active resonance control?

zangaidaige

Hi

Can audiolense perform an active room standing wave control?

1682480398200.png

My room have a serious 20db dip at 43 Hz so it is not possible use filter to flat it. If I can apply some time delay and let speaker produce some out of phase wave I believe this issue can be solved.

Also Dirac has this feature called "Live Active Room Treatment"

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
What you describe is what Audiolense does when the time domain correction is used. But it will not eliminate the suck-out. "Live Active Treatment" and similar solutions require multiple basses on different locations ... where the reflections from e.g. front left bass is cancelled by other speakers.

Audiolense can probably correct this dip too, but it is doubtful that the result will sound better than aiming for a compromise. You should be able to narrow the dip substantially with Audiolense by using the default correction, though ... maybe to a level that borders on inaudible.

zangaidaige

What you describe is what Audiolense does when the time domain correction is used. But it will not eliminate the suck-out. "Live Active Treatment" and similar solutions require multiple basses on different locations ... where the reflections from e.g. front left bass is cancelled by other speakers.

Audiolense can probably correct this dip too, but it is doubtful that the result will sound better than aiming for a compromise. You should be able to narrow the dip substantially with Audiolense by using the default correction, though ... maybe to a level that borders on inaudible.
Can audiolense also do "live active treatment " for low end peaks which are casued by reflection of wall if I setup mutiple basses?
And see the difference in waterfall plot?

Room treatment is quite expense and I want clean bass.

jjazdk

Can audiolense also do "live active treatment " for low end peaks which are casued by reflection of wall if I setup mutiple basses?

No, AudioLense cannot do that.
You could instead experiment with MSO, as it can simulate the response of an "love active treatment" setup.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
I think you will experience a very precise bass with Audiolense. In fact, you can try it with the demo and make your own judgements. The demo only works for stereo without digital crossovers, though.

Sound correction is most effective in the bass. If the room is too lively it will hurt more higher up in frequency. So I believe you will like the bass performance.

Now, since this start to look like a sales pitch anyway; There is a 3 months satisfaction guarantee on Audiolense … with full refund if you decide that you’re better off without it … for whatever reason. This guarantee is called upon a couple of times every year, and I am glad for it since it confirms that the guarantee is credible.

And if you some time after having claimed a refund want to give it another go … you’re mostly welcome back and the same guarantee applies once more.

In short: This is a completely reversible purchase without any strings attached.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member

@jjazdk is correct in principle. And sometimes in practice too. But not always. There are a lot of extreme rigs with extreme capabilities below 50 Hz that uses Audiolense. Audiolense has perhaps the most powerful single speaker bass correction there is. Implementation means a lot and how it fits with your rig means even more.

You need to try different solutions to decide which one gives the best sound in your system. But mind you, the midrange is at least as important as the bass … and the top needs to be under control too.

Ofer

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
miniDSP 4x10hd
Main Amp
Emotiva XPR200 midrange amp
Additional Amp
Crest audio 2001A bass amp, Crest audio 8002 sub
Other Amp
Rotel RA930ax twitter amp
Computer Audio
Sony Bravia android TV
DAC
RME FF400
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Marantz original 5E CD
Front Speakers
Andromeda MkII
Subwoofers
18" OEM powered subwoofer, 18" Martycube Dayton A.
Screen
Sony bravia 65XF9005
Streaming Subscriptions
Deezer HiFi
Other Equipment
HP i5 running W10, HLC convolver for Audio Lense filters
Just to understand it better. Assuming multiple subs that 'compensate' each others nulls. Does AL take into account these compansations or treats each sub as a standalone speaker that needs to be corrected? Hope I am making sense.

zangaidaige

I think you will experience a very precise bass with Audiolense. In fact, you can try it with the demo and make your own judgements. The demo only works for stereo without digital crossovers, though.

Sound correction is most effective in the bass. If the room is too lively it will hurt more higher up in frequency. So I believe you will like the bass performance.

Now, since this start to look like a sales pitch anyway; There is a 3 months satisfaction guarantee on Audiolense … with full refund if you decide that you’re better off without it … for whatever reason. This guarantee is called upon a couple of times every year, and I am glad for it since it confirms that the guarantee is credible.

And if you some time after having claimed a refund want to give it another go … you’re mostly welcome back and the same guarantee applies once more.

In short: This is a completely reversible purchase without any strings attached.
Well I already own audiolense.
I am just wondering if bass control can be better if I add muliple basses?
I just make before after waterfall comparison using true time correction

before
1682538348028.png

And after
1682538467530.png

I do see filter can improve reverberation time in some frequency but I want more cleaner waterfall.

jjazdk

Just to understand it better. Assuming multiple subs that 'compensate' each others nulls. Does AL take into account these compansations or treats each sub as a standalone speaker that needs to be corrected? Hope I am making sense.
Audiolense can treat subwoofers in two ways:
1. As one big subwoofer, all drivers combined and one correction filter.
2. As x-number of stand alone speakers, that does not know about each other.

The answer to your question is:
Audiolense does not directly take into account the effect of multiple subwoofers canceling each others nulls.

zangaidaige

1682539466713.png

This feature looks awesome! But Dirac not be able to perform flexable active crossover like audiolense.

zangaidaige

Audiolense can treat subwoofers in two ways:
1. As one big subwoofer, all drivers combined and one correction filter.
2. As x-number of stand alone speakers, that does not know about each other.

The answer to your question is:
Audiolense does not directly take into account the effect of multiple subwoofers canceling each others nulls.
Have you try dirac before? Dirac looks cannot do digital crossover like audiolense

jjazdk

Have you try dirac before? Dirac looks cannot do digital crossover like audiolense
I have not tried Dirac, as it does not support my setup.
And, you are right, Dirac does not support digital crossovers for multiway speakers.

zangaidaige

I have not tried Dirac, as it does not support my setup.
And, you are right, Dirac does not support digital crossovers for multiway speakers.
Well I can do crossover in my audio interface software if I use Dirac but I guess it is better audiolense develop similar feature later.

zangaidaige

Does audiolense have plan to develop active bass control feature in the future?

Ofer

More  
miniDSP 4x10hd
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Computer Audio
Sony Bravia android TV
DAC
RME FF400
Marantz original 5E CD
Front Speakers
Andromeda MkII
Subwoofers
Screen
Sony bravia 65XF9005
Streaming Subscriptions
Deezer HiFi
Other Equipment
Well I can do crossover in my audio interface software if I use Dirac but I guess it is better audiolense develop similar feature later.
If you do that Dirac will work on the signal post the digital crossovers it won't be able to take advantage of the each discreet channel. At least that is what I understood. This new ARC feature is currently planed to be implemented in super expensive processors.

Last edited:

BenToronto

Is DSP just "lipstick on a pig"? Are speaker enclosure or room sounds still audible even when the FR (which is all the DSP changes) are still present?

You can certainly restrain resonances by choice of speaker enclosure, room treatment, or what is called "management" of speakers location and listener seats. Nearly every music room I've ever seen seems to strive for terrible reflections. Maybe some day wall to wall carpeting will come back and stuffed easy chairs, I surely hope so.

Yes, there is "active" correction and it occurs in two forms and it is the correct way to use the technical term "active". There is motional feedback for drivers and there are room absorber devices (which are actually very much like motional feedback speakers). Both involve feedback circuits which drive an amplifier to power ("active") the correction.

Anyone who has used motional feedback woofers, either DIY or when offered commercially, will rave about how good it is. The room devices are not used much and I don't know the consensus.

Ben

Last edited:

TNT

If you do it right, it's lipstick on beauty with the end result of a total stunner!

//

BenToronto

I have been using motional feedback on and off since 1966 and DSP since maybe 2010, so I have a modest perspective on both.

I love my DSP and how great it is working with REW to make improvements fast. Couldn't be happier with it. But not much that it does that couldn't be accomplished without it.

B.

Ofer

More  
miniDSP 4x10hd
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Computer Audio
Sony Bravia android TV
DAC
RME FF400
Marantz original 5E CD
Front Speakers
Andromeda MkII
Subwoofers
Screen
Sony bravia 65XF9005
Streaming Subscriptions
Deezer HiFi
Other Equipment
I have been using motional feedback on and off since 1966 and DSP since maybe 2010, so I have a modest perspective on both.

I love my DSP and how great it is working with REW to make improvements fast. Couldn't be happier with it. But not much that it does that couldn't be accomplished without it.

B.
Did you try using AL for DSP? It is much more robust then REW and can work in the time domain as well. Time domain corrections make a noticble improvement in sound. Both measured and heard IMO.

Top Bottom