Other Speakers or Equipment
BSS BLU 50
Streaming Equipment
RPi4 using RopieeeXL
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
Other Equipment
All Belden 1800F and 1313A
Then it's non existent! :) The thought of setting the volume manually and it staying that way without ASIO being "attached" all the time is critical. Still sounds like a pain in the honestly. Motu = open program, adjust using the UI and close. Done.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
There's one major flaw with the DM7 that I've posted about on ASR. There is no way to adjust the volume on each output channel manually. You really want to level match each channel BEFORE taking any measurements. This totally sucks IMO.
IMO you do not need to worry about level matching before measurement. If you could do it with the DM7 it would happen in the digital domaing. The same thing that will happen if you let Audiolense do the level matching. The signal should be exactly the same after correction.

jtwrace

More  
Main Amp
(4) Hypex NC502MP
DAC
Topping D90
Front Speakers
JBL M2
Subwoofers
(2) Rythmik FM8, (1) UM18, (1) Custom DIY Ciare 18
Other Speakers or Equipment
BSS BLU 50
Streaming Equipment
RPi4 using RopieeeXL
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
Other Equipment
All Belden 1800F and 1313A
IMO you do not need to worry about level matching before measurement. If you could do it with the DM7 it would happen in the digital domaing. The same thing that will happen if you let Audiolense do the level matching. The signal should be exactly the same after correction.
Interesting that you say that given Mitch's experience. Also, if you don't level match beforehand, you run a high risk of clipping or blowing a driver.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Let me elaborate: We typically have somewhere north of 140 dB to work with in the digital domain, while most music is 16 or 20 bit. In any case, the lowest 30-40 dB will be inaudible. So if you use e.g. 12 dB for correction and 6 dB for level-matching, you still have ample headroom.

On very sensitive systems, gain matching may have merits, but ideally it should be done by lowering the sensitivity of the amps.

I do not see how digital attenuation can make a difference here.

Kal Rubinson

Then it's non existent! :) The thought of setting the volume manually and it staying that way without ASIO being "attached" all the time is critical.
From the reports I've read, the settings are set in the device by the ASIO and it sticks without being "attached" (just as with the exaSound). I will get around to trying it in a few days.

whoareyou

More  
Main Amp
Benchmark AHB2
Additional Amp
ATI AT525NC
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Exasound E38
Front Speakers
Psb synchrony one
Center Channel Speaker
PSB synchrony one C
Surround Speakers
Revel m105
In other threads, there have been (several) posts stating that without level matching there can be "excessive filter insertion loss", or something like that. My interpretation of that phrase is that when level matching is not completed prior to measurement, correction filters may be excessive, and as a result one will lose headroom.

So, with Audiolense is there such thing as excessive filter insertion loss if one does not level match prior to measurement?

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
So, with Audiolense is there such thing as excessive filter insertion loss if one does not level match prior to measurement?

It is not a term I have been using. Excessive loss due to excessive correction at one of the flanks does happen from time to time, but can always be eliminated by adjusting the target and / or correction procedure.

Omid

Having the ability to adjust gain settings in a DAC is a good feature, imo.
It allows you to trim your output to match the sensitivity of the next item in your audio chain (usu a preamp or amp). Too much gain and you may have signal clipping, too little gain and you’re not taking taking advantage of the full dynamic range of your system. My amp and active subwoofers have very different input sensitivities so trimming the output of each individual DAC channel is a really good thing.
This is a general comment, I haven’t checked the dm7 settings in particular.

Top Bottom