel subs, and then measured with each setup. Once you have the measurements it's easy enough to generate filters for each.

FWIW I settled on running the subs in parallel, but that has no relation to your room or subs.

So, IMHO it's really best to experiment, generate, listen with various setup configurations.
Guess it depends on how much time you're willing to spend on it :)

Ofer

More  
miniDSP 4x10hd
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Computer Audio
Sony Bravia android TV
DAC
RME FF400
Marantz original 5E CD
Front Speakers
Andromeda MkII
Subwoofers
Screen
Sony bravia 65XF9005
Streaming Subscriptions
Deezer HiFi
Other Equipment
whoareyou is completely right. I would like to add that once a speaker is delegated as sub in AL all the bass below the xo point is of-loaded to it. You can't overlap the sub to the mains, like sub 20-80hz and mains 70-20khz. You can do it if the sub is assigned as another driver in a speaker setup, turning it from 3-way to 4-way. Since you have 4 subs if the other 2 will be assigned as subs then again all the bass will be ofloaded to them. Keep that in mind when you are playing around with setup configurations.

rdalem

Registered
More  
RME Fireface UCX
Streaming Equipment
Roon
If I understand correctly, then a 4-way or 5-way system would be the most correct.

Ofer

More  
miniDSP 4x10hd
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Computer Audio
Sony Bravia android TV
DAC
RME FF400
Marantz original 5E CD
Front Speakers
Andromeda MkII
Subwoofers
Screen
Sony bravia 65XF9005
Streaming Subscriptions
Deezer HiFi
Other Equipment
Not necessarily. With 2 main speakers and 4 subs it might get tricky. Remember that once a sub is assigned as a separate speaker all bass is ofloaded to it. Look for post from users adding subs to their system (including myself) and you will see how it plays out. You can post pictures of your speaker assignment and I am sure people will try to help. If you are ready, gear wise, to start measurements then that would be your best route.

Top Bottom